Sign in to follow this  
twisted8

Would upgrading the secondary video card help with fps?

Hello. I'm running 2 video cards with 4 monitors. If I close the panels on the secondary video card obviously I get better frame rate. Main card is a 9800gtx the second card is a 8600gts. Would upgrading the 8600gts be worth it? It's only for panels. No outside view.Thanksrunning fsx. Intel core2 duo 3.00 ghz

Hello. I'm running 2 video cards with 4 monitors. If I close the panels on the secondary video card obviously I get better frame rate. Main card is a 9800gtx the second card is a 8600gts. Would upgrading the 8600gts be worth it? It's only for panels. No outside view.Thanksrunning fsx. Intel core2 duo 3.00 ghz
I think frame rate may depend on WHAT panels/popups you place on secondary monitors. At least on my FS9 triple monitor arrangement, large/complex sub panels such as Overhead or COM are frame rate killers when opened on either of the outer mons- that is, on either of the video cards. But smaller popups such as CDU have no apparent effect- in fact I can open both PMDG 747 Capt. & 1st Officer CDUs at same time with no FPS effect whatsoever. (Handy to have different FMC/CDU pages open!) I would be surprised if a faster secondary card would have any effect on FPS. Any reason you don't display a second or third view to complement View Fwd and increase total Field of View? Alex Reid

thank you for the reply.I plan on adding a dualhead2go to one of the outputs on the 9800gtx to bring it to a total of 3 monitors and have forward-left, forward and forward-right. But for example if it take one of the forward views and move it to a monitor connected to the 8600gts card the frame rate drops dramatically. If i hadanother 9800gtx would the frame drop not be so drastic or it wouldn't make a difference since it's a CPU limitation?thanks

thank you for the reply.I plan on adding a dualhead2go to one of the outputs on the 9800gtx to bring it to a total of 3 monitors and have forward-left, forward and forward-right. But for example if it take one of the forward views and move it to a monitor connected to the 8600gts card the frame rate drops dramatically. If i hadanother 9800gtx would the frame drop not be so drastic or it wouldn't make a difference since it's a CPU limitation?thanks
I don't have hands-on familiarity with DH2go but it 's my understanding that it gives you a single view spread over two monitors- not two separate views.My system uses 2 video cards- the AGP with 2 ports drives Views Forward & Forward Right. The other PCI card drives View Forward Left. The three views are integrated into what your eyes see as a Single very wide view via simple Panel Config adjustments.-------My FPS drops to roughly 50% with triple views. But the smoothness or fluidity remains same as with only single view.How come? There is only one CPU- so only one view is being updated at a time. The other two views are frozen at that moment- so they have an infinitely HIGH frame rate. That is, 2/3 of the whole, INTEGRATED image is always perfectly smooth while 1/3 is being updated. Your brain sees a smooth combined pic.As long as the frame rate (for the view being updated at that moment) remains above, say 15-16, your brain sees a combined very smooth picture- just about as smooth as with one view only!A strange effect is that in very heavy duty scenery such as KLAX at night, FPS on my 5 yr old 'puter can drop as low as 7-8 yet the plane is still very smoothly flyable. Only very nearby objects such as runway lights flashing past wingtips will exhibit some chattering.Hope this helps- Alex Reid

Hi,Upgrading your second card will not make any difference. All the second card is being used for is connections for more monitors. It has no bearing on performance. The main card controls all the functions in a non SLI/Crossfire mode.I loose about 5 FPS when I undock a panel to a secondary monitor. It is the same whether I am using one or two cards.Bill