Sign in to follow this  
Ant1981

Corrupt log books

This is happening to me quite frequently, why would this be happening?Plus, how can I enter my last flight that didn't get logged?

This is happening to me quite frequently, why would this be happening?Plus, how can I enter my last flight that didn't get logged?
It most likely happens becasue you tried to edit the logbookfrom within FSX...that is a no-no. There is a problem withFSX when it comes to editing the logbook.There are 3rd party logbook editors that will not PORK thelogbook as FSX does. Search the forums for 'corrupted logbook'and you should fine all the info you need. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

It most likely happens becasue you tried to edit the logbookfrom within FSX...that is a no-no. There is a problem withFSX when it comes to editing the logbook.
No, I've never ever done this. So I'm still trying to work out why this happens.
There are 3rd party logbook editors that will not PORK thelogbook as FSX does. Search the forums for 'corrupted logbook'and you should fine all the info you need. Paul
I've got a logbook tool that as far as I know, only repairs a corrupt log.

Guest Auger

This log book editor ( http://lc0277.nerim.net/logbookedit-020207.zip ) is the best one I have used. If your logbook is stuck and won't record any more flights, deleting the last entry usually fixes it. It will also allow you to edit any entries and create new ones.

I've had another log book corruption. Why? :(
First of all what have you done with your original corrupt logbook? Did you repair it? Did you delete it and let FSX rebuild a new one? What??Search the AVSIM file library and download fsxlogrecovery11.zip. This utility will search for any screwed up entries in your logbook and get rid of them. Then search the AVSIM file library for logbookedit-0411062225.zip. This utility will allow you to make edits to your logbook file.Who the heck knows why your logbook is getting corrupted. You've given absolutely no information regarding your compter system or your FSX installation and any tweaks that you may have made to it. Asking "why" is akin to asking for the members here to find "a needle in a haystack".

First of all what have you done with your original corrupt logbook? Did you repair it? Did you delete it and let FSX rebuild a new one? What??Search the AVSIM file library and download fsxlogrecovery11.zip. This utility will search for any screwed up entries in your logbook and get rid of them. Then search the AVSIM file library for logbookedit-0411062225.zip. This utility will allow you to make edits to your logbook file.Who the heck knows why your logbook is getting corrupted. You've given absolutely no information regarding your compter system or your FSX installation and any tweaks that you may have made to it. Asking "why" is akin to asking for the members here to find "a needle in a haystack".
I've been using FXLogbook, to find the screwed up line and repair it.I'll tell you why I've given no information as to why it gets corrupted, because I haven't a clue why. :( It's not a needle in a haystack to someone who knows a little about logs.My system is an E6600, 4gb ram (3 seen by windows), GTX260 graphics. No tweaks apart from add on aircraft and some scenery.

It's not a needle in a haystack to someone who knows a little about logs.
Well, lol. I guess your on your own then. :(

Yup, I guess so, too.... :(Off topic, a bit, but how's the treatment going, Sarge?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Yup, I guess so, too.... :(Off topic, a bit, but how's the treatment going, Sarge?
Paul,Final pathology reports all indicated negative margins on the removed tumor. My radiation ended on May 13th however, I am still dealing with fatigue (it seems to come and go). I'm still learning how far I can push myself and what I can and cannot do now that I am minus two muscles in my right thigh. I do not see my surgeon again until December. I have a follow up with my radiation doctor tomorrow and I now will be under a monitoring/surveillance program for the next five years.All in all given the circumstances and the final outcome things couldn't have gone any better with my treatment and things are slowly returning to normal.Regards,Bob

That's absolutely excellent, Bob! I hadn't seen a recent (medical) post of yours, so I thought I'd be nosy. We're all rootin' for you, you know.I remember your original post.. Anyway - regarding -

I am still dealing with fatigue (it seems to come and go).
- This happens after you've: hit 35, got married, had two kids, bought a house with a garden, own your own business, or got fsx on a marginal pc... in any order...It's nice that you're still here, can participate and still enjoy the hobby and the future looks much brighter than six months ago.All the Best,pj :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I've been using FXLogbook, to find the screwed up line and repair it.I'll tell you why I've given no information as to why it gets corrupted, because I haven't a clue why. :( It's not a needle in a haystack to someone who knows a little about logs.My system is an E6600, 4gb ram (3 seen by windows), GTX260 graphics. No tweaks apart from add on aircraft and some scenery.
The FSX logbook will become corrupted if you DELETE any entry except for thevery last entry. The logbook is prone to coruption when there are "comments" appended to the entries.It seems that whoever wrote the code for the logbook failed the course in hexadecimal arithmetic. When a file, other than the last one, is deleted or edited, the file record lengthvalues get PORKED due to some bad math on Microsofts part.I looked into this problem just after FSX came out and posted my findings and a methodto repair a corrupt logbook using a hex editor. This was before the various logbook editorsand logbook fix utilities appeared. They were developed, it seems, because of thisproblem as more and more users reported the occurance of logbook corruption.One should NEVER, EVER edit, add to, or delete anything in the logbook fromwithin FSX. That is to say, when yoiu are viewing the logbook in FSX, do NOTHINGbut view it.To add comments, make corrections or delete entries, I suggest using Lamont Clarkslogbook editor, the link to which was posted by someone earlier in this thread.If you do anything mother than merely VIEW the logbook from within FSX, youare asking for trouble in the form of a corrupt logbook!!! Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest abulaafia

can a corrupt logbook be responsible for the system freezing for a few minutes, then continuing. Ever since I started deleting the notebook every now and then I have had no more freezes. 64-bit OS seems to make the logbook problem worse :)

can a corrupt logbook be responsible for the system freezing for a few minutes, then continuing. Ever since I started deleting the notebook every now and then I have had no more freezes. 64-bit OS seems to make the logbook problem worse :)
Usually, the symptom of a corrupt logbook is FSX freezing on the splash screen.When I first saw the problem FSX just hung there and never proceeded, at least withinthe period I could tolerate waiting before killing the FSX process.In those instances, deleting the logbook allowed FSX to boot. It then createda new, empty logbook.I've never seen it "continue" after "a few minutes" as that would have been much longer than I would have been willing to wait for signs of life.My observations were prior to SP1 and Acceleration, I believe, so some thingsmay have changed. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Very good info Gypsy, I'll note that and see how things go!So, looks like I'm not on my own then. As I said earlier, if someone knows about logs, there's always a few tips and suggestions to pass on.