Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

Can Someone help on an overlay issue?

Im using UT and decided I would try and create an overlay.I really messed up. A/C would fly over and that is all. So I want to remove that airport and havent found a way to do it. Im using AFCAD.EXE but see no way to remove one. You can certainly put one in but cant find a way to remove. One more question. Can an overlay solve the problem of only having one runway for landings? I would like to have both runways open for landings. Is this possible?Thanks AllBobG

Hi Bob,This is how I have done some modifications to the UT AFACADS. To your first question, go into explorer find your Ultimate Traffic folder and then go into the AFACAD sub-folder. Find the AFCAD file that you created and delete it. You should then replace it with another AFCAD file with the same name if it is the base airport, like KDEN.To your second question. The AFCAD files that UT installs are ONLY for the default scenery. Most of the places I fly I use custome payware or freeware sceneries, which have unique AFCAD files. What I have done now, is to replace the UT default files with new custom AFCAD files which I get from here on AVSIM or FlightSim.com. I go the same place as mentioned above, delete the UT file with the same name and then add the new one. If the airport has a overlay, UT will allow you to add it in the airport utilities option. At that point UT also allows you to assign airlines to any airport name, a really cool feature, since it is just point and click.After you have done all the tweaking of your airports, then press the compile button and you have a perfect AI function. This may seem like a little work, but can be done on a busy airport in just minutes. Flight One did an EXCELLENT job on moving AI traffic around airports. This also works with RAFCAD files also, with even less work.Bob JohnsonKDEN

Guest Captain Barfbag

AFCAD provides a capability to restore default airports and delete non-default airports. Look under File - Catalog/Restore and you will find it. This allows you to remove any modified airport and replace it with the original, or to delete an unwanted overlay. It's a relatively new feature, about 2-3 months ago. (Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade!)And yes, you can use overlays to open multiple runways for landing. Actually, that's the best thing you can do with overlays. (In case you haven't seen other posts of mine, particularly in the Traffic Tools Forum, I'm a big fan of Radiused AFCAD, or RAFCAD, which is much better than overlays for sending traffic to the right terminals and gates.)Overlays work best on airports with only parallel runways, where you can assign an overlay to each runway. In the case of KLAX, which has 4 parallel runways, I've set it up with 2 overlays, each using 1 overlay for takeoffs and another for landings. Overlays don't work very well with crossing runways, because when an arriving aircraft decellerates to taxi speed and contacts Ground, it will be sent to the overlay that it's currently closest to, NOT to the overlay it was assigned to land at. If you set up your airport reference points (the pink crosses) correctly, you can always get arriving aircraft to contact the right overlay for parallel runways.