Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stefan Bergert

FS04: Do clouds cast shadows on the ground?

Guest Stefan Bergert

Hi everyone!Hopefully someone can answer this question... (If not directly, maybe by comparing FS04 with X-plane in this aspect ;) )Thanks in advance,Stefan

From what I've seen in all the screenshots I've saved, I'm sure its no. I could be wrong but I doubt clouds will be casting shadows this time around.

I swear in one of the screen shots (I think it was one of the glider) you see shadows on the ground from the clouds.

Based on what I have seen - there will be no shadows. In fact it is probably better this way since whenever MS generates shadows in FS these days there are way too strong (like shadows on the moon ?) and clouds shadows should be very soft.Michael J.

Only cloud shadows I've ever seen are in VFR Photographicscenery for England & sadly these shadows never move. But theyare extremely cool!!Peter Sydney Australia

Stefan,I'm running the Beta version of FS2004 and I would have to say no to the cloud shadows, but what they (MS) have done is to get the lighting effects improved greatly. By that I mean its noticably darker overall if you have a cloud cover and quite bright at noon on a clear day. The changes or improvements overall as it pertains to weather, clouds, and lighting-shadows are quite subtle, but very convincing! Bear!

Guest Stefan Bergert

Hi everyone!Thanks a lot for your replies and opinions!The improvements MS has made seem to be really nice-looking forward to them!I came up with that question because I downloaded the X-plane 7 beta demo and X-plane features cloud shadows ( but a lot of other things are missing) - it looked really realistic.Thanks again,Stefan