Sign in to follow this  
Guest RSmith

FS2K2/Windows XP/DirectX9.0

In a Microsoft forum I read two posts of people reporting an incompability of FS2K2 with Windows XP and DirectX 9.0.I would like to have some feedback on this, as I intend to update my system from 98SE to XP Home.Regards,

Guest A321

I run FS2002 on xp-pro, and directx9 with no problems.My PC Spec is:AMD Athlon XP 1900+512Mb DDR RamGeeforce 4 TI 4400ASUS 266-e Mother BoardHope This Helps.PS I would suggest you do a fresh install, dont let WIN-XP upgrade WIN98 SE, because this never does a proper installation, this can be argued all you want, but trust me, just do a fresh install. :)

Guest Gordius

I am also intending to move from 98se to XP when COF comes out or before. I have read in several places that XP is fine with DX9. I would be interested to know if XP Home is OK or if the full XP Pro is a better buy for MSFS. So far all I can find out is that Pro has more "network related bits" but I expect there to more than that to it?Gordius

My new PC (circa Feb 2002) came with an OEM copy of WinXP Home, and FS2002 works perfectly with it. So far I have not upgraded to WinXP SP1 or DX9, as the former has caused problems with some users' systems, and FS2002 cannot take advantage of the extra features of the latter (unlike FSCOF, I gather.)As for Win XP Home/Pro, I understand that the only extras with the Pro version are indeed related to its networking functionality, but users are using both for FS2002 with great success !Alastair

Thanks for your informations. I am now confident that I will have no major problem...As suggested I will make a "clean" installation of XP.Thanks to everybody!:-beerchug

I installed XP upgrade over Win 982E with no major problems. I also installed DirectX 9.0.There were some minor errors which popped up after the install, but with the help of a puter nerd the errors were removed, and I have found FS2002 works exactly as advertised.Good luckKenny G.

DirecX9.0a here with XP Pro and no problems. XP Pro supports hyperthreading which XP Home does not; possibly might be an issue in the future depending on your system and subsequent upgrades.Best Regards,

Nope, XP Pro does support hyperthreading; home to the best of my knowledge does not.

Guest Gordius

Thanks for the info. I have decided to go for XP Pro just in case. As for DX9 I guess different people have different experiences with that, maybe it depends on graphics/sound/etc cards and/or driver versions?Gordius

Guest RSmith

Runnning XP Home on a 2.8, 9700 pro, DX9 system. Has been very stable - and noticeable improvement over my last 98SE based system. Only glitch with XP so far (see "Tips" section) is a problem MS has acknowledged with a removal of FS2K2 and reinstall, XP becomes confused with two .dll files, with same name / but different programs (XP and FS). Easy solution - copy file into root directory of FS - all well since. Month or so back - about 25 incidents reported to MS about this - so limited vulnerability.Recent (last Friday) XP auto. update caused (apparently - no proof) some FS "freeze" issues - my system did just that on one flight. Restored system to setup from last Thursday - all Ok on same flight yesterday.XP in general (imo) much easier to use, very well designed, big step forward in general. None of the above issues related to DX9, though, (afaik).Ron