Sign in to follow this  
someone

Whats involved in a catergory 1 medical

Guest SlimDady

what kind of tests are involved.. blood, urine?from what I can see I can pass all that.. Im not sure about hearing, because ive never had it done

Hi there,depending on your age an EKG may be done obove 35 years of age for the first class medical. I got my last 1st class back in March and the only hearing test they did was, from around 6 feet away the doctor said something and had me repeat it (big deal ;-) ). No blod test, just a urine sample (i. E. to check for diabetes). If you only want to fly for fun just get a 3rd class medical, that'll save you a few bucks.Cheers,Petehttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifAthlonXP2000,AbitKX7-333(latest4in1),512MB/2700SDRAM,WinXP,DirectX8.1,Geforce3TI200(128MB)(Det.30.82),SBlive(WDM5.1.2601.0)

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

FAA MedicalThird Class Certificate RequirementsDistant Vision - 20/40 or better in each eye separately, with or without correction.Near Vision - 20/40 or better in each eye separately (Snellen equivalent), with or without correction, as measured at 16 inches.Intermediate - No requirement.Color Vision - Ability to perceive those colors necessary for safe performance of airmen duties.Hearing - Demonstrate hearing of an average conversational voice in a quiet room, using both ears at 6 feet, with the back turned to the examiner or pass an audiometric test.Audiology - Audiometric speech discrimination test:Pure tone audiometric test: Unaided, with thresholds no worse than: (for the worst ear) 35Db at 500Hz, 50Db at 1,000Hz, 50Db at 2,000Hz, 60Db at 3,000HzEar, Nose, Throat - No ear, nose, or throat disease or condition that may reasonably be expected to be manifested by vertigo or a disturbance of speech or equilibrium.Blood Pressure - While no specific values have been stated in the standards, 155/95 (systolic/diastolic) have been the maximum allowed.Electro-Cardiogram - Not normally required. Mental - No diagnosis of psychosis, bipolar disorder, or any other severe personality disorder.Substance Dependence/Substance Abuse - A diagnosis or medical history of substance dependence is disqualifying unless there is established clinical evidence, satisfactory to the Federal Air Surgeon, of recovery, including sustained total abstinence from the substance(s) for not less than the preceding 2 years. A history of substance abuse within the preceding 2 years is disqualifying. The list of substances includes alcohol and all illegal drugs (marijuana, cocaine, etc.) plus certain prescription drugs such as sedatives, anxiolytics, etc.Disqualifying Conditions - (1) Diabetes mellitus requiring hypoglycemic medications; (2) Angina pectoris; (3) Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated, that has been symptomatic of clinically significant; (4) Myocardial infarction; (5) Cardiac valve replacement; (6) Permanent cardiac pacemaker; (7) Heart replacement; (8) Psychosis; (9) Bipolar disease; (10) Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts; (11) Substance dependence; (12) Substance abuse; (13) Epilepsy; (14) Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory explanation of cause; and (15) Transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory explanation of cause.NOTE: Waivers for many of these conditions may be obtained through application to the FAA Aeromedical Certification Branch in Oklahoma City.Class 2 medical certificates are for commercial, non-airline duties as well as private pilot duties. This certificate would be required of crop dusters, charter pilots, corporate pilots, and anyone else who flies commercially. The certificate is good for 1 year for commercial activities and 2 or 3 years for private pilot use.FAA MedicalSecond Class Certificate Requirements - All of the Third Class requirements with the following additions/amendments.Distant Vision - 20/20 or better in each eye separately, with or without correction.Intermediate Vision- 20/40 or better in each eye separately (Snellen equivalent), with or without correction at age 50 and over, as measured at 32 inches.Class 1 faa medical certificates are required for pilots of scheduled airliners. They have the most stringent medical requirements and the certificate is good for 6 months for airliner duties. Like the Class 2 certificate, however, it is good for 1 year for other commercial activities and 2 or 3 years for private pilot duties.FAA MedicalFirst Class Certificate Requirements - All of the Third and Second Class requirements with the following addition.Electro-Cardiogram - At age 35 and annually after age 40.

Guest metamarty

Unless you live in the Netherlands. Over here they're going to turn you inside out and puncture you with needles. I know it sounds strange, but that is the only reason I am not flying today. It just scares the hell out of me and it makes me mad. I know I'm physically fine, but I just cannot take that medical stuff. So until they adopt the American rules, I'm stuck on the ground.Marty

Guest Moghdad

Keep in mind that a 1st Class medical has to be renewed fairly often--I think every one year, at most. So if you are just starting your private training, it's unlikely you will be doing any flying that requires the 1st Class before it would expire anyway. So you are wasting your money, unless of course you have doubts about your ability to pass the 1st Class and want to have the bad news up front, before you invest in training.

Guest SlimDady

that was my plan.the school im going to has it as a requirement also, because the training its to train pilots for the comercial airline industry, all aplicants must enter with a ppl, and a class 1 medical

I got a first class when I started as well. I've only gotten second class medicals since. As far as the actual test goes, it's the same test, but the conditions of passing are stricter.