Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 Video Stalls after recent XP upgrade

Sometime on June 6th, after an auto-download of an update to XP, I am suddenly having mid air stalls on FS2002 (like we had years ago when memory was not being loaded correctly). It has rendered FS2002 UNUSABLE. Prior to noticing that FS2002 was unusable, several graphical type errors occurred with the pop-up indicating that there was a graphics driver problem. Q811493 was removed and reinstalled, Q818529 was installed, NEW GeForce TI4200 Drivers downloaded and installed, FS2002 removed and reinstalled. The problem REMAINED.DirectX 9.0a installed 6-8-03 as was the VIA upgrade (just in case). Neither helped the issue. If it helps, this appears to be a memory stacking or memory hole type problem. The problem happens more often when going from one LOD8 cell to another, especially south to north. Also if it helps, the overall graphic speed has slowed considerably in the past couple of days. Hardware = VIA P4X266 ATX motherboard with Intel P4 2.0 GHz - 512K cache. 512MB Convair Platinum DDR SDRAM. PNY Verto GeForce Ti 4200 (nVidia) 64MB DDR RAM - AGP graphics board driving a Sony TFT LCD SDM-51D display. Again I will repeat, everything was working fine until an auto-download this past Friday, Jun 6th.I write missions and do scenic design for Fox River - Shoreline Helicopters VA. I am unable to test any scenery until this is resolved.Suggestions anyone?

Many people have experienced significant problems after installing the A811493 update. While this issue has supposedly been fixed only time will tell for sure. There is more info here http://www.updatexp.com/q811493.html and this is just one of many articles available. You might want to double-check whether or not you have the correct fix for Q811493. Other than that, there's nothing I can specifically suggest except to turn off the auto update function. Running with auto update enabled is sure to cause problems sooner or later. Much better to pick-and-choose only those updates you really need.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks Doug,Auto is off already.... To late but off. I'll go check the URL you posted. I did pull 811493 back out but apparently the damage was already done. I've worked in computers since first generation solid state, but this still ticks me off when software is released that has not been checked properly. It sure has blown a weekend of scenery work. Thanks again,Al

Use RESTORE in XP to go back to before problem.....

Tried that too Fox....It will not let me go back to any date that I have tried prior to the installation of what is indicated as being V4 Update. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Guest RSmith

I used restore - and it worked for me. May be just different situation. I experienced my 1st FS2002 freeze on a flight out of Vancouver area, up north to Fargo Valley, British Columbia. Tried everything I could to recover flight, to no avail.After reading this post, I went back and restored to Thursday PM date (I accepted the recent XP updtae Friday AM). Restore went fine, and I shut down / restarted to ensure clean boot. Last flight went fine - same flightplan.Not saying it's the answer, but I've changed my mind on these "auto updates"........Ron

Thanks Ron,I'm going to try it again. I am completely reloading FS02 right now, as we speak. I agree on the auto updates. Mine was not completely auto but I did tell it to go ahead and install it. No more. Microsoft has lost me to their magical updates that do not tell you what they are really doing anyway. Security.... Everything is security. I wish they could be honest and say, hey people, we found a glitch in the XYZ area and here is a fix. I strongly suspect that they messed with VM or the memory stacking to the processor, but they would never admit it. I'll try FS02 before trying another Restore. That way it will be easier to judge just where the problem is. If I can find a cure, I will post it here, for all to read. Thanks again,