Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Can't get correct CRS display in ILS mode on this A320 panel

I am using the Eric Marciano panel for the Airbus A320 with good results. The only glitch is that when the ND is in ILS mode, it displays the Course of any ILS as "000". It never has the correct crs displayed and so the blue course indicator and deviator are always visually off from the approach heading flown although the LOC/GS does work fine as does autoland. Is there a fix for this ?Thanks!JS

Guest RiddlePilot

Turn the OBS (NAV) knob.The ILS doesn't care what its set on though, as its a single radial, so it will track the ILS to runway 7 (heading 072 for example) even if the OBS is set to 167 or whatever.

I would do so if I could find the bloody thing! Actually, I thought that in this panel, if the radios are set to auto-tune, it was supposed to set the CRS/OBS automatically on the ND, but it doesn't seem to do so. I cannot find an OBS knob on the panel. I must be blind....!JS

There is no OBS knob. You are not blind. And you are right, the deviation needle does not align properly with the localizer, auto-tune or not. Try as I may, I can not figure this out and I have re-read the instructions several times. As it stands, there seems to be no instrument landing available with this panel. I can't even get the localizer and glidescope markers to appear on the PFD and yet others seem to feel that all is well. I feel your frustration.Mike

Mike:I appreciate your reply (and empathy)!I CAN actually get the ILS to work and I CAN do autoland (!) perfectly using the autopilot panel despite this gap. I also ran the FMC for the first time and it did display the correct CRS/OBS as a result of tuning to the arrival runway. However, I now have half a dozen questions about how the FMC is supposed to work regarding VNAV, speed control, and descending, etc., and it's just getting to be a bit much with no support at all from the author....It's not worth sweating much when you can't get support or find the answers somehow. I'll play with this for a while as long as it basically works and try to enjoy that much.Thanks again for your reply.JS