Sign in to follow this  

Radio traffic at uncontrolled airports

Guest papatango

I fly mostly at non-controlled airports in FS. I am also in the process of getting my pilot's license. At uncontrolled airports, planes announce when they take the active runway, where they are in the traffic pattern, do radio checks, get airport advisories, and announce their position if they fly over the airport. When my home airport gets busy, there is always someone on the radio for one of the reasons stated above.I know that in FS2004 there will be traffic now at non-controlled airports. Does anyone know if we will hear the pilots on the radio as well, like we would at a real airport? I think that it would make the FS experience much more immersive if we heard that chatter. Actually, at my home airport, I end up hearing chatter at many other of the small airports in the vicinity, since they all use the same CTAF (Common Traffic Airport Frequency).PapaTango

It would also make it more realistic to hear cussing over the radio when somebody gets cut off in the pattern, or a plane pulls onto the active when another is on short final. Hey it happens.I had three go arounds one day trying to land, first a crop duster, who actually flew a proper pattern was in front of me, after he landed he slowly taxied to the end of the runway before turning off. On my second approach, another crop duster came in on a low, short final while I was on base, and did the same thing. On the third try, some jerk in a Saratoga pulls out and takes off while I'm on short final. I saw him doing his runup when I turned final and made my call. I was about 100ft agl on short final when he dicided he was tired of waiting and just pulled out and went.

"It would also make it more realistic to hear cussing over the radio when somebody gets cut off in the pattern, or a plane pulls onto the active when another is on short final. Hey it happens.":-lol :-lol :-lol