Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

O&O Defrag special for simmers...

Guest simjunkie
Can anyone point me to some objective evidence that defragging actually makes a noticeable difference, because I am sceptical and think a lot of the perceived improvement is placebo.
I've read through these over the last couple of years. This article is from 2006 but the tech should still apply. "Mike's Musings" - a series of articles with insights into FSX. This one goes over defragging and speaks of Ultimate Defrag and then the use of O&O. http://www.flightsim.com/main/op-ed/ed390.htmFSX is constantly using the HDD during flight. The more organized the files are, the easier they will be to find.Not every defrag program does what it needs to for this sim. O&O and Ult. Defrag are the only two I know of that do. O&O is part of my Windows optimization routine and I'd go with that because of the quality reputation of that software company and also because it is recommended by the FSX experts.-jk

Guest AVN8tr

LarryRF: you are absolutely right.. another way to optimize is to write files into one big file... such as the .WAD used by ID software and of course dummy files at the front of the disc. Put together this is enough to keep up on the consoles. The point I was trying to make is that even if your harddrive is heavily fragmented it's still far faster than then a Dual Layer DVD.. much faster. Furthermore the real culprit is RAM usage and not being able to load it in the first place, it's not an issue of access time since there is more than enough time. The RAGE engine as used by Rockstar is kind of cool since it doesn't cause stutters when textures don't load, unlike FSX.

Guest Nick_N

Ya know.. the way I look at it is I have explained the difference between the Windows defrag tool and a 3rd party defrag, and, the file system and how converting it to a partially sequential file read layout since MSFS uses a sequential alphanumerical file name system will lower CPU use by lowering the read time with a mechanical HDD till I am blue in the face and to be quite frank I not going to get into a battle of tech speak with a completely unarmed person who says its 'snake oil' and who has no other means of explaining why, other that they are hard headed and do not know what they are talking about. O&O Engineering did not change their design in v11 because I am a dope that does not know what I am talking about. They did it because they reviewed my presentation of the issue and how it was negatively effecting the result and they also verifed my credentials. We discussed it at a level most people would not understand and they took action based on that. When someone who claims its 'snake oil" has such a conversation with a major software maker and they change their design based on his correct interpretation of the technology then they can then make such statements as 'snake oil' following that up with the correct scientific/engineering reasoning and evidence, otherwise its nothing but hot air.I posted the information about the defrag tool for people who are smart and really 'get it' so they have the opportunity to obtain a later version cheaply before the offer runs outAlso, the software allows a 30 day trial. If used as I specified it will in fact assist both file loads and to offload the CPU from one of the most demanding areas a computer system deals with, storage. More often that not when someone says they see no difference its because they thought they knew better than what I posted in how to set up and use the software, or, they have other issues which have been a problem all along and do not allow them to see any change. If people wish to try it, fine.. If people wish to argue about it I suggest they try the trial, set it up and run the defrags I outlined without skipping steps, or just stick with what you are using and let the rest of us enjoy the benefit of the tool and system perf without the uniformed and uneducated commentary.I also suggest people ignore the commentary as all that does is allow the person posting what they want.. a stage to continue.

Guest Tingoose
I've read through these over the last couple of years. This article is from 2006 but the tech should still apply. "Mike's Musings" - a series of articles with insights into FSX. This one goes over defragging and speaks of Ultimate Defrag and then the use of O&O. http://www.flightsim.com/main/op-ed/ed390.htmFSX is constantly using the HDD during flight. The more organized the files are, the easier they will be to find.Not every defrag program does what it needs to for this sim. O&O and Ult. Defrag are the only two I know of that do. O&O is part of my Windows optimization routine and I'd go with that because of the quality reputation of that software company and also because it is recommended by the FSX experts.-jk
Thanks simjunkie. I'll check it out. I'm just keen to try to get to a definitive answer about the thorny subject of whether defragging makes any noticeable difference.

Guest AVN8tr

Yes thıs from a guy who recommends 8X FSAA and 16x AF.... I wonder where the stutters are comıng from Nıck everyone complaınıng about yourtweaks. Wake up buddy.. I'm at least providing reality sınce obvıously you don't have an idea as too how much RAM your recommendations are wasting. And as far as your credentials we already proved you weren't an EE when I asked the simplest of DSP questions.. remember that?

Guest Nick_N
Yes thıs from a guy who recommends 8X FSAA and 16x AF.... I wonder where the stutters are comıng from Nıck everyone complaınıng about yourtweaks. Wake up buddy.. I'm at least providing reality sınce obvıously you don't have an idea as too how much RAM your recommendations are wasting. And as far as your credentials we already proved you weren't an EE when I asked the simplest of DSP questions.. remember that?
No, I dont recall that. What I recall is you managed to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt what djt01 said, .. you are an imbecile with a chip on your shoulder playing a silly childs forum game that I refused to play.I think I also mentioned if you would like to contine this I am sure the forum admins would be more than happy to remove you

Guest UlfB
I really wish that you'll get suspended from the forums.

I took advantage of the reduced price since you can't really go wrong for only $16 CAD (that's what I was charged). So much appreciation goes to Nick for his post here and to O&O's Andreas for the discount. I already had version 10 and like it and with the changes that Nick recommended, I'm sure version 11 will be well worth the price.

Hey there!Please remain civilized.Thx

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest AVN8tr
Rendering
n the case of 3D graphics, rendering may be done slowly, as in pre-rendering, or in real time. Pre-rendering is a computationally intensive process that is typically used for movie creation, while real-time rendering is often done for 3D video games which rely on the use of graphics cards with 3D hardware accelerators.
Might as well sell off my controllers....

One thing I noticed with version 11 is that it now has background monitoring meaning O&O monitors your hard drive and defrags any new files that are added without having to run a full de-frag. I had added an addon to FS9 last night and had O&O analyze the drive before I signed off. It reported the addon files as fragmented. When I logged in this morning, O&O ran in the background and defragged the addon files and now it reports no fragmentation.

Guest Nick_N
Nick - is version 11 a significant improvement over version 8.5?Tim
It runs maintenance routines faster in v11 over 8.6. There were some changes to the algorithms made as well. With a better storage solution you may not notice any file read performance difference but the actual defrag time was reduced
One thing I noticed with version 11 is that it now has background monitoring meaning O&O monitors your hard drive and defrags any new files that are added without having to run a full de-frag. I had added an addon to FS9 last night and had O&O analyze the drive before I signed off. It reported the addon files as fragmented. When I logged in this morning, O&O ran in the background and defragged the addon files and now it reports no fragmentation.
I would not use the monitor feature.. my guide specifically states that feature should be shut down and only manual defrag as needed should be performed. That feature is great for office and server systems.. you do not want any background monitoring on a high performance system for gaming
RenderingMight as well sell off my controllers....
Pr-render is a design technique used console type video game development. Its appeared in large form through what is know as

I bought it, but never got a license key emailed to me. I just today received an offer for O&O Defrag 12 for $24 (a special that was also going on through August, apparently), not much more than I paid for 11. I hope I get my key before my seven remaining test days expire.

Guest Nick_N

Just so everyone is aware...I posted this in another thread but will re-post it hereI have not as of yet installed and worked with the v12 O&O product. Until I have time to do so I can not make any recommendation about it and how to use it correctly. It would appear they did take note of some changes I had suggested some time ago however right now I am dialed into other projects and do not have a day to spare in looking over the new format and testing the result. I will as soon as I can