Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Braking effectiveness

Hi there, is there any way of changing the aircraft confg file to increase the braking effectiveness for a particular aircraft?J.C. (MYNN)

Guest hermes

open airfile with AirEd , search flight dynamics, you have there braking strenght

Guest JohnN

Hey Hermes,TopGun's question is a great one. I'd like to know the answer too.What in the world is "AirEd"? Also, by "Airfile", do you mean the "aircraft.cfg" file? If so, I'd appreciate knowing which value to change - and how much.Thanks, John

Guest Van

AirEd is a program available from simviation.com and is used to edit .air files, not aircraft cfg files as aircraft cfg files can simply be opened and edited with wordpad.If you want to edit the braking strength of a particular aircraft, then open your .air file with AirEd and scroll down to 1101 (Primary Aerodynamics) and you will see the braking strength value under Misc. You can increase the value and you will get the braking strength you desire.Regards,Van LatendresseYeoDesigns/AFG Group

>If you want to edit the braking strength of a particular>aircraft, then open your .air file with AirEd and scroll down>to 1101 (Primary Aerodynamics) and you will see the braking>strength value under Misc. You can increase the value and you>will get the braking strength you desire.Hmm-- I have only "tinkered" with this braking strength value in the airfile -- but I came away with the impression that REDUCING the number increased the braking strength. Perhaps I am wrong.Anybody care to comment?Barry

Guest Douglas K

Apparently, by defaut the "Braking Strength" entry in Rec 1101 is -32768, and if you INCREASE this number by moving it toward zero, then the braking strength will also increase. A really powerful braking effect can be attained with a value of -1 for instance, while a value of zero results in NO braking action at all, and a value of +1 yields nearly the same result.Confused yet?Looking at it from the positive side of the matter:+1 to +32767: braking strength here is directly proportional to increased values, +32767 is the highest number that can be entered and represents the maximum braking effectiveness, while +1 represents the minimum braking effectiveness.On the negative side:-32768 to -1: braking strength here is also directly proportional to increased values, the closer the number entered is to -1, the higher the braking effectiveness.To put it another way, the integer -1 represents MAXIMUM braking, while the -32768 value is the MINIMUM braking effectiveness on the negative side of this confusing mess. I use positive numbers only for this airfile entry when making changes to it, Ron Freimuth's notes on this entry in his AirEd ini file cite values from +10000 to +30000 as being realistic, in practice I find that +22000 to +27000 feel right to me.

Guest Van

That seems to be a logical assumption, but because I've only seen positive values used in any .air file that I have looked at, I use positive numbers. Your value of +22000 to + 27000 is a good mark as I tend to use +25000 for my 737 FDE's and I get excellent results.Regards,Van LatendresseYeoDesigns/AFG Group

Douglas Thanks for that detailed explanation. I can see where I was going wrong now -- it is certainly not "instinctual".Would -22000 give the same braking strength as +22000?EDITED - no, I can see now that it wouldn't . As you say , it is best to only use + numbers.Barry