Sign in to follow this  

Does FS2004 ATC understand what the weather is?

In FS2002, if you attempt to fly in IMC to a non-ILS equipped airfield, the ATC vectors you to a "Visual" approach and asks you if you have the runway visual - which of course you don't because you are in IMC. If you report "no" , then the ATC continues to ask you if you are visual.Thanks Barry

Barry,Hmm.. you did post identical question a month ago (and got some answers). You must like this topic very much.Michael J.

>Barry,>>Hmm.. you did post identical question a month ago (and got>some answers). You must like this topic very much.>>Michael J.I did?? Hmm-- I am getting older you know!! But seriously, I don't remember and also don't remember getting a satisfactory answer if I did ask the question. So - my doubt still remains! :)Now that various beta testers and press releases have been available for some time - perhaps some kind soul could put me out of my misery by commenting on whether the ATC does in fact know what the weather is and allow IFR flights into non-ILS airfields..Barry

>I did?? Hmm-- I am getting older you know!! But seriously, I>don't remember and also don't remember getting a satisfactory>you can easily refresh your memory by using search, finding your identical question a month ago and then reading the answers. Don't tell me you are too old for that .. :-lolMichael J.

if he didn't get a satisfactory answer the first time, what's wrong with asking again?i too would like to know the answer to his question

Guest paulri

Barry,While FS2002 ATC has some distinct limitations (this is one of them), a workaround is usually pretty easy. Lets assume while the field is in IMC conditions, it does have non precision approach minimums existing, say 500 and 3/4 but could be slighty lower or higher, depending on the approach (the approach plate would tell you). And also assume for discusison purposes that the field does have non precision approaches (VOR and/or NDB) even though no ILS exists. Of course, if none of these non precision approaches exist, then you should not be filing into that field when IMC is forecast in the first place. And, you DO have approach plates for all approaches at that field, right?? If you don't, then don't file into there. Anyway, to continue. When, under these circumstances, ATC tells you you are cleared for the visual, accept it. Be sure the NAV radio (or ADF) is tuned to the proper frequency for the navaid you will be using for the non precision approach to the landing runway, and if a VOR, the published final course inbound to the runway has been set. Then, when you are given your final vector by ATC, and told to report runway in sight, intercept the final approach inbound course (no procedure turn is made), call ATC and report runway in sight, then continue the apporach until you break out of the clouds and spot the runway. Remember, you will most likely NOT be lined up on center line--this is a non precision approach and you can be off by up to 30 degress and still be making a "straight in" approach. Of course, if you do not break out at minimum altitude or do not have the runway in sight and your time from the FAF inbound has expired, then make a Missed Approach. Be sure you follow the profile for the approach as published on the plate exactly. I have used this numerous times in FS2002, works like a charm. You would NOT do this in real life and should not have to do it in FS2004, since non precision approaches are reported to be recognized by that versions ATC. Paul

Barry:FS2004 will not let you take off VFR if the weather is IMC - so it does know the weather.With the new weather features of FS2004 you could take off in VFR conditions and then as the weather changes over time find yourself IMC. In this circumstance one of the cool new features of FS2004 ATC is the ability to file an IFR flight plan in the air. When this happens you can also hear the VFR AI traffic around you filing IFR as well.You can also now request specific instrument approaches - including non precision approaches - so if the field you are going to is non-ILS but does have a non precision approach such as an ADF, VOR or GPS you can request, be cleared for, and fly those kind of approaches.See my message below in the screenshots forum for some shots of ATC menus with the new ATC options.http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=53978&page=Bill