Sign in to follow this  
Russell

FS2004 and FSX

I have a relatively new computer (home-built) running XP Home with SP3. I currently use FS2004, I have been reluctant to change to FSX. Why change when it works just fine? My question is can I install FSX to another hard drive on my computer so that I have the option of which version to use? Are there any issues with doing this? It seems that a lot of the newer add-ons are geared towards FSX. I have several add-ons for FS2004 and they work great but I was wondering if I should try FSX before using it in place of FS2004.Thanks for the help.

You can install FSX on another hard drive or the same. I have both installed as well as others.

Christopher Edwards

Guest belga1

Hello,By what I read all about (I don't use FSX).. it can be tricky when you decide (for any reasons) to unistall FSX (or FS2004?)The best way will be to install on a other disk not linked with the FS2004 install disk.In a word .. on a separate system disk (caddy system apply) for complete safety and minimum troubles IMHO.Install a caddy system (cheap) must not be a challenge for you as you built yourself the PC.Regards.bye.gifGus.

I have both on my HD. Neither causes problems with the other.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest belga1

Hello,

I have both on my HD. Neither causes problems with the other
That's what I read allway .. no problems to have the two on same HD.What I read also .. it's some have problems with FS2004 after uninstalling FSX (for any reasons)So the problem seem's more to be focused on a uninstallation .. and a uninstallation and reinstallation of FSX is not exeptional when some problems occurs.Regards.bye.gifGus.

Hello,That's what I read allway .. no problems to have the two on same HD.What I read also .. it's some have problems with FS2004 after uninstalling FSX (for any reasons)So the problem seem's more to be focused on a uninstallation .. and a uninstallation and reinstallation of FSX is not exeptional when some problems occurs.Regards.bye.gifGus.
Yes, that's a good point.

Gavin Barbara

Yes, installing both on the same drive is no problem, but if you choose to remove FSX for whatever reason, it may make FS2004 unplaybale because aparently, there is a chance it might remove registry components of FS2004. If you choose to install it on a different HD, there surely is no problem. That's what I have and it works just fine.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I have both versions installed on the same HD - no issues -However, if you should un-install FSX, it will almost always corrupt the Registry data for FS2004.That is easily fixed by using the free Registry Repair utility from the good folks at Flight1 -http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exeAlso - if you are running Vista, it is recommended that you do not install FSX (or FS2004 for that matter) in the default location (C:\Program files). Vista apparently adds an "extra" layer of "protection" to anything in the Program files folder which can be problematic. It would be better just to install to C:\FSX or C:\FS2004 or something along those lines.Hope that info is useful. :(

I have both versions installed on the same HD - no issues -However, if you should un-install FSX, it will almost always corrupt the Registry data for FS2004.That is easily fixed by using the free Registry Repair utility from the good folks at Flight1 -http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exeAlso - if you are running Vista, it is recommended that you do not install FSX (or FS2004 for that matter) in the default location (C:\Program files). Vista apparently adds an "extra" layer of "protection" to anything in the Program files folder which can be problematic. It would be better just to install to C:\FSX or C:\FS2004 or something along those lines.Hope that info is useful. :(
DavidMost people here would agree that your posts are always useful, helpful and friendly.Best regards.

Gavin Barbara

Yes, installing both on the same drive is no problem, but if you choose to remove FSX for whatever reason, it may make FS2004 unplaybale because aparently, there is a chance it might remove registry components of FS2004. If you choose to install it on a different HD, there surely is no problem. That's what I have and it works just fine.
But why should it be like that? Ms has made both FS9 and FSX. We designing FSX so it affects FS9 registry entry if uninstalled? And why should it be different if a different HD is used?BTW I have both FS9 and FSX with addons installed on the same harddrive and have never had any need to uninstall FSX.

But why should it be like that? Ms has made both FS9 and FSX. We designing FSX so it affects FS9 registry entry if uninstalled? And why should it be different if a different HD is used?BTW I have both FS9 and FSX with addons installed on the same harddrive and have never had any need to uninstall FSX.
Microsoft operates in mysterious ways...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I mostly use FSX but still have FS9 (A new install) on an older hard drive which is now an external drive. Everything works fine. I have not reloaded my sceneries and AI traffic so I get excellent performance. I took a gander at the frame rate count and it was bouncing around 75-80 fps so I don't bother looking at the counter anymore. I am still trying to convert all my payware to FSX but somethings are hard to let go. Even with the Addon Converter X not everything ports well. I was recently having problems with FS9 loading at a slow speed and getting the aircraft selection menu used to take a couple of minutes. I tweaked a setting on my NVidia control menu and FS9 snaps through the menus and startup in a couple of seconds.

Keith Guillory