Sign in to follow this  
gosta

Yikes! Help with Windows XP Home, please!

Guest SoarPics

Here's my take, Mark.I can't see why they would tell you that you have to buy the 5400 RPM... other than that's what they want to sell you. Hard Drives are a bit like memory with regard to pricing. Try to buy some SDRAM, and you'll pay more than for the faster DDR memory. There simply are not that many 5400 RPM around anymore... most manufacturers are focusing on the 7200 RPM drives. The much higher quantities of 7200 RPM drives manufactured over the 5400's mean the unit price will be lower.If your computer is two years old you can safely install a 7200, unless Compaq used some goofy proprietary cabling (which I doubt). I doubt that you'll see any better performance, though. That's more a function of the system transfer rate (yours is probably ATA 66 or 100).

Yea you need to reinstall disk or boot disk for XP, it should of come with your computer, ALWAYS KEEP THOSE IN A SAFE PLACE

Hi Erik. I may not have made it clear enough earlier on, but like all bundled Windows XP users I do have a Restore Disk and yes, I kept it in a safe place - indeed, I've used it once before to solve a problem. This disk is not a clean version of Windows XP but restores your computer to its original factory condition by reformatting everything; or, if you're lucky, it can repair Windows XP selectively.The point is, this disk has not worked on this occasion. The problem is greater than this disk can cope with. I still don't know why this has occurred, and neither does Compaq when I have explained all, but I repeat that Compaq themselves told me that when XP goes badly wrong, it is usually fatal and unrecoverable, unlike previous operating systems.I've tried DOS boot disks, I've created boot disks for XP from Microsoft's site, I've read a hundred FAQs so far; and talked to online support about five times. The advice is all conflicting, which doesn't help. So I'm going to go the route of a new hard disk, which I needed in any case, frankly; with 70GB of my 80GB disk used up, I've no room to partition the original disk anyway.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Hey Mark, sorry you're having this trouble. I had a similar situation which was the result of my hard drive going off to the great hardware beyond. It could not be reformatted or otherwise saved. What you're experiencing sounds like what I went through. Good luck!KP

Hi Mark,I agree with Greg on the performance - most likely you won't notice anything. But if I was in your shoes, I would view the new drive as the first part of your new home-built computer :), and go for a 7200 with 8MB buffer. Being the cynic I am, I'd say the only reason why Compaq are telling you that only 5400rpm drives will work in your machine, is that they're sitting on big stock of those things that they need to get rid of...Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

MikeAs for whether a Restore Disk can be classed as bundled software when it will not do what the software in an OEM state will do is a matter for the lawyers. And I am willing to bet big money there is a lawyer out there who will sue their butts off on a no win no fee basis in the hope he/she can make it fairly high profile and then pick up a class action to follow. Mention lawyers to Compaq and they should start to see some sense.My argument to Compaq would be that the restore disk is not fit for the purpose intended and is therefore of unmerchantable quality. When they tell you your warranty has expired tell them to go to blazes. In English law, and probably where you are too, the length of the warranty has no effect on whether a claim can be made. You were not to know that the Restore Disk would not work in certain circumstances until those circumstances arose. Those circumstances have arisen and they are trying to duck the issue.Having read all this thread, it is has not been suggested the hard drive is at fault. Therefore if the harware is not at fault then the software is. So tell Compaq that they either replace it with a full blown copy of XP or you will take the matter further. Their argument that they are only allowed to supply the software as they have is pure hogwash. That is the way they chose to supply it as it is cheaper. There is absolutely nothing to stop them supplying you with a full copy - they only have to go to their local store and buy one for you!!I assume all your discussions have been with Compaq. Have you tried approaching the Hewlett Packard main office direct? I have seven of their printers in the office and two at home and find their service excellent (in the UK) and the one bum printer I had at home that failed outside the warranty was replaced with an up-to-date model without a murmur.Sorry - this has dragged on longer that I expected and I did think of emailing it to you instead but so many people have tried to help you I thought it was worth sharing.Best regardsBillPS - go to Google and put complaint service compaq in the search box - there are 68,000 pages - maybe you can find something there LOL. Also try http://www.outofthedark.com/CyberPagan/Compaq.html

Quick update ... Bill, I selectively threw a couple of your comments at Compaq today, gave them your address (just joking!) and got the usual "more than my job's worth" response; but a promise that Customer Relations will "look into it and contact me in due course". Yeah, right. Meanwhile I'm still stuffed. So off I go to my friendly computer store today and sit down with Mr. Super Nerd Extraordinaire who rips apart most of what Compaq has told me and points me in the right direction at last (I hope).New drive (WD 7200 8MB) now installed by yours truly (not difficult at all, is it?) as primary with the old buzzard as slave. Switch on, tremble tremble ... yes, there it is, recognised by my BIOS with the old one listed where it should be as No.2. Hoorah! In with Compaq Recovery CD and ........ zilt. "Cannot do Factory Restore". What the disk did, of course, was look for the backup partition on the original drive and when it didn't find it, it just said "No way, Jose". So onto Compaq again .... "YOU TOLD ME THIS WOULD WORK, BLAH BLAH BLAH ..." only to NOW be told that I need a Quick Restore CD, not the Recovery CD that shipped with my product. "Oh, I do, do I? OK, send me one." "Er, sir, that'll be $10 ........."I've ordered it, of course. Much cheaper than a full version of Windows XP itself, and if I delay any further, I might as well go back to pencil and paper because my computer will be full of dust. But I am going to write a book about this ... a short one, one that I can roll up tightly. I don't need to tell you into which part of Compaq's anatomy I shall deliver it.When I see my trusty C172 in front of me once more, I'll post one more time just to thank all friends here, with a quick review of what I came up against in my particular Compaq crusade, for other's guidance. In the meantime, that 'ole CD won't be here before Monday, so I'd better take a scythe to the garden. Bye.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest WorkingStiff

So if I'm understanding you correctly ... you were able to boot from your system BIOS which recognized both the old and new hard drives but since the operating system is inoperative you cannot copy your files over from the old hard drive. Correct?At this stage I would not order any so-called "Recovery" or "Quick Restore CD" from Compaq since I'd have no faith that it would work. I'd go to the nearest computer store and get a retail version of Windows XP - the Professional version preferably; which again Sam's Club sells at a significant discount - then demand reimbursement from Compaq.I don't understand why Compaq is giving you the run-around. Contrast that with a pleasant customer service experience I had just this week. I purchased a Plantronics Audio 90 headset last October and it has served me well since I fly mostly online. Last Sunday I got up from the computer forgetting I was still wearing the headset and it fell to the floor. I checked it out and it seemed to be okay, but when I connected to VATSIM, I realized the controllers couldn't hear me and and after troubleshooting I figured out that the microphone had failed even though the earphones worked fine.I went to Circuit City on Tuesday and purchased another Plantronics Audio 90 headset by check and while paying I mentioned what had occurred to the sales clerk. He suggested that I contact Plantronics since the headset should still be under warranty; I got home and called Plantronics ...all Plantronics asked me to do was to fax them a copy of my original receipt which thankfully I had kept... and on Wednesday afternoon UPS delivered a replacement Audio 90 headset to my door at no cost to me.After talking with Plantronics I drove back to the Circuit City store to return the headset I had purchased earlier in the day. To my surprise they gave me a cash refund on the spot, even though I had paid by check. There was no talk about having the "corporate office" mail me a check after mine was cashed or any of that nonsense. So now I know I'm a Plantronics customer for life and I'll be more inclined to give Circuit City much more of my business even though they might not always have the best prices.BTW, I just dictated this post using my voice recognition software and new Plantronics headset. :-)

MikeI still think you should approach HP direct - they now own Compaq and from my experience at least, they have always recognised that they they want to keep customers not drive them away.A letter or email to their Customer Relations department will probably do the trick. If you point out the responses from Compaq where worth diddly squat as they did not rectify the problem and you had to spend hard cash because 'time was of the essence' - a nice legal phrase that you should use - they will cough up your outlay. It may take a little friendly persuasion but I reckon you will succeed in the end.Not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs, the important thing is be contacting them 'more in sorrow than in anger' as my late mother used to say - i.e. don't blow your top but make it clear you are close to considering all HP products as a no go in the future due to the service one of their companies has not given.Bill

Guest Smiley

Just to add to what some above have stated.I looked into my WinXP Pro Windows/System32/config folder and found one file named system.sav and it's 388kb and another called just system at 3,072 kb. The entire config folder is 19 mb on my system. For being able to repair your problem by buying a new HDD You can copy your old HDD to your new HDD only to have the problem copied over as well. If you are not able to repair your problem on your original HDD with the recovery disc or whatever they call the $10.00 disc you are buying you will still need a full WinXP disc. From what I've read the only real difference between XP Pro and Home edition is the networking ability (beyond 12 or so systems) and admin privelidges. So why pay any more for Pro if not needed ?All your programs are going to need to be reinstalled to work properly on your new HDD if starting from scratch but, you will be able to copy all of your add on and independently working files over from your old drive with no problems.I've never purchased a complete computer from a store. Well, there was that Commodore 64 back in the early 80's ;). I've found the best help/tech support to be friends both offline and online :).

OK. So, a long computer-free weekend in MD is over, and it's back to trying to get back up and running.So I install a full version of Windows 98SE on my new, clean, formatted HD, hoping to avoid the dreaded XP and its processor hungry appetite. All fine, Windows works. Plug in old HD as a slave. Fine, it's recognised under Windows Explorer. But ....... go to open it, and it won't. Under 'Properties' it shows as blank. I KNOW I have not reformatted it, however. So don't tell me .... Win 98 can't recognise disks written with Windows XP?My Win 98 HD says the file system is FAT32, whatever that means. My old HD (written with XP) says the file system is FAT.What to do, gurus?Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

A new voice here Mark, so you may well ignore it :-lol From NT onwards MS created a new 'better' file system called NTFS, this system is used on Win NT, Win2000 & WinXP and this file system cannot be read by Win9x operating systems.I would suspect that your store bought PC uses the NTFS file system which would explain why Win98 can't read the original HD. However there may be a small partition on the original HD using the FAT file system to allow it to boot initially and read the recovery CD.You have lots of usefull advice here, a lot of it legally true but time consuming.If it were me I would bite the bullet and buy a copy of XP upgrade (someone did say you could get one with the new HD) and install it on the new HD and then copy your files off the original HD to the new one.The alternative, if you have someone close by who runs Win NT, 2k or XP, is to ask them to read your HD and copy the files to your new HD - it would mean them having 3 HDs in their PC but that's no problem.If you are sure you do not have a virus there is every chance that the original HD may be on its way out so the new one is not a waste of money.When you get up and running you can tell XP to format the drive as a FAT32 drive and not NTFS, that way you will be able to read the drive from Win9.x or DOS.Best of luck and I hope you get it sorted very soon.Rgds

<<<>>>>I just knew it! Thanks, Vulcan, you confirm my suspicions and I appreciate your time. I've given up banging my head against the wall at the incompatibility of MS systems; I'm now cackling like a mad thing and reaching for another beer.So it's now down to whether I stick in my 10 dollar Compaq Quick Restore Disk and solve my problem that way or, as you say, go out and buy a 99 dollar upgrade pack to install WinXP over my just-installed Win98.By the time I get to the store, I'll probably find that CDs are now square and won't fit the drive any more ....Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontEDIT: And yes, the old HD did have a small partition created by the original system which shows up as a D: drive with rescue files on it. No use to me, but it's probably where the FAT identity comes from as you say. The main part of the old HD shows up under G: but registers zero content. So NTFS has buried my hangar, eh? And I thought it was only the NTSB that aircraft had to worry about ...http://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Hi Mark,this is a long shot, but you never know, so here goes:Reformat your new HD, and partition it. Then copy the rescue files from your D: drive to a small partition on your new drive. Get out your dreaded Compaq rescue disk and see, if it now allows you to install XP on your new drive. Worth a try - and $99 is better spent on beer, imho.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Gosta<<<>>>>>Earlier in this thread somewhere I pointed out that the Compaq 'Recovery CD' would not work on my ORIGINAL drive (which has that partition you refer to) because XP had gone really horrible for some reason. Thus if I simply transfer the files across, and try the same, it will do the same, surely?What is due in my letterbox (mailbox to US friends) tomorrow is Compaq's 'Quick Restore' Disk which should work on any drive and install XP, as it doesn't look for any footprint. Or so they tell me .... we shall see ... I think I'll give that a go and if it doesn't work, I shall reinstall Windows 98 and go out and buy that Windows XP upgrade, I suppose.Unless I've spent all the money on beer first, that is.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg