Sign in to follow this  
Bubi42

FSX in Widescreen....?

I agree with Bert - there is no way around the stretched gauges on the 2D panel because the size the BITMAPS were created in, while in VC it is a depiction of a 3D environment. Hence, 'normal' and 'widescreen' panel options. Now, for me at least, this stretch is so insignificant, I really could care less. Once I make a setup using FreeTrack, I hopefully won't need 2D panels much (except for old planes with cheap VC's).As far as the wide aspect in the CFG file, I believe it has to do with FSX opening up in windowed mode, and that's about it. Just like the VC, the environment is directly rendered to the image (your set resolution), and I doubt the view angle is affected by this. But I will check it out myself.

Aleksandar Djordjevic

WAT528.png

He has something else going on. I use 1680x1050x32 on a widescreen monitor and also in FSX and here are 2 screen shots of the 172 2D panel, one in windows mode and one in full screen. As you can see they both look fine with no stretching, with WideViewAspect=True

Jay

There is a display option in the fsx.cfg to enable widescreen support. In the [Display] section, add the setting WideViewAspect=True if it's not there already.
This setting affects ONLY the 3d scenery rendering in any view by expanding the field of view.It has ZERO affect on the fixed dimensions of the 2d panel system, both bitmaps and gauges.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

He has something else going on. I use 1680x1050x32 on a widescreen monitor and also in FSX and here are 2 screen shots of the 172 2D panel, one in windows mode and one in full screen. As you can see they both look fine with no stretching, with WideViewAspect=True
They looked stretched to me, as they should be. Unless the 2D panel is created in a wide screen format you'll have a stretched panel. Some planes like the Eaglesoft Citation X and Cirrus have a special wide screen 2d panel.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

They looked stretched to me, as they should be. Unless the 2D panel is created in a wide screen format you'll have a stretched panel. Some planes like the Eaglesoft Citation X and Cirrus have a special wide screen 2d panel.
They look stretched to me as well. At the very least they are certainly not round.

Actually, they are stretched - look closer. Bring up the bitmap images in the 172's panel folder and you'll see better.That's why I personally don't care about the stretched 2d, because it's hardly significant. My res. is setup at 1080, so I have just a wee bit more stretch than you.

Aleksandar Djordjevic

WAT528.png

WideViewAspect=True is for triple monitor's only AFAIK.
It applies to any combination of monitors...This setting affects ONLY the 3d scenery rendering in any view by expanding the field of view.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just got FSX installed and am now starting to find mw way around.In spot view the aircraft is very long, will setting the wide screen aspect to true help this problem.

ViewViewAspect just effects how zoom translates to the view, when this is False, zoom to view translation is based on the width of the viewport, when this is True, height of the viewport is used instead.Tim

Thanks Etienne - but i'm afraid changing the fsx.cfg has made no difference - everything's still stretched......Toni.

I did all this but it is all the same. it is still in wide screen.. I want the black bars back on my FSX. but I don't know how to do it. It is still wide screen view..

VC view, or 2d view?

Can you pull the edges of the screen in, by using the mouse?

Bert