Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tingoose

installing FS2004 on 2nd hard drive

Guest Tingoose

I know this has been asked in the past but I've searched and can't find the threads. Does installing FS2004 on a second internal HD, (the non-OS hard drive) have any negative impact on the performance of the sim? Any feedback gratefully received.

I know this has been asked in the past but I've searched and can't find the threads. Does installing FS2004 on a second internal HD, (the non-OS hard drive) have any negative impact on the performance of the sim? Any feedback gratefully received.
I just did this recently. It eliminated my stutters. I still have slowdowns in heavy scenery and weather, but no stutters whatsoever. For me, that's a huge improvement.

None that I've seen. I've always had my FS on the D drive. Some even put the scenery addons on a different drive than the FS drive. A lot of options available.Jim D.

Guest Tingoose

Thanks guys for both your replies. Glad to hear that it should be OK to do this.

Guest mwjb1984
no probs at all. I run all my games on a seperate h/drive. It's better this way as this will ensure that no gaming files are mixed up with the operating system. Performance wise, they run much better.

Guest Tingoose
no probs at all. I run all my games on a seperate h/drive. It's better this way as this will ensure that no gaming files are mixed up with the operating system. Performance wise, they run much better.
This is what I was wondering about specifically. It seems like a good idea to keep gaming files on a separate HD from the OS. With all the many addon installations that most people make to the main FS installation it seems to make sense. Thanks for your comment.

Guest mwjb1984
This is what I was wondering about specifically. It seems like a good idea to keep gaming files on a separate HD from the OS. With all the many addon installations that most people make to the main FS installation it seems to make sense. Thanks for your comment.
just make sure that u regularly defrag the hardrive for optimal performance. i would advise to use either ultimate defrag, tuneup utilities 2009 or smart defrag.
just make sure that u regularly defrag the hardrive for optimal performance. i would advise to use either ultimate defrag, tuneup utilities 2009 or smart defrag.

Guest Tingoose
just make sure that u regularly defrag the hardrive for optimal performance. i would advise to use either ultimate defrag, tuneup utilities 2009 or smart defrag.just make sure that u regularly defrag the hardrive for optimal performance. i would advise to use either ultimate defrag, tuneup utilities 2009 or smart defrag.just make sure that u regularly defrag the hardrive for optimal performance. i would advise to use either ultimate defrag, tuneup utilities 2009 or smart defrag.
Thanks again mjwb1984.