Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

How high can Realair SIAI Marchetti SF260 cruise?

Guest Marvel

hi I'm currently eyeing the buetiful Realair SF260, and would like to know more about it's performance. How high can this plane cruise and how fast? I've seen some data at airliners.net but it is of some newer models. I'm looking for a fast, personnal, stylish commuter aircraft. And how about the panel complexity...

Guest jason2112

This is what the manual says ...Maximum Cruising Speed:Altitude 6500 - 7000 ftEngine RPM 2400 - 2450Manifold Pressure 23.0 - 23-5 in. Hg.This gives me 170 KIAS, which the GPS says results in 185 KTAS.Economical Cruising Speed:Altitude 10000 - 10500 ftEngine RPM 2100 - 2150Manifold Pressure 20.0 - 20.5 in. Hg.Result is 158 KIAS and 179 KTAS.I got these results with default FS2002 weather, starting from Meigs, and using auto mixture (one of these days I will learn how to lean properly ... ;)).What can I say about panel complexity? The SF.260 has three 2D panels: IFR, normal and landing. The gauges on the 2D panels are very smooth and have tool tip readouts when you move the mouse over them. The virtual cockpit is a work of art, period. There is a clever "Strip Panel" that allows you to access most of the knobs and switches from the virtual cockpit without needing to change to the 2D cockpit.The radio stack is the standard model you know from the default Cessnas, but it blends really well into the VC. NAV1 is coupled to an HSI, NAV2 and ADF are coupled to an RMI.I usually fly the SF.260 combined with the RealityXP 530 GPS, which is a great combiniation in my opinion. You can get a tweaked panel.cfg on RealityXP's homepage in the user's files section.If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask! This is my favorite plane, and I'm obviously quite enthusiastic about it ;) I am absolutely sure you will love it!Just my 2c (EUR),VOlker :]

Guest Larry S

The "handbook" that comes with it says max cruise speed is at 6500 to 7000 ft @2400 rpm. Economical cruise is 10,000 to 10,500 ft at 2100 rpm. Not sure if that is the ceiling, and no speeds given. I've only done touch and goes, or just go crazy with it. It's a blast to fly. Has a mini panel that gives a great view. With all that glass, the virtual cockpit has an even better view, but I can't read the guages. If by panel complexity you mean framerate, my brother fies it on a 450 mhz. Had to turn off reflections, all that glass bogged things down. Runs fine otherwise...he has all the sliders in FS set to run at 15 fps, and seems to stay there for the most part. I only have one complaint, force feedback is real strong in hard banks, I tend to oversteer.

Guest Marvel

tnx for the info, I'm eyeing this plane since I have not find a single person say anything bad about it.

We have a sevice pack for those experiencing Force Feedback overkill. If you would like to send me an e-mail to rob@realairsimulations.com with details of your purchase I will send you a fix straight away.In the original package we also include a non-reflective canopy for those with video cards which do not render the reflections well.Regards,Rob Young - RealAir Simulations

>tnx for the info, I'm eyeing this plane since I have not find>a single person say anything bad about it.That's because there ISN'T anything bad about it!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest SlimDady

you will never find anything bad about it.. its simply one of the most complete, and professional payware planes.Weather its flight performance, or visuals, its just amazing.You can spend all your time in the virtual cockpit in this plane and not know the difference from the 2d, it really feel more real in the VC

Guest Marvel

hello guys I bought the SF260 yesterday, the panel graphics, gauges and sounds are good. They're all custom made. Flight Dynamic "feels" real. Just can't get her to spin yet, but trying. (the Vinka is much more easier to spin) Maybe I need to pitch down a bit as suggested in the manual. BTW I like to ask one question, isn't there fuel off position in the fuel selector panel? The document provided is good but to be hornest I would like to see it technically more extensive, like performance chart, emergency procedures bla bla bla etc.

To spin the SF260 -------- just fly along at say 90 to 100 knots.Pull back power & continue to hold aircraft level. As speed bleeds off, you'll continually be pulling back more stick to keep level. When the stall hits, kick full left rudder. The plane will immediately drop the left wing & begin a left hand rotation. You can recover & hit full right rudder to start a right hand rotation if desired.I use rudder pedals & realism settings at 100%.L.Adamson

Please check you have MAX realism set in the aircraft/realism menu. Second, the SF260 will easily spin after a stall with nose up and zero throttle, whereupon you whack in full left, or right rudder whilst still holding elevator full back.Please note the SF260 is not cleared for spinning with full fuel tanks. Wing tanks should be dry or have very little in them.Regards,Rob Young - RealAir Simulations

Guest SlimDady

I have no problems getting it to spinMake sure your relasim is up also, i believe its p-factor that really counts.Climb to altitude, keep throttle up, pul back on the stick until speed starts to bleed off, keep pulling back and try to keep it at the same adittude. I will start to stall crank the rudder, keep pulling back on the stick and it will spin

Guest Marvel

hello, may I add 2 questionsI'm not sure the reason I cannot spin the SF260 is because I've inserted a command stick_sensitivity_mode=0 in the file fs2002.cfg don't know whether it effect the spin charactor. And another thing is does the SF260 equip with presurization system, cause I read somewhere that it could cruise at FL190.

I've never tried the Sf260 with the settings you describe. We designed it to function perfectly with standard FS settings, but remembering the Max realism in the airraft menu. Please also remember to UNTICK autoco-ordination in the aircraft realism menu, and use RUDDER for spinning not aileron.Sometimes the max realism slider appears to be fully right but in fact isn't. Please double check this. I assure you the Sf260 will spin every time with these settings.This aircraft is not pressurised, and therefore a realistic ceiling is 12-14,000 feet, though it will cruise better a bit lower than this.Regards,Rob Young - RealAir Simulations

Guest Marvel

Hi Rob I've edited stick sensitivity command back to default setting and yeah, now I can spin the SF260 :-)

Well, I have now flown the real thing. On July 26th,2003 I traveled to Livermore, CA. to fly with AircombatUSA. Spent a little over and hour Dogfighting in the SF260. I quit flying about 30 years ago. This was my first time back with a stick in my hand.The real plane is an absolute dream to fly. The stick requires almost no input. It feels like the plane reads your mind. My check pilot was a California National Guard F16 pilot. He said the SF260 handles like the F16. It just fly's slower. We had the speeds up near the limit several times. At the merge with fight's on, about 350 kts closure speed. A couple of times I must have pulled over 4 G's. It doesn't take much. Was very uncomfortable. Picks up speed very fast when you point the nose down. I flew against Crash of SimHQ fame who wrote "How to Live and Die in the Virtual Sky. We each had 3 kills.Rob, I had told you I was going on this adventure. It was an absolute hoot. And worth every penny. I'll enjoy flying your Realair even more now. Thanks.Lou "Yoda" Mayers100th AFWBuddy Boys