Sign in to follow this  
Swoop

Note about FS9 and memory

OK, just in case anyone is interested. I turned off the Windows XP swap file, turned off the function that writes a bit to every file XP accesses and cleared the system memory of anything that was un-necessary. I ran FS9 with all sliders maxed and real world weather with 32bit clouds at 1920x1200. I flew from Cloud9 KLAX to Shez KPSP across Mega Scenery Southern California and ran at 40 FPS. The peak amount of memory used was 1.2gb.Note to self...cool :)Mark

Some games or programs, will NOT work, if you don't have swap/page file, no matter how much physical memory you got. So, pay attention on that. :(

Thanks for the heads up...taken under advisement. By the way, anything main stream to take heed of? I don't run any other games except for Solitaire and my SQL Servers are on a 64 bit system, not this old box. About the only thing I use on this is Visual Studio 2005 for C# and C++ and Microsoft Access, Excel, and Word. Oh, Firefox too :)Mark

Turn the swap file back on and see what happens. I think some of the other maintenance had more to do with this than the swap file.

OK, will do and I'll take the same flight in a bit and see if there was any noticeable degradation in anything...thanks Jim!Mark

Hey MarkPlease let us know what you're findings are on this please.This could be an interesting find.I wonder if a script could be made that turned this off before FS, and then back on again when you close FS, kind of like the facilities we currently enjoy when using FS Autostart.Just a thought.

Yeah, I turned the swap file back on and it seems to be working OK. I haven't noticed any issues. So it appears that Jim was right...again! Darn, I'll catch him napping one day :)Mark

Hey Steve, if you want to change the status for the Window's last file access procedure, run one of the following commands from a command prompt...View Current Statusfsutil behavior query disablelastaccessDisable Last File Accessfsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1Enable Last File Accessfsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 0Mark

Hey MarkPlease let us know what you're findings are on this please.This could be an interesting find.I wonder if a script could be made that turned this off before FS, and then back on again when you close FS, kind of like the facilities we currently enjoy when using FS Autostart.Just a thought.
I may be insufficiently techie and have missed the point, but having arrived at turning off unwanted processes seeming to be the big factor, and with G-SWSM suggesting a script, perhaps a small utility like "EndItAll" is worth a look? I have used it with apparent good effect on my clunker of a PC (though don't have it running just now since I anticipate a new PC some time soon).Try http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/enditall.htm (or Google for the name).

Guest datatrain
I may be insufficiently techie and have missed the point, but having arrived at turning off unwanted processes seeming to be the big factor, and with G-SWSM suggesting a script, perhaps a small utility like "EndItAll" is worth a look? I have used it with apparent good effect on my clunker of a PC (though don't have it running just now since I anticipate a new PC some time soon).Try http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/enditall.htm (or Google for the name).
Try a freebie called Game Booster. It does exactly what your describing. You can turn it on and off when your done with FS. Seems to be quick and works great.DAve

Hey all.This thread caught my eye because of the mention of Game Booster by johnfromoz and datatrain, and EnditallI have never heard of Game Booster before, and wondered what people thought about it ?Also, I was curious as to why the same people had not tried or use FS Autostart.Looking at them side by side they do seem to do the same thing, but FS Autostart does def-rag your memory and then start up FS automatically and then fire up the applications / processes it stopped afterword.I am just curious about this, and not trying to start a war against one program or the other.If you don't mind taking a minute or two would you say why you prefer the one over the other please.Any thoughts or feedback would be most welcome, as this is the only way we can all make our hobbies more enjoyable by swapping ideas and suggestions such as these with each other. ( oh my gosh, this is social networking :( )Many thanks.

Guest Crewchief408

Hey Steve,You know I've used FS Autostart before, and I just gave this Game Booster a try.. I think Game Booster was much simpler to use and it also cleans the system RAM :(Regards,Chris

I have been using Game Booster for the past 6 months or so and really feel it is the easiest of all to use.I had tried most, if not all, of the other programs of this type and feel GB does a better job - can't "prove" that statement but that is how it appears to me. :( Won't hurt to try it and judge for yourself.