Sign in to follow this  
fletch

Not able to "Make This The Default Flight" or keep Saved settings

Hi there,I recently had to re-install FSX and all my Add-ons. Now i can't seem to get FSX to save my last flight or at the very least my settings. I even tick the box "Make This The Default Flight" to save and start up that saved settings and /or flight at the next start up. But it still starts with the default start up page and all the default start up settings.At the moment i have to re-set all my settings everytime i start up FSX.Is there something that i have done wrong or something i can do to fix it?Your help and time would be much appreciated.Thank you very much.kind regardsFletch.

Guest UlfB

Are you running Vista on your computer and having UAC active?

Sorry,i forgot to mention what system i have.I run Windows XP.i have also FSX Acceleration pack too thanks for your help.

You could try editing your fsx.cfg file directly. About half way down the page look for an entry in the UserInterface section called Situation. You can comment out the default situation and enter the path to a situation of your own on the next line.In Vista the path to your fsx.cfg is C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX, but I've forgotten what it is in XP. In any case you'll have to Show Hidden Files in your Control Panel to find it.

Mike Beckwith

Thanks you Highmike,Unfortunally i am not that good with computers so i don't fully understand what you mean.I used to be able to just tick that box "Make This The Default Flight" and all the setting would just stay for the next game. but now since i reloaded it again i have seemed to lost that option??????thanks again for your time, and help.kind regardsFletch.

Hi Fletch,Your fsx.cfg may have become corrupted if you've been changing the startup flight often. You may be able to correct your fsx.cfg by renaming it and letting FSX build a new one next time it starts. First you'll have to find it and to do this you'll have to open your Control Panel and find an entry called Folder Options. Open this and hit the Views tab, then hit the Show hidden files and folders option, and then the Apply button at the bottom of the page. Now you'll be able to see the path to your fsx.cfg file which will be as follows in your XP installation:C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSXWhen you find your fsx.cfg just rename it to something like My_Original_fsx.cfg. You'll probably want to re-hide hidden files and folders so go back to where you were in your Control Panel Folder Options and hit the other radio button.You'll lose a lot of your previous settings doing this so it may not be worthwhile, but having found your fsx.cfg you could look for the Situation entry as indicated in my previous post. Just put a couple of slashes '//' at the beginning of the line and on the next line type in the path to where your new startup file is located. In Vista it is C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files, and it will be in a very similar location in XP.Good luck.

Mike Beckwith

Thanks heaps Highmike,I will give that a go and see how i go.thanks again for your time and help.Fletch.

Hi again Highmike,I hope i am not bothering you too much but i tried to see what you suggested to do [Regarding the fsx.cfg ] but i can't seem to find that part called "Situation" in the Userinterface section, So i don't know what to do next.By the way i have also noticed there is a fsx.CFG text Document file also with the same details. Am i suposted to change that also???I have cut and pasted a bit of that section that i think you are talking about in C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX.[from the fsx.cfg]It is as follows.[uSERINTERFACE]ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1SelectAircraftManufacturer=AllSelectAircraftPublisher=AllSelectAircraftType=AllPageID=6OpenATCOnCreate=0SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0Map_Orientation=2[ATC]Is that [above] the right section?I also gave that renaming thing a go [My_Original_fsx.cfg] and then re-started FSX and then added in my new settings, then parked a default plane at a parking bay, set up all the settings then saved the file and re-started the FSX, only to have the same problem, It's as if it does not reconize any saved games or settings.?????Thank you for your time Highmike.kind regards Fletch.

This is what my UserInterface looks like:[uSERINTERFACE]ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1SelectAircraftManufacturer=AllSelectAircraftPublisher=AllSelectAircraftType=AllPageID=1OpenATCOnCreate=0DisplayFuelAsWeight=1SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1//SITUATION=C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\My Startup FlightSITUATION=E:\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\Flights\other\FLTSIMMap_Orientation=2When I want to change my startup flight I just put the slashes in front of the one I don't want and delete the slashes from the one I do want. It's a tidy way of changing flights compared to hitting the Make this the default flight checkbox which seems to confuse FSX, and you could have any number of saved flights listed there with slashes in front of them. If you do it this way a few times then before long you'll want to create a Shortcut to your fsx.cfg on your Desktop. Right click anywhere on your Desktop and select Shortcut from the menu, then navigate to your fsx.cfg.As for your duplicate fsx.cfg, leave it there. The one you edit is the one with the blank page icon. The other one may be a template used for file creation.I hope this works for you.

Mike Beckwith

................... At the moment i have to re-set all my settings everytime i start up FSX.
Hello Fletch, after you have made your setting changes in FSX, are you returning to the main screen before exiting the sim? If you have loaded a flight after making those changes and don't return to the main screen before you exit, your changes will not be reflected on restart.

Regards, Kendall

Hi there Kendell,Thank you for your time.I have tried your suggestion to save my flight then i exit the game [not go back to the start menu] but i still have the same problems when i restart my flight.Thanks anyway.kind regardsFletch.

If you have loaded a flight after making those changes and don't return to the main screen before you exit, your changes will not be reflected on restart.
I have tried your suggestion to save my flight then i exit the game [not go back to the start menu] but i still have the same problems when i restart my flight.
Respectfully Fletch, I believe you may have misinterpreted Kendall. I believe he meant the reverse of your interpretation. You should return to the main menu before exiting.

Mike Beckwith

Respectfully Fletch, I believe you may have misinterpreted Kendall. I believe he meant the reverse of your interpretation. You should return to the main menu before exiting.
Thanks Mike. Sorry I may have confused you Fletch but yes, one does need to return to the main screen before exiting the sim. When you exit the sim any changes that have occured to settings are written to various files, such as the fsx.cfg, standard.xml etc. Hope you have solved your issue.

Regards, Kendall

Hi there guys, again thanks for helping me out.I have tried to follow that shut down procedure but i still have the same problem.i will cut and past the FSX CFG file for you to look at if it helps, as i have no idea what it all means.This is what is in my FSX CFG file...[sOUND]AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000[Display]ChangeTime=4.000000TransitionTime=4.000000ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoBrakesEnable=TrueInfoParkingBrakesEnable=TrueInfoPauseEnable=TrueInfoSlewEnable=TrueInfoStallEnable=TrueInfoOverspeedEnable=TrueWideViewAspect=False[Main]User Objects=Airplane, HelicopterSimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\AirplanesSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\RotorcraftSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\BoatsSimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\AnimalsSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\MiscProcSpeed=4588PerfBucket=4Location=124,46,900,676,\\.\DISPLAY1Maximized=2[PANELS]IMAGE_QUALITY=1DEFAULT_VIEW=1[Weather]WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1MinGustTime=10MaxGustTime=500MinGustRampSpeed=1MaxGustRampSpeed=200MinVarTime=5MaxVarTime=50MinVarRampSpeed=10MaxVarRampSpeed=75TurbulenceScale=1.000000WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.comWeatherServerPort=80WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1DynamicWeather=2DownloadWindsAloft=0DisableTurbulence=0[DISPLAY.Device.WinFast PX6600 GT Extreme.0]Mode=1280x1024x32[AccelerationPack]ControlsFirstRun=0HomePageFirstRun=0[CONTROLS]Controls_Default=StandardControls_Current=Standard[TextInfo.1]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6[TextInfo.2]FrameRate=1,1LockedFrameRate=1,2GForce=1,3FuelPercentage=1,4[TextInfo.3]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6FrameRate=2,1LockedFrameRate=2,2GForce=2,3FuelPercentage=2,4[slewTextInfo.1]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5[slewTextInfo.2]FrameRate=1,1LockedFrameRate=1,2[slewTextInfo.3]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5FrameRate=2,1LockedFrameRate=2,2[Trusted]C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\LVLD.dll.wqwuzauialtknbwbalqikilwnuecqnkahqreheql=1C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FeelThere\E170\EJetH.dll.eqozoeqicillzkzcekctatrwreoiowccwlorqawq=1C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.dll.ariqlkntnzobeqkukwertqunoutaieckzatkwzwb=1C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSCopilot.dll.lthwuoukccolreeqrrokuolrohlrothnblnilcac=1C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\DLLs\PMDGOptions.dll.euzklklaqibtchleqwkieuennbwkahiizcuzlrhk=1C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\DLLs\PMDGEvents.dll.atulelrhbwiclzzztrqzbqrcolattooeehwiurke=1C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\DLLs\PMDGSounds.dll.lkhwhathwblzbawzhuezwtziwcurrhkzothotoec=1C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\737-400.DLL.ctazeuotuwohtucwebzonnrlbwbbcqrailccqrca=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Magnetic_Compass.DLL.kzhutwhbrrzrtattlbhonuwuhiibiiheititlaht=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FsPassengers\bin\fspassengersx.dll.eokbhalalibqorokobqnrhocotnlqloaloqqwtqo=1C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Bell_206B.DLL.qrqnthuinecwbnqcqbcowucwoictlhahetzaqrzq=2C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Bendix_King_Radio.DLL.rbohlrnhbbobawiircechqrnlenhebrqrlwbnquo=2[DynamicHeadMovement]LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000MaxHeadAngle=5.000000MaxHeadOffset=0.300000HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000[VirtualCopilot]VirtualCopilotActive=0[GRAPHICS]SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672D3D10=0See_Self=1Text_Scroll=1[uSERINTERFACE]ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1SelectAircraftManufacturer=AllSelectAircraftPublisher=AllSelectAircraftType=AllPageID=1OpenATCOnCreate=0DisplayFuelAsWeight=0SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0Map_Orientation=2[FlightPlanMap]LineWidth=2SHOW_AIRPORTS=1SHOW_VORS=1SHOW_NDBS=1SHOW_APPROACHES=1SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=1SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1show_waypoints=1show_airways=1show_markers=1show_volume_boundaries=1show_ac_twr=1[RWW_WEATHER_MAP]SHOW_AIRPORTS=0SHOW_VORS=0SHOW_NDBS=0SHOW_APPROACHES=0SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=0SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1[ATC]ShowATCText=1COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFFCOMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21BCOMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840[PointOfInterestSystem]CycleSetting=0[MULTIPLAYER]condAccoutPassword=0[FACILITIES]COUNTRY=STATE=CITY=GTL_BUTTON=1914[Misc]Com_Rate=7[startup]LoadWindow=1I so appreciate you help on this guys.kind regardsFletch.

Hi Fletch,Good on you for persisting with this problem!The next thing I would try would be to insert the following line into your fsx.cfg at the end of the UserInterface section:SITUATION=C:\Users\Your User Name\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\My Startup FlightOf course you'll have to ammend the line so as to indicate your preferred startup flight.Good luck.

Mike Beckwith