Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

19 inch monitor!

Guest Shayt

Hello fellow simmers,The following question was first posted at the PC/Hardware forum but my feeling is that here I will get more responses due to the higher traffic. Anyway, it is not such a technical question.I'm thinking to upgrade my display setting and to move from 17" to 19" monitor (CRT). I've read many reviews on such monitors but of-coarse none of them refer to the specific requirements of flight simming. I will appreciate to have your insight for the important features that I need to look for and for recommendations of specific models.Thanks,Shay

Generally, bigger is better - if you've got the desk space ! I'd like to upgrade from my 17-inch, but don't have the room !Alastair

Guest Shayt

Thanks all for the prompt responses.Because of space and budget restrictions, I already decided to go for 19" monitor. So my questions are mainly refers to this type of monitors.Thanks again,Shay

Guest UweR

Hi, I bought a reasonably priced 19

Shay,I have a ViewSonic A90 19 inch and simply love it. I think that you can't go wrong with any model of ViewSonic you find is applicable.Cheers!Mitch R.

Shay,It's difficult to answer your question without knowing what graphics card you have. The monitor and graphics card form a team and the combination is only as good as its weakest component. The beauty of a 19" monitor is the higher resolutions it can run at but if your graphics card doesn't have enough memory to support those resolutions then it's money wasted.If you have a 128Mb card then a quality 19" CRT is well worth the investment. I don't know what part of the world you live in so can't recommend specific makes. But look out for the highest refresh rates at a given resolution. That's usually the pointer of a quality display. My Iiyama 19" can support 1600*1200*32-bit colour at 85Hz. You should consider 85Hz as the minimum required to avoid screen flicker.Hope that helps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Have a look at the Viewsonic GS790. It's a 19" but takes up the same footprint on your desk as a 15" monitor. I'm looking at getting this one as I think my old 17" Mag is dying.

Guest Paul_W

Recently I bought a 19" Viewsonic UltraBrite A90f+ at Best Buy (my 17" Sony Trinitron, which had a beautiful picture, died within its first year). Basically I view this model as fairly average, but it has one key feature that I really appreciate--the easy-access UltraBrite on/off button on the front panel. Right now it's off, and most of the time it is when I'm writing in a document or working in a spreadsheet, etc.; if it wasn't the display would be too bright to look at. BUT, when I want to look at some digital photos or other graphics, or view a promotional video, this setting makes a big difference. Photos look a lot more lifelike with UltraBrite on--which is to say they look unnaturally dull when it's off--so I've really come to appreciate this feature. I also think it will make a big difference when I get back into PC flying when the new FS and LOMAC are released this summer.The subject of monitors comes up fairly regularly around here, and at Flightsim, so you might also try a search if you want more information. I know I've contributed to about five threads on the subject over the last couple of months.

Guest Dan CYKA

size does matter.

Guest Captain Barfbag

By odd coincidence, my 17-inch Viewsonic died the day this thread started. Snap Crackle Pop, and it smelled worse than Rice Krispies, too. HV Power Supply arc is my guess. The thing is only about 3 years old, or less. Still, I can get a 19-inch VS for about 2 and a quarter after the rebate. I wouldn't have upgraded just for the heck of it, but now that the old gray goose is dead I guess I have to. Too bad, huh? That's what I told the wife, anyway.Just as an aside, about 5 years ago I picked up a 15-inch rehab Dell at a computer show for a very good price. It's still running bright and clear, and if it weren't for that monitor I'd be flyin' blind right now...

Guest Shayt

Ray,Thanks, it sure helps.My graphic card is ATI8500LE with 64MB and it says that ir support 1600x1200 at 85Hz. Do you think that moving to a 128MB will do a lot of different? Thanks again,Shay

Guest KenG

Things to look for in a CRT monitor are:Flat screenApeture Grill versus Shadow Mask (personal preference)Brightness (larger monitors are usually not as bright)Resolutions supportedDot pitch or stripe pitchAnd most importantly...refresh rate at the resolution you want to run.Refresh rates below 75Hz will cause flickering screens and make your eyes hurt. On a 19" monitor, expect 1280x1024 to be a good resolution, with 1600x1200 a close second. Make sure the monitor you get can do at least 85Hz at those resolutions.I've got an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454. It can do 1600x1200@100Hz. It has a Diamondtron, apeture grill, natural flat, 0.25mm stripe pitch tube. It's a bit pricey but that's what you get with a higher end monitor. It also has 4 USB ports, 2 VGA inputs (if you need to connect 2 computers to it), and 2 crappy speakers (that I don't use).You can get it for about $365 + shipping.

Hi Shay,<>A 64Mb card will be fine with a 19" monitor. It's much easier for a graphics card to deliver 1600*1200 at 85Hz - now you have to find a monitor that will display it. This is where you need to tread with care. Money spent on a quality CRT will not be wasted as it will deliver quality images for many years. My 19" Sony is 4.5 years old and is now my secondary display and still going strong. I recently bought the same monitor as Ken G (further down) - an Iiyama Pro 454 19". This is a superb monitor and I can recommend it but I'm not certain you can get these in the US.Please be aware that the quality of monitors varies enormously - hence the huge variation in prices. You get what you pay for. Only the best ones will be able to deliver 85Hz refresh rates (the guaranteed minimum to avoid screen flicker) at high resolutions such as 1600*1200. You will probably need to look at the top-of-the-range models from whatever company you choose from. I suggest you visit the web site of some manufacturers and make a short-list.128Mb will not make any difference to frame rates - the extra memory simply redraws textures quicker. 128Mb cards usually support dual displays which can be very handy for displaying moving maps, undocked panels etc. I suggest you keep the 64Mb card for a while and buy the best quality display you can afford.Hope that helps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather