Sign in to follow this  
fsx

FS9 crashing on startup

Hi all,Over the past two weeks I have gone through painstaking efforts to reinstall FS9 from scratch. Everything was going well and all has been stable until this morning. I have FSDream Team's very good KLAS scenery ans JFK scenery installed and functioning for a few days now. But when i ran the installer for their Zurich scenery this morning and tried to restart the sim, it crashed. So I uninstalled the Zurich scenery and also ran the registry cleaner. Whenever I try to run the sim now it crashes within the first three seconds of double clicking the FS9 icon. What is the sim looking for within this very short space of time that it decides to crash just then ?? Tearing my hair out!Thanks for assistance in advanceerich

Guest mwjb1984
Hi all,Over the past two weeks I have gone through painstaking efforts to reinstall FS9 from scratch. Everything was going well and all has been stable until this morning. I have FSDream Team's very good KLAS scenery ans JFK scenery installed and functioning for a few days now. But when i ran the installer for their Zurich scenery this morning and tried to restart the sim, it crashed. So I uninstalled the Zurich scenery and also ran the registry cleaner. Whenever I try to run the sim now it crashes within the first three seconds of double clicking the FS9 icon. What is the sim looking for within this very short space of time that it decides to crash just then ?? Tearing my hair out!Thanks for assistance in advanceerich
is there any error message showing up before crashing??? If not, try to use ccleaner (free) and run fs2004 again. If that doesnt work, i would advise then , to uninstall everything, run ccleaner, then reinstall fs2004 + addons.hope this helps

No error message before it crashes. The FS9 opening screen shows very quickly and then disappears. I really want to avoid a reinstall. It's taken two weeks to get everything back to where I had it. I will try ccleaner thanks. Update: Okay, so I tried ccleaner - same problem. So my question is -is there an easy way to install FS9 base files without having to reinstall everything else again? I have deleted the old FS9.cfg aso a new one could be rebuilt. In fact it doesnt even seem to be getting as far as rebuilding the .cfg again becausde it crashes out before the .cfg can be created. The new file is just blank. How can one addon stuff things up so badly? A system restore also has not worked.erich

Guest mwjb1984
No error message before it crashes. The FS9 opening screen shows very quickly and then disappears. I really want to avoid a reinstall. It's taken two weeks to get everything back to where I had it. I will try ccleaner thanks. Update: Okay, so I tried ccleaner - same problem. So my question is -is there an easy way to install FS9 base files without having to reinstall everything else again? I have deleted the old FS9.cfg aso a new one could be rebuilt. In fact it doesnt even seem to be getting as far as rebuilding the .cfg again becausde it crashes out before the .cfg can be created. The new file is just blank. How can one addon stuff things up so badly? A system restore also has not worked.erich
do u have anything else running in the background e.g antivirus, firewall,etc... that is preventing fs2004 to run??? is it on xp or vista???

There is a .....uh.....modification that some make to their FS installs that......ummm...alter a requirement for a certain action concerning hardware at startup.There are 2 versions floating around in cyber space. One for FS9, one for FS9.1.If someone (not saying you) were to attempt to use the wrong one they would experience something close to what you describe.Or so I've been told.Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

The, um, whatsits that Joe refers to could have a more detremental effect than you may think. Many are riddled with spyware and stuff and best avoided. Having said that, although its a while since I worked in Law, as far as I'm aware UK law still gives right of ownership rights quite different to the US and some other countries.Basically, if you live in the UK, its quite legal to do whatever you want with anything you purchase (unless you enter a written contract not to do so) provided its for your own use only.Incidentally, begfore someone mentions it, the claims on most packaging that states something like "Opening this package constitutes an agreement" blah blah, is, in the UK at least, just nonsense. An agreement must be accepted by both parties.Dave

The, um, whatsits that Joe refers to could have a more detremental effect than you may think. Many are riddled with spyware and stuff and best avoided. Having said that, although its a while since I worked in Law, as far as I'm aware UK law still gives right of ownership rights quite different to the US and some other countries.Basically, if you live in the UK, its quite legal to do whatever you want with anything you purchase (unless you enter a written contract not to do so) provided its for your own use only.Incidentally, begfore someone mentions it, the claims on most packaging that states something like "Opening this package constitutes an agreement" blah blah, is, in the UK at least, just nonsense. An agreement must be accepted by both parties.Dave
I believe its the same as the UK here in OZ...we have rights in foreign countries!Mark