Sign in to follow this  
Guest familyguy

MD-11 Basic Naviation query - What am i doing wrong ?

Guest familyguy

Hello all,I'm probably doing something awful wrong here.Attached are two pictures illustrating what i'm trying to accomplish.Basically i setup VOR1 to 117.2/349 (CVV) wanting to fly to waypoint CANDL(circled in read) which is the intersection point between YYJ-R70 (VOR2) and CVV-R349.As you can see in the simulated picture. the HSI shows the intersection and CANDL should have been right here, however de facto CANDL is way off.Can you please PLEASE tell me what did i configure wrong ?Thank you so much in advance.Brain Wilkins.

Well you are using GPS Navigation so your position accuracy should be high. The only reason i can think of is that the LATLON for CANDL is different in the PMDG database than on that chart. If you can find out the LATLON for CANDL, cross check it with the CANDL in the FMS by going to the REF page and entering it into the WAYPOINT prompt.

If CANDL is in your flightplan, why not just execute a direct to fix?A problem out West is the mag variation for MSFS is years out of date, and the charts are current. The two don't match up very often. You can verify this by jumping in the C172 and using slew to go to the latlon for CANDL, then tune the two VORs and set which radials the fix lies on in the MSFS world. Probably not 349 and 070.

Dan Downs KCRP

You can even see the errors in the navigation between fs9 and fsx in the tutorial as the DET/273 should pass through the Epsom ndb.FS9FSXJohn Ellison

Guest familyguy
If CANDL is in your flightplan, why not just execute a direct to fix?A problem out West is the mag variation for MSFS is years out of date, and the charts are current. The two don't match up very often. You can verify this by jumping in the C172 and using slew to go to the latlon for CANDL, then tune the two VORs and set which radials the fix lies on in the MSFS world. Probably not 349 and 070.
so, why hasnt this issue been fixed ?? doen't this kind of ruin ANY kind of navigation credibility fsx (and early) has ?i dont get this....Also on a different note. When airline pilots prepare to takeoff/land aside from setting up the sid/star in the FMC, umm what (if any) navaids are being tuned in the NAVRAD pages ??this has always a riddle to me

On departure you should tune the radios to fly the SID on raw navigation as a backup, on Arrival I also tend to have the missed approach setup for raw navigation again. Does anyone know if the MD11 simulates map shift if not flying a GPS equiped aircraft?RegardsRob

Rob Prest

so, why hasnt this issue been fixed ?? doen't this kind of ruin ANY kind of navigation credibility fsx (and early) has ?i dont get this....Also on a different note. When airline pilots prepare to takeoff/land aside from setting up the sid/star in the FMC, umm what (if any) navaids are being tuned in the NAVRAD pages ??this has always a riddle to me
Ask microsoft why they didn't make provisions to update information that changes on a 28-day or yearly basis??Your second question, it depends. A departure at KATL or KDFW with RNAV SIDs is different from a departure from KLAX where there is an altitude constraint on West departures based on a VOR radial. In every case, check the charts and determine what information you need and when you need it.

Dan Downs KCRP

The navaids did match the Real World at the time FSX was compiled. They used the then current world-wide data.That you choose to use today's data which does not match the sim is just that: your decision.There is no practical/reasonable way that FSX could have been released with an "updatable database." There isn't one, single database table after all. The information is distributed amongst several thousand separate files.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It would be easy to update the variation assigned to the VORs, which does change, and is published every 56 days in digital format by the NACO office at the FAA (in US). I figure if they licensed interfaces with Jeppesen they could have gone a step further and created a continuing cash stream. It would also have been nice to provide a faciltiy, even if only accessed through the SDK, of easily updating navdata to make it easy to add/change/delete routes, fixes waypoints and navaids. I've done this a couple of times and they did not make it easy. It is possible, but not practical.

Dan Downs KCRP

Does anyone know if the MD11 simulates map shift if not flying a GPS equiped aircraft?RegardsRob
Rob,Think the answer to that is yes. Just figured it out for myself.Starting an ocean crossing I INHIBIT*ed GNS Nav on the POS REF page, and on top of that, failed both GNS receivers via the PMDG Failure Menu.After some 2.5 hours out of reach of any VOR/DME, GNS1 and 2 failures where cleared.The GNS's started aquiring satelite data and switched to the nav mode again. POS REF page2.The GNS positions did show also an offset to the FMC position.After GNS NAV ENABLE* the a/c did a course correction to the magenta trackline and the FMC/GNS Offset data became all zero's again.Wonderfull piece of programming. Thanks PMDG.Regards,Harry

Harry, I didn't know she would do that. Golly.

Dan Downs KCRP

Harry, I didn't know she would do that. Golly.
Dan,I'm kind of addicted to the MD11, and seen it operating first without and lateron with GNS Update.Some questions trigger me to just check-it out how it is simulated.And indeed, also this one get's me smiling!Great work.Regards,Harry

Thanks Harry, the depth of this sim is amazing :)Rob

Rob Prest

Thanks Harry, the depth of this sim is amazing :)Rob
Rob,My pleasure, thanks for the trigger.Harry

At risk of de-railing the thread:

There is no practical/reasonable way that FSX could have been released with an "updatable database." There isn't one, single database table after all. The information is distributed amongst several thousand separate files.
They could have made it an open format. ;) ;)Back on topic...I just spotted
* VOR ARM

She can fly VORs automatically??? blink.gifblink.gifblink.gifBest regards,Robin.