Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alexandervw

How to become a pilot?

Guest Alexandervw

Hello,I'm now going to my last year in secondary school, and I'm looking for a pilot school.I live in Belgium and saw that I was able to go to the KLM Flight Academy... But it costs over

Alexander,I think this ain't the right place to aks this question. On www.airwork.nl you can find a lot of information about becoming a pilot and especially becoming a pilot in The Netherlands.Good luck!

Hello,I'm now going to my last year in secondary school, and I'm looking for a pilot school.I live in Belgium and saw that I was able to go to the KLM Flight Academy... But it costs over

but I'm very sure that if you wear glasses to correct vision, you will not be accepted for commercial pilot training with an airline.
Are you really very sure? Don't misinform others on the subject you have limited info about. In the USA you can be a commercial pilot with 1-st class FAA medical and wearing glasses. There are many such pilots, freshly hired too, 100% legal. But ultimately it is up to an airline if they want to hire you - and wearing glasses or be an expert in Shakespearean literature may count equally in your hiring prospects. But like Pieter stated above - this is not the place to discuss about becoming a pilot in the Netherlands.

Guest CX355

:( :(

Are you really very sure? Don't misinform others on the subject you have limited info about. In the USA you can be a commercial pilot with 1-st class FAA medical and wearing glasses. There are many such pilots, freshly hired too, 100% legal. But ultimately it is up to an airline if they want to hire you - and wearing glasses or be an expert in Shakespearean literature may count equally in your hiring prospects. But like Pieter stated above - this is not the place to discuss about becoming a pilot in the Netherlands.
correct....most vision problems/not all which require the use of glasses must be able to be corrected to 20/20 as I have been told......many pilots wear glasses, especially those who are moving up the age ladder.....VB

To land.....or NOT to land...... That is the question.

Best regards from Tony, at the helm of the flying desk.

:( :( correct....most vision problems/not all which require the use of glasses must be able to be corrected to 20/20 as I have been told......many pilots wear glasses, especially those who are moving up the age ladder.....VB
My info comes from a friend who was going through the process of beginning pilot training until someone noticed that he wore glasses. Ended abrubtly that career choice. That was a number of years ago though, and possibly rules have changed. Of course commercial pilots may wear glasses if they became necessary after some years of service.But, hey, I could be wrong. Have been before.Jim D.Edit: OK, I'm wrong. Found this on a GOOGLE search:YES, yes, yes- pilots CAN wear glasses! Civilian private or commercial pilots are permitted to wear glasses or contacts. Per the Federal Aviation Regulations, pilots must have vision that is 20/20 or correctable to that for commercial flying and 20/40 or vision correctable to that for private flying. I am an airline pilot and I fly with people who wear both all the time.Here are the eyesight standards for civilian pilots. A "First Class" medical is needed for airline pilots, while a "Third Class" medical is needed for private operators.Code of Federal Regulations; Title 14: Aeronautics and SpacePART 67

Guest Alexandervw
To be a commercial pilot, wearing glasses isn't a problem.And I'm from Belgium.Ciao,Alexander

I just went for my First Class Medical here in the states - and I was told to bring my glasses. I know there are some issues regarding military aviators and glasses, however since I don't know the facts, I will not speculate. As far as the aviation industry goes, it really fluctuates. If you base your dreams on the highs and lows of an industry that is usually always like that, than you'll be disappointed. I'm just about about to begin my training at the ATP Academy, and I am also weary about the future. I, however, have many friends that are pilots for Delta, Air Tran, and Continental and they seem to think that if I were to ever begin training - doing so in a down time would be the most advisable. Hopefully when things start to swing around, I'll be finished with my MEI, CFII tickets and they'll be hiring.If you want to do it, than you'll find a way. Also, if you want better information - I would suggest going over to a site that is centered around real world aviation. As you know, this site and more specifically this forum is for PMDG products. Try airlinepilotforums.com. Take Care,Blake Williams

Guest Alexandervw
Alexander,Check also this website, http://www.sfa.be
Thanks for the link... I didn't know that in Belgium there was a pilot school too.Please keep sending links, information, ... I think a lot of people dream about a pilot career, and usefull information helps to make this dream come true!!!!Thanks!!!Ciao,Alexander

I signed up but got rejected because I'm colorblind.Funny though because I can't really see how this will effect my performance.

I highly recommend the Delta Avation Academy. Its located in Sanford Florida. I personally looked into the program and found it to be one of the best avaliable. However, this is a VERY expensive carreer path. I would recommend that you save up your money and pay as you go thru it. Here is some free advise This advise I charge for in my world....You dont want to start a $24,000 a year job with $100,000 of debt. This is dumb. Dont be a dummy, in debt.....That $100,000 WILL have interest attached to it....and now your even worse shape. Hows that to start off your life?, 5 years or more of six figure debt!. Debt is not a plan for your future--peter osborn

Peter Osborn

Guest redmotion

Why would anyone go through commerical air pilot training to get paid $24,000 a year! Can't you get that as an assistant manager at walmart?! The $100,000 debt is proportionate to the ACTUAL salary of an airline pilot which is at least DOUBLE that to begin with. 5 years of debt hanging around your shoulders is no different from going to Uni. Some people think that debt is an investment. If it is in your future career and skills or a house I think it is worth it, if it's for a sports car, then no!http://careers.stateuniversity.com/pages/8...lane-Pilot.htmlThis is out of date but to quote "In 2004 the median salary of all airline pilots was $129,250 per year". That is a salary not to be sniffed at - its at least +$40k that now. In this world you need to earn as much honest money as you can (especially in the US where the salaries seem so bad and the healthcare isn't free).