Sign in to follow this  
bha19

Planes do not match the description in FSX

I have several planes I downloaded and added to my airplanes folder. The problem is that now when I start FSX and do a free flight a nd choose an aircraft the picture does not match the plane description. Any idea which plane might cause this problem?bha19

I have several planes I downloaded and added to my airplanes folder. The problem is that now when I start FSX and do a free flight a nd choose an aircraft the picture does not match the plane description. Any idea which plane might cause this problem?bha19
I would say the ATR.. up to that point, the pictures seem lined up.Since you said in another post that you installed the planes into incorrect folders,I would carefully look your planes over and make sure they are correctly installed.In FSX, Simobjects/Airplanes/"Airplane name" and within that folder, an aircraft.cfg file that lists the variations, starting with [fltsim.0] and so on.If you introduce an unexpected structure, FSX may just do something like you are experiencing.

Bert

Also look in each texture subfolder for aircraft you have installed.There should be a graphic file named thumbnail.jpg in each texture subfolder.View the thumbnail and see if it is a picture of the variation in question.Each variation will be listed in the aircraft.cfg file and in the [fltsim.?] section the associated texture will be named. Example:[fltsim.0]title=Airbus A321 Paint2sim=Airbus_A321model=panel=sound=texture=2kb_checklists=AirbusA321_checkkb_reference=AirbusA321_refatc_id=F-MSABatc_airline=World Travelatc_flight_number=ui_manufacturer="Airbus"ui_type="A321"ui_variation="World Travel Airlines"ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"This example means that the World Travel variation of the A321 Airbus uses the texture folder named texture.2 - and in that texture folder is a thumbnail.jpg of the World Travel aircraft.This may take a little time to check but it appears from your screen shot that at least a few have the wrong thumbnail association.

Since you said in another post that you installed the planes into incorrect folders,I would carefully look your planes over and make sure they are correctly installed.In FSX, Simobjects/Airplanes/"Airplane name" and within that folder, an aircraft.cfg file that lists the variations, starting with [fltsim.0] and so on.If you introduce an unexpected structure, FSX may just do something like you are experiencing.
I did not mean to imply that I installed in the wrong folder, what I meant to imply was that I figured out what I was doing after I made the other post. Thanks for all your guys help.bha19

Also look in each texture subfolder for aircraft you have installed.There should be a graphic file named thumbnail.jpg in each texture subfolder.View the thumbnail and see if it is a picture of the variation in question.Each variation will be listed in the aircraft.cfg file and in the [fltsim.?] section the associated texture will be named. Example:[fltsim.0]title=Airbus A321 Paint2sim=Airbus_A321model=panel=sound=texture=2kb_checklists=AirbusA321_checkkb_reference=AirbusA321_refatc_id=F-MSABatc_airline=World Travelatc_flight_number=ui_manufacturer="Airbus"ui_type="A321"ui_variation="World Travel Airlines"ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"This example means that the World Travel variation of the A321 Airbus uses the texture folder named texture.2 - and in that texture folder is a thumbnail.jpg of the World Travel aircraft.This may take a little time to check but it appears from your screen shot that at least a few have the wrong thumbnail association.
That fix the problem, I deleted the folders of the planes that did not have a thumbnail, which was 3 planes, and all is well. Thanks for all your help.

That fix the problem, I deleted the folders of the planes that did not have a thumbnail, which was 3 planes, and all is well. Thanks for all your help.
FYI - FSX is "supposed" to display a generic picture like the attached if there is no thumbnail.jpg in a texture file. The name of the aircraft would be different of course - the attached picture is just an example of what should be displayed if there is no associated thumbnail at all.Why it did not do that for you is still a mystery.