Sign in to follow this  
Swoop

Rwy12 and EZ Scenery Dups?

So last night I had the bright idea of installing all of the airports that I could find for Vancouver island. I waited for a couple of months to do this because many of us in the world were stalled by the Avsim library availability...sorry about that Tom!I began to install CYAZ - Tofino by Mr. Sidney Schwartz and found that there were no less then 33 libraries and textures folders to install if I wanted the airport to work as he envisioned it. I went through the list and installed everything as suggested and then did a search for duplicate files. Low and behold I found quite a few files with the same names and file dates in the RWY12 libraries.Now, I don't have all of my static object libraries in one scenery and texture folder. I had found that bitmaps were being replaced by incorrect ones. I guess I just don't like Mr. Orthmann's ships to have shipping containers that look like milk cartons. So my tendency is to separate as many libraries as possible and keep them separated if possible. My question of the hour is what to do. Sidney specifically asked for the libraries to be installed and it appears as if they've been transfered over to EZ Scenery from RWY12...(Is that possible)? As I said, I'd like to keep things as separated as possible but would enjoin in any good suggestions...(uh no long walks off of any short Woody's Piers if you wouldn't mind :)Mark

Not sure I understand you question exactly but the EZ Object Placer program and it's "big brother" Instant Scenery, can be used to place all of the FS default objects, all of the RWY12 objects and all of the EZ style library objects.I have all of the available libraries installed in just two scenery entries - Static Object Libraries and one I call EZ Scenery Libraries.There is no reason to have a multitude of individual scenery library entries for them.If I have misunderstood your question I hope you will clarify it for me.

Thanks Opa...I was kind of hoping you'd answer this one. I see your work every place I've been looking lately.So for instance, Sidney asked for GA Hangers by Stephen Legg. He provided a link to the Avsim library and I downloaded the file. The file's readme states that it is an EZ-Scenery library and yet I have a duplicate file with the same filename, date, and size in my RWY12 libraries also by Stephen. So me being me, I got confused.There are a number of them that are the same, stating EZ-Scenery as the platform and yet I have the same file in a fresh install of RWY12...what to do?MarkGA-Hangers_lib.bgl Avsim link from Sidney in the CYAZ Readme...http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...t&Go=Search

Mark,My approach to scenery object libraries is to give the Sidneys and the Woodys their own individual entry in the scenery library. I also have one labeled Misc for odds and ends.A couple reasons why.Makes updating easier. Mr.Schwartz has updated his textures at least twice and they were easy to find in my setup.I have ran across situations where different designers have used the same filename for textures that are different. If designer A has a concrete.bmp in the texture folder associated with the scenery folder containing his .bgl, my hope is his objects will display his texture and not designer B's concrete.bmp.BTW, one of my personal favorite scenery designers put out a handful of very nice freeware addons. I wanted to lump them all in one scenery library entry, but when I began looking at the textures, he had .bmps in different sceneries with the same filename that were not the same texture. To keep his designs true to his intentions I was forced to give them each their own scenery library entry.Having duplicates does no harm to the system or performance, just takes up disc space.I did go on a cleaning kick once and started deleting duplicate .bmps from different folders. Big mistake. FS started calling on scenery objects that did not have the .bmps in the texture folder associated with the scenery folder holding the object library. Started seeing un-textured objects all over the place and ended up having to re-install a bunch of libraries.Hopefully these ramblings will help you (and/or others) decide how you want to organize your files. Bottom line, there's more than one way to skin a cat so unless you experience problems, keep on truckin'.regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

We're definately close on that Joe. I keep all libraries separate unless they are from the same author with the same genre or the author has requested overwrites of existing textures or bgls (which gets dicey if everything is in one static library). For instance, this is how I've been handling things....I hope I don't get flamed too much!Mark[Area.069]Title=World Library - Len Hickman (Lens EZ Scenery)Local=G:\World Library\Len Hickman\Lens EZ Scenery[Area.070]Title=World Library - Len Hickman (Lens EZ Oil Drums)Local=G:\World Library\Len Hickman\Lens EZ Oil Drums[Area.071]Title=World Library - Len Hickman (Lens EZ Wilderness)Local=G:\World Library\Len Hickman\Lens EZ Wilderness

quoteHopefully these ramblings will help you (and/or others) decide how you want to organize your files. Bottom line, there's more than one way to skin a cat so unless you experience problems, keep on truckin'.end quoteAgreed - I just have never had the "missing" textures issue with the way I have my libraries installed - but whatever works for anyone is good advice.BTW - Updating Sydney's textures is a very wise thing to do - it does get rid of the "blurries" that some users were experiencing.Happy flying.

Thanks Opa...I was kind of hoping you'd answer this one. I see your work every place I've been looking lately.So for instance, Sidney asked for GA Hangers by Stephen Legg. He provided a link to the Avsim library and I downloaded the file. The file's readme states that it is an EZ-Scenery library and yet I have a duplicate file with the same filename, date, and size in my RWY12 libraries also by Stephen. So me being me, I got confused.There are a number of them that are the same, stating EZ-Scenery as the platform and yet I have the same file in a fresh install of RWY12...what to do?MarkGA-Hangers_lib.bgl Avsim link from Sidney in the CYAZ Readme...http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...t&Go=Search
If it was my system, if the filename, date and size are exactly the same I would only have one of them installed. Keep what you downloaded in a safe place for future reference if needed though.

We're definitely close on that Joe. [Area.069]Title=World Library - Len Hickman (Lens EZ Scenery)Local=G:\World Library\Len Hickman\Lens EZ Scenery[Area.070]Title=World Library - Len Hickman (Lens EZ Oil Drums)Local=G:\World Library\Len Hickman\Lens EZ Oil Drums[Area.071]Title=World Library - Len Hickman (Lens EZ Wilderness)Local=G:\World Library\Len Hickman\Lens EZ Wilderness
Close, I have all of Len's stuff in one folder and seperate from everybody else.
quoteAgreed - I just have never had the "missing" textures issue with the way I have my libraries installed
My problems with missing textures date back to before I had any file structure system and any understanding of how things work. My problems were 100% my fault.Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks Opa and Joe! Appreciate the help. Opa, I think I've got the message but...if Stephen has one library distributed via RWY12 and one in the EZ Scenery format, which one would you keep? Or are they both the same? I mean, that sounds like what you're eluding to :)Mark

One more thing I'd like to add here. I hope no one thinks that I'm complaining...I'm simply just trying to work through some issues, (personality non-withstanding), with EZ and RWY12.Just to set the record straight, I'm a huge fan of Sidney, John Loney, Opa, Seev, and the rest of the people that have done all of that labor of love in their wonderful sceneries. I don't think a day goes by where I'm not in awe of their work. I'm just trying to figure out how it all fits together!Mark

There are a number of them that are the same, stating EZ-Scenery as the platform and yet I have the same file in a fresh install of RWY12...what to do?
To answer your specific question (as I read it), the means by which the file is generated to use the library files is irrelevant, so a scenery file created using Rwy12 will indeed use the same library as one created using EZ Scenery or, indeed, any other such software.So you do not need more than one version of any library, despite many developers dumping duplicate versions upon you with their individual sceneries.John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Thanks Opa and Joe! Appreciate the help. Opa, I think I've got the message but...if Stephen has one library distributed via RWY12 and one in the EZ Scenery format, which one would you keep? Or are they both the same? I mean, that sounds like what you're eluding to :)Mark
Appreciate the kind words Swoop -Just a bit of background information which may help clarify a few things. I worked quite closely with the late Seev Kahn after the breakthrough RWY12 Object Placer program was first released.The program included a few "libraries" but it did not take long for other authors to create and upload other object libaries for use with the program. Soon there were 40 or more additional libraries available for separate download.The RWY12 team decided it would be wise to try to consolidate those additional libraries into one or more large download to make it easier for someone new to the program to have them - instead of having to hunt for them and download multiple files.We were able to get permission from all but one author to do this and the result was the three (still rather large) RWY12 library packages you can find at Avsim and other sites.rwy12_lib1_v1.2.zip - rwy12_lib2_v1.2.zip - rwy12_lib3_v1.2.zipSome authors still would release enhancements which would call for the user to download a specific library (most are still available individually). I am sure this was done to allow the user to DL only what was needed for that particular enhancement. Most did not make it clear that if you already had the library in question (perhaps from the three large packages) that it was not necessary to DL the individual library again.Hope that helps explain the situation a bit better. :(