Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

i7-975 at 4.011 GHz running F1 Citation Mustang

I picked up Flight 1's Citation Mustang a few days ago, and have had a chance to 'try er out'.Very nice!I found that when running it, I needed to bump up my i7-975 to 30x133.7 for a running at 4.011 GHz, when needed. Because of this, I didn't need to 'dummy down' any of my personal settings, pre Mustang.In running with my TURBO mode, C-State, and Speed Stepping enabled, I run at:Core 0 64 CCore 1 55 C Core 2 53 C Core 3 54 C....which is well under the 100 C max for the chip. This is of course at a sustained 4.011 GHz. In TURBO MODE, it never stays at just one speed, but drops the BIN anywhere from 30 down to as low as 17 when under FSX. With my rig at a potential ceiling of 4.011 GHz when needed by FSX, I am easily getting 35-55 FPS when flying the Flight 1, Citation Mustang LBJ. I will tell ya though...this thing needs CPU HORSEPOWER! When I was just at my 3.609 GHz, it easily sucked 10 FPS right off the top. I gained all back, actually even into the plus side when having gone to a ceiling of 4.011 GHz.The i7-975 is a great chip...and easily running at slightly over 4 GHz on air as per the above core temps at 4.011 GHzNow...just enjoying the learning curve on all the features and systems. I can easily see this plane becoming my favorite! Beautifully done, inside and out.

Nice to see someone is having fun with FSX. My 965 is running at 4.004 on air and FSX breezes along.You might want to check into the AffinityMask settings ... I am currently using 15.In the FSX.cfg add the following if it is not already there[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=3use these settings for N as you test and you must EXIT the sim and relaunch between changes255 - all 8 in use254 - 7 in use with the first remaining free252 - 6 in use with the first entire CORE remaining free127 - 7 in use with the last remaining free 63 - 6 in use with the last entire CORE remaining free 1 = 1 core 0001 3 = 2 cores 0011 7 = 3 cores 011112 = 2 cores last 110014 = 3 cores last 111015 = 4 cores 1111

....which is well under the 100 C max for the chip.
I think you're aware that FSX should never run at more than 75-80C if you want to keep your CPU safe for some more next months.100C should never been reached, never! :(

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I think you're aware that FSX should never run at more than 75-80C if you want to keep your CPU safe for some more next months.100C should never been reached, never! :(
Oh yeah...that's for sure. When the TURBO kicks it up to 4.011 GHz...I am running at 64C or less on the cores.That's with everything cranked the way I like it. :)

:(

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Nice to see someone is having fun with FSX. My 965 is running at 4.004 on air and FSX breezes along.You might want to check into the AffinityMask settings ... I am currently using 15.In the FSX.cfg add the following if it is not already there[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=3use these settings for N as you test and you must EXIT the sim and relaunch between changes255 - all 8 in use254 - 7 in use with the first remaining free252 - 6 in use with the first entire CORE remaining free127 - 7 in use with the last remaining free63 - 6 in use with the last entire CORE remaining free1 = 1 core 00013 = 2 cores 00117 = 3 cores 011112 = 2 cores last 110014 = 3 cores last 111015 = 4 cores 1111
-------------------------------------Thanks, I'll check into the above. I have had FSX in a window mode...with CPUID and CORE TEMP running alongside it. On the mean average, I am running around 54-56 C. When using the Mustang, it can climb to 64 at peaks...Depending on what I am viewing in the cockpit, or the body of the aircraft...but then heads right back down.If I use FSX stock aircraft, I'm in the high 40's to low 50's C.At idle, on the Desktop, I'm running 38C, and usually just that for Apps.

Guest j0nx
-------------------------------------Thanks, I'll check into the above. I have had FSX in a window mode...with CPUID and CORE TEMP running alongside it. On the mean average, I am running around 54-56 C. When using the Mustang, it can climb to 64 at peaks...Depending on what I am viewing in the cockpit, or the body of the aircraft...but then heads right back down.If I use FSX stock aircraft, I'm in the high 40's to low 50's C.At idle, on the Desktop, I'm running 38C, and usually just that for Apps.
You'll get much smoother performance by disabling turbo and just upping your blk to take you to 4ghz natively on all cores. I also highly recommend disabling HT in the BIOS if you aren't using it. By doing those 2 things alone I picked up about 5fps at o'hare under heavy AI load and much smoother performance with little to no popping. HT was killing my frame rate in my toehr games as well. Just for giggles I did some research on it and HT was causing issues for a lot of other folks too. Since this is primarily a game machine I decided to just try it and low and behold it cured a lot of the stuttering I was getting in cod4 and codwaw. I idle at 39c now and under fsx load hit mid 50's. Under p95 or IBT stress testing my cores hit high 60's and I am at 4ghz as well.BTW, a few months back I looked into that affinity 15 thing and from everything I read you will be hurting performance by doing that. Some smart cpu guy came into the thread and was explaining why that was but honestly I can't recall other than the fact he said don't do it.

BTW, a few months back I looked into that affinity 15 thing and from everything I read you will be hurting performance by doing that. Some smart cpu guy came into the thread and was explaining why that was but honestly I can't recall other than the fact he said don't do it.
That "smart CPU guy" was probably NickN, and he has a tutorial for setting up FSX using different CPU and Operating System configurations. This is the link to it....http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041...and should be bookmarked by anyone wishing to set up a computer for FSX (he updates the contents of the post to keep up with new hardware, etc).Scroll down about one-third of the way in the first post to the "Affinity Mask" section for an explanation of why the Affinity 15 setting is useless on an i7.Rick

Rick Ryan

Guest j0nx

No it wasn't Nick, haha I know about him. It was some guy that works with cpus in a design capacity of some sort. It was on a different forum.

Oh yeah...that's for sure. When the TURBO kicks it up to 4.011 GHz...I am running at 64C or less on the cores.That's with everything cranked the way I like it. :)
I am running around 49c - 51c. I have the Thermalright 1366 cooler, http://www.crazypc.com/products/ultra-120-1366-50985.html, with a 2,000 rpm fan.
That "smart CPU guy" was probably NickN, and he has a tutorial for setting up FSX using different CPU and Operating System configurations. This is the link to it....http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041...and should be bookmarked by anyone wishing to set up a computer for FSX (he updates the contents of the post to keep up with new hardware, etc).Scroll down about one-third of the way in the first post to the "Affinity Mask" section for an explanation of why the Affinity 15 setting is useless on an i7.Rick
I believe he stated "i7.. Do not bother setting more than a 4 core affinity mask". 15 = 4 cores = 1111
On my junk I noticed that COD4 raises the CPU temperature more than FSX.