Sign in to follow this  
MadSci

iFly 747 Freezing

To Everyone:Well, there's already a topic on this over in the unofficial iFly support forum, but as I've done the majority of the posting in it and there isn't much activity at all over there, I thought I'd post this here as well. Basically, after updating my terminal procedures to the 0908 cycle from Terry's website, my entire FS began to freeze whenever I clicked the DEP/ARR button in the iFly 747. To exit the sim required the use of the CTRL-ALT-DELETE method. After some serious seaching, I found an installer for the 0809 cycle on my hard drive, and reinstalled these procedures. It worked fine with these older procedures for a few weeks, and I figured it might just have been something about the 0908 files that was causing the iFly to freeze. However, after downloading and installing the 0909 cycle, the same problem began to occur again. For now, I have rolled back my procedures to the 0809 cycle and it's working, but I would certainly like to have the latest procedures, if possible.I am about 99.99% sure that it's the procedures, and not some external factor, that's causing the problem, because, with either 0908 or 0909 installed, if I click on the DER/ARR button prior to selecting either a departure or arrival airport, the sim does not freeze. The FMC simply shows a blank DEP/ARR screen, with only the page title at the top. However, as soon as either a departure or arrival airport has been selected - it doesn't matter what airport is selected; anything from KEGE to EGLL will do it - the sim freezes upon clicking the DEP/ARR button. This would seem to indicate that the iFly 747 is having trouble loading the procedures because they're either in the wrong format or just plain corrupt. Unfortunately, however, as I know almost nothing about writing terminal procedures, I can't determine what the cause is from just looking at the files in the SID and STAR folders in the iFly's navdata folder.Any assistance is, of course, much appreciated!

Guest staang

Hi Brian,I am trying to work on this but I can't get either of my versions of iFly 747 to even set the pos init page. Keep getting a not in database error at the pos init page when I enter an airport. And this is from a fresh install without loading any terminal procedures. Once I get the FMC going I'll be able to proceed about your problem.RegardsTerry

Terry,Thanks for replying; I certainly understand any problems with getting the iFly to work correctly in the first place, as it took me a while to get it working when I first installed it. Anyway, thanks for looking into the matter!

Guest chrisparypa

Looks like im not the only one :))) Please guys fix it... give us some solution...

Guest DVA_747_CP

After several hours of trouble shooting I have found the problem. The KSLC.sid and/or KSLC.sidtrs have an error. I have not found the specific error yet but have proven the presence of these files induces the lock up condition. I don't know how far back the problem exists since I this is the first AIRAC cycle I have used.Solution(s):1. Remove these two files from the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\iFly\747-400\navdata\SIDS folder. Result. Operational aircraft but no KSLC sids.2. Replace the two files with an older version known to work. Result: Operation aircraft but outdated KSLC sids.If and when I find a final fix, I'll post again.Good Luckvisit Delta Virtual Airlines @ http://www.deltava.org

Thanks so much for the temporary fix - it seems to be working fine on my machine. If it helps, the cycle from Septmeber 2008 does not have the problem..

Guest staang

Hi Guys,I finally can announce some progress on the terminal procedures problem. A few months ago I switched to visual basic 2008. VB 2008 required conversion of my VB 6 program I use for making the iFly procedures. Unfortunately, even though no errors were shown during the automatic conversion and the program ran, it created some errors in the form of extra spaces where they shouldn't be and missing commas in the procedures. I think I have that fixed but again unfortunately, I still can't get my iFly 747 FMC to work even with the default iFly procedures. So, I at least for now can't test the corrected procedures but I have put them up on my site. Please give them a test and see if they work now and let me know.ThanksTerry

Hi Terry,Preliminary testing (consisting of testing the FMC with a bunch of different airports in the DEP and ARR fields, but not actually flying any routes) seems to indicate that the procedures are working fine. When I have some more time for flying - probably this weekend, but there's no guarantee of that - I'll let you know whether the aircraft is interpreting the procedures correctly. In the meantime, thank you so much for all your hard work on the problem!

Guest staang

Hi Brian,Thanks for the report. I'm happy to hear that at least initially they seem to work.RegardsTerry