Sign in to follow this  
janjansen

FSX crashes when flying in the night

Maybe somebody could help me out, when I have to setup FSX and the addons fresh again to find out what is causing the troubles I would be gone mad....................The problem:By coincidence (mostly flying by daylight) I find out that, doesn't matter what kind of plane or scenery, FSX is crashing after an couple of minutes when flying in the dark.Daylight NO problems!It is an complete (system) crash and I know that the result is an overload of the system or you could say that the computer can't produce the scenery. As an example: the same occurs when you will set the clouds to heavy which is an common problem with FSX, but can't set the sliders more to the left......................Have tried every setup you can imagine.Have tried several vga drivers, at the moment 178.24My specs:QX9770Striker 2 ExtremeMemory 2 x 2GB Buffalo 1800mhz 2 x 8800 gt's in sliHighpoint Rocketraid 17404 x 500GB hdd's in raid 5PSU 1100 watts Vista Ultimate X64System tested with Linpack and Prime95, no errors.Some software:FSX accelleration packUTXFSGX

I would seem to me to be graphics related.Test your graphics system.Load a flight at say 6:00 PM set cruiise control.. up time scale to x4 or so and wait.. see if it crashes just flying.

I think it could be corrupted night-texture file. Try different part of the world, try flying over the big waters and let us know if it still occurs.

I would seem to me to be graphics related.Test your graphics system.Load a flight at say 6:00 PM set cruiise control.. up time scale to x4 or so and wait.. see if it crashes just flying.
graphics is okay, tested with ALL Futuremarks products.
I think it could be corrupted night-texture file. Try different part of the world, try flying over the big waters and let us know if it still occurs.
Thats an good one, never thought about it.and.... who conserves something has profit of it, has saved the original textures!will come back to you

Guest firehawk44

Nighttime flying consumes the most CPU resources. I'm afraid you'll have to turn some of your eye-candy off or turn it down when flying at dawn, dusk, or nighttime (you can setup a FSX.cfg just for flying at night). It could be a system problem too. In addition to other comments, have you check the Event Viewer for any error message event description that might give you a clue as to what happened at the time of the crash? Sometimes the event viewer shows an offending .dll or .exe file that caused the problem. If the file was related to your video drivers, then that will of course help you resolve the problem. Also make sure your memory modules are all working. There are a lot of posts here of individuals having memory going bad on them. If you have overclocked anything, you might want to bring it back a couple of notches and see if that resolves the problem. A lot of people have overclocked too much causing CTD's.Best regards,Jim Young

Listen to Jim Young's adivce on relaxing your overclock. I can crank up my memory and CPU timings from where they are at present and run Prime95, OCCT, Linepack and Memtest all day without any errors. Trying to run FSX at the same settings will result in all sorts of crashes and hangs.The bottom line is that no stressing utility is going to put a strain on your system as FSX will.

Has throwed the Strike 2 Extreme out of the window.It's an board with an lot of potential but.................. yeah, an lot of potential downwards :( Trying an X48C now with an simple X1950XT card and - could raise the CPU to 4000mhz- very acceptable flying!The S2E is one of the baddest boards I have ever seen, its only usefull for overclocking and NOT for common use!!Have tried it for 3/4 year now and have had it!All thanks for the reply's.

Guest rdg

Hi,I have a striker 2 formula and it it is anything like the extreme, then I can assure you that you will have problems with something other than a mild OC. I had my QX9650 to 3.75 and all the OC utilities passed with flying colors, but FSX did not.Most of my issues were with the Northbridge, mem timing and mem voltage. I have now settled down to a 3.5 OC with relaxed mem timings and less voltage to the NB and things are running much cooler. I messed with this board for a month. I spoke with Nick N about it and he said straight out "Get rid of that board". He gave me a list of boards that will OC very easily with the QX series quads. He told me I would be messing with it for months trying to get stable into the 3.6 and above. Although I still have the board I have had to just settle for a little less of an OC.Bob