Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Arghh, TrackIR4 PRO no longer works....!

I have a DELL XPS Gen 4 that runs FS2004 (under Windows XP) and a huge number of hardware peripherals including GoFlight, CH, etc. Recently I took out my Track IR4 PRO gear and plugged it into the XPS via a USB hub and then a USB 2.0 port and nothing happened. I got repeated messages saying "Unknown Device."I then plugged the Track IR device into my DELL laptop (running VISTA) and it worked there using the Track IR 5 software. I then installed the same Track IR 5 software on the XPS and nada, zip, nothing. Still got "unknown device" all the time.I don't know why this is happening--and nor does Natural Point because they've been unable to help me with this issue. I haven't changed any drivers, bios, chipset, UBS drivers, etc. on the XPS at all--now or ever before. Never.And yet suddenly the Track IR4 PRO no longer works because it is not recognized.Can anybody assist? Thanks!JS

Guest 747-fan

Tried it directly plugged into the back panel USB and not in the front or through a hub? I've got tIR4 w/tIR5 software on an XPS 420. Works fine both on Vista and now also on win7.

Try to disconnect ALL USB devices besides TrackIR and reboot (not from sleep or hibernate). Check then. I had the same issue some time ago (I also have plenty of hardware stuff). Also, You can close the TrackIR app, plug the device to different USB port when running OS and launch the app again.TrackIR is very reliable thing and 'Unknown Device' is usually connected with underpowered USB plugs.

Try to disconnect ALL USB devices besides TrackIR and reboot (not from sleep or hibernate). Check then. I had the same issue some time ago (I also have plenty of hardware stuff). Also, You can close the TrackIR app, plug the device to different USB port when running OS and launch the app again.TrackIR is very reliable thing and 'Unknown Device' is usually connected with underpowered USB plugs.
Ooh, boy, I have about 20 USB devices for FS2004 ! I don't think I want to disconnect everything.What is an' underpowered' USB plug?JS

Ooh, boy, I have about 20 USB devices for FS2004 ! I don't think I want to disconnect everything.What is an' underpowered' USB plug?JS
Each USB port has a certain amount of power available. Plug in more units than there is power and you have an underpoweredplug and a problem. Just like plugging in too many elecgtrical appliances into one curcuit except in the house, you bloow a fuse , in the computer - the hardware doesnot work.Powered hubs might help. Try unplugging 3 or 4 items and plug the ** into one of the same ports.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I believe it was recommended by the company to have TrackIR go directly into the comptuer instead of any USB Hubs, for the reasons already mentioned. Possibly try to rearrange your connections so you can plug in some of the lower powered items into the hub...Although with some many things plugged in, all the usb ports may be underpowered.

I believe it was recommended by the company to have TrackIR go directly into the comptuer instead of any USB Hubs, for the reasons already mentioned. Possibly try to rearrange your connections so you can plug in some of the lower powered items into the hub...Although with some many things plugged in, all the usb ports may be underpowered.
Sorry, but none of this makes sense to me. Track IR used to work perfectly well in my system until 6 months ago when I stopped using it for a while. Nothing on my system has changed since then. I run about 20 add-ons such as GoFlight hardware, CH hardware, and so on. I have USB hubs and USB ports on the XPS. Track IR used to work in a USB hub or in a USB port in the XPS. Now it doesn't work at all on the XPS. So what has happened if my XPS is the same and if all else still works and runs normally? It's even more bizarre that the Track IR works on my small DELL Inspiron laptop ! JS

Sorry, but none of this makes sense to me.
Why not trying the solutions which we provided for You?Do You expect us to replace the device or what? I cannot get Your point. Unplug and give it a try!

Why not trying the solutions which we provided for You?Do You expect us to replace the device or what? I cannot get Your point. Unplug and give it a try!
Yeah, you are right BartEnder. I shall look again and see if I dare unplug everything to test things further.Thanks.JS