Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

How do you guys do it?

I, like many of my fellow simmers have enjoyed your products among many others and I have taken for granted the amount of work that goes into producing stunning visuals in the flight sim world.To put things into context, for example, could you describe the amount of coding that goes into making a flap extend, and what kind of programming language is it that developers use?Thanks and keep up the great work,

\Robert Hamlich/

Robert, I am gong to go out on a limb here and say that there is no way that PMDG will entertain such a thread....as internal business is NEVER discussed. -sorry Peter Osborn

Peter Osborn

and what kind of programming language is it that developers use?
C++

C++ (Visual Studio 2008 specifically) for most of the custom programmed stuff.Something like making a flap extend isn't all that difficult, it's the systems where we have to do a bunch of mathematical modeling that end up being crazy.If I recall correctly, the FMS in the MD-11 has something like 100,000 lines of code in it. The Autopilot/Flight Director System and the Engine modeling are also very complicated.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan, interesting facts...but to dummies like me, a line of code doesnt mean much, perhaps you could give an example of what exactly a line of code would look like.-thanksPeter

Peter Osborn

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Thats crazy. I dont know C++ but I do know a couple programming languages and I cant imagine working on something that huge. Thats why they make the big bucks :)Noah B.

Noah Bryant

Exactly, and one line of code isnt independant. Line 33,409 may have relation to 4,000 other lines of code. So you need to project relation before you ever get to that point. It can be very complex. Which is why developers usually only work on one project at a time. And those that can work on many at a time are few and indispensable assest to the company.

Guest Callmecapt

It's not really that hard. A little reading can get you started on an add on. The hard part is having the patience and thick skin to work on something or a section for days, sometimes weeks, then finding out you went wrong somewhere and it's better to just delete all that work and start again rather than trying to fix it.Believe me, I know!And it's finally nearly finished!Goran

Putting code here wouldn't tell you much - basically what you need to know is that the code is a way of specifiying the logical "constructs" if you will that make the systems of the plane work. A very very simple example would be (and this isn't actual code, it's just a description of what happens), "IF flap handle position= greater than 0, THEN display flap position on the EICAS." Programming is done in this way - everything is equations, logic statements etc. It gets extremely complicated when you're doing things like the ND magenta line drawing, VNAV etc...Btw, Henning just told me that the J41 has over 50,000 lines of custom XML code that drives the VC. XML is the other method besides the C++ stuff that I was forgetting about.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Putting code here wouldn't tell you much - basically what you need to know is that the code is a way of specifiying the logical "constructs" if you will that make the systems of the plane work. A very very simple example would be (and this isn't actual code, it's just a description of what happens), "IF flap handle position= greater than 0, THEN display flap position on the EICAS." Programming is done in this way - everything is equations, logic statements etc. It gets extremely complicated when you're doing things like the ND magenta line drawing, VNAV etc...Btw, Henning just told me that the J41 has over 50,000 lines of custom XML code that drives the VC. XML is the other method besides the C++ stuff that I was forgetting about.
Ryan,With this simple example, may I ask if following will be a possible code for the MD11."IF AP/FD mode = GO-AROUND, THENIF Flaps <31.5, skip GPWS 'TOO LOW FLAPS', ELSE IFIF Gear selected UP, skip GPWS 'TOO LOW GEAR', ELSE IFIF FLaps <31.5 AND Gear selected up, skip GPWS 'TOO LOW TERRAIN'END IF"This one is nested and not correct of course, I'm not a programmer, but any other possible code C++ or XML will do.Would be happy not to hear these warnings where not appropriate. :( Regards,Harry

As long as you have positive rate of climb, then pull the flaps up before the gear, you shouldn't hear anything at all.Remember:* TOGA* POSITIVE RATE* FLAPS - select 15

As long as you have positive rate of climb, then pull the flaps up before the gear, you shouldn't hear anything at all.Remember:* TOGA* POSITIVE RATE* FLAPS - select 15

Harry,Being a real MD-11 driver you probably know exactly what you want however not being a programmer you may not realizethat ELSE-IFs above are dangerous and may prevent you from getting what you want. My hunch is that this should be rewritten like this:IF AP/FD mode = GO-AROUND, THENIF Flaps <31.5, skip GPWS 'TOO LOW FLAPS', ENDIFIF Gear selected UP, skip GPWS 'TOO LOW GEAR', ENDIFIF FLaps <31.5 AND Gear selected up, skip GPWS 'TOO LOW TERRAIN' ENDIFENDIFOtherwise (in your version) if Flaps were less than 31.5 you would never reach the last IF test.Best Regards,

Harry,Being a real MD-11 driver you probably know exactly what you want however not being a programmer you may not realizethat ELSE-IFs above are dangerous and may prevent you from getting what you want. My hunch is that this should be rewritten like this:IF AP/FD mode = GO-AROUND, THENIF Flaps <31.5, skip GPWS 'TOO LOW FLAPS', ENDIFIF Gear selected UP, skip GPWS 'TOO LOW GEAR', ENDIFIF FLaps <31.5 AND Gear selected up, skip GPWS 'TOO LOW TERRAIN' ENDIFENDIFOtherwise (in your version) if Flaps were less than 31.5 you would never reach the last IF test.Best Regards,
Michael,Thanks for the correction, looks more logic now.Point is that I'am not happy with the calls and the alternating FMA indications, when executing a Go-Around procedure 'according the books'.So any code that is able to correct this would be highly appreciated.Regards,Harry