Sign in to follow this  
ndflieger

Text window display problem

Greetings!I've been using RC v4.3 for quite some time now and haven't had any problems until this week. I'm running FS9 on a WinXP machine.For some reason, the text display window has quit working properly :( What is happening is that I can bring it up with a keyboard command, but can only close it by clicking on "X" in the upper right-hand corner of the window. This only is good for a few seconds and the window will pop up on it's own without any action on my part. So I have to keep clicking on it to close it...most annoying after a short period of time :( Prior to this I could open and close it with the keyboard command...and it would stay closed.I've tried different keyboard assignments for the window, and installing the latest version of FSUIPC (v3.93, the payware version), all to no avail.The only change to my FS9 set up would have been upgrading from ActiveSky v6.5 to ActiveSkyAdvanced (ASA). I don't think this is the problem as I made 2 or 3 flights with RC/ASA before it started to happen.Any suggestions? Or is an un-install/re-install of RC going to be necessay?Cheers,Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Greetings!I've been using RC v4.3 for quite some time now and haven't had any problems until this week. I'm running FS9 on a WinXP machine.For some reason, the text display window has quit working properly :( What is happening is that I can bring it up with a keyboard command, but can only close it by clicking on "X" in the upper right-hand corner of the window. This only is good for a few seconds and the window will pop up on it's own without any action on my part. So I have to keep clicking on it to close it...most annoying after a short period of time :( Prior to this I could open and close it with the keyboard command...and it would stay closed.I've tried different keyboard assignments for the window, and installing the latest version of FSUIPC (v3.93, the payware version), all to no avail.The only change to my FS9 set up would have been upgrading from ActiveSky v6.5 to ActiveSkyAdvanced (ASA). I don't think this is the problem as I made 2 or 3 flights with RC/ASA before it started to happen.Any suggestions? Or is an un-install/re-install of RC going to be necessay?Cheers,Scott
delete advdisplay.dll from the \modules directory.configure fsuipc to display menus, as detailed in the quick start section of the manual, www.jdtllc.com/v4/rcv43.pdfjd

Hi JD,Thanks for the reply. However, I had removed the adv.dll after installation of RC4.3 and configured FSUIPC as per the instructions in the RC manual (yes, I did read it).I had been using RC 4.3 for several months without any problems. What I'm describing only began early this week.Any other ideas?Cheers,Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

I don't have ASA but earlier versions. If it calls up the FSUIPC menu that might be something. The earlier versions had the optional feature to broadcast "Flightwatch" on comms 122.0 I believe. If ASA offers to display the METARS as you cross different weather reporting stations perhaps this can be a conflict.The FSUIPC window will automatically open from hiding whenever it receives messages from applications using it. Therefore if RC calls to you requiring a menu response it will pop up. I'd have to check. You can also try setting in RC the option to display text off and see what happens. You can if you don't mind suppressing the next waypoint information (name/heading/distance) in the RC options check IFR Training to reduce the number of times RC writes to the FSUIPC window.

I don't have ASA but earlier versions. If it calls up the FSUIPC menu that might be something. The earlier versions had the optional feature to broadcast "Flightwatch" on comms 122.0 I believe. If ASA offers to display the METARS as you cross different weather reporting stations perhaps this can be a conflict.The FSUIPC window will automatically open from hiding whenever it receives messages from applications using it. Therefore if RC calls to you requiring a menu response it will pop up. I'd have to check. You can also try setting in RC the option to display text off and see what happens. You can if you don't mind suppressing the next waypoint information (name/heading/distance) in the RC options check IFR Training to reduce the number of times RC writes to the FSUIPC window.
Hi Ron,I'll try those things you mentioned. What is annoying about the window pop up is that it pops up when there is no need for input from my part. Also I can't open/close the window with a keyboard command like I was able to in the past. I just looked at my RC options and display text option is unchecked...so guess that's not causing it. I just checked the IFR Training Flight box so we'll see what happens when I fly later tonight.I am not getting any ASA wx info in the display window...only the RC menu items.Cheers,Scott

Scott Cebula

Nope, no luck. Taxiing out of KORD right now. Keyboard command will not close the window, have to click on the "X" in the corner to close it. Keyboard will only bring up the window. After closing the window pops right back up even though no response is required from me.What I can't figure out is why this is suddenly happening after months of not having any problems. Getting quite frustrtated.Is an un-install/re-install about my only option here?Cheers,Scott

Scott Cebula

I use ctrl-x to hide the RC window. In the General section add:AdvDisplayHotKey=88,10to do it with this combination even though AdvDisplay.dll is no longer used. That command still works. Back up FSUIPC.ini before you edit it.

Our paths crossed here :). You can also if you don't mind shut down FS9 ATC by adding this command to the General section of FSUIPC.ini just to reduce conflict chances:RemoveATC=YesI use AS 6.5 and am not having the problems you describe. I am using FSUIPC 3.90. When I taxi-out I close the RC window although now since it is transparent it is not as bothersome. I do not recall it popping up unless I get a command.What happens if you do not run ASA?

I use ctrl-x to hide the RC window. In the General section add:AdvDisplayHotKey=88,10to do it with this combination even though AdvDisplay.dll is no longer used. That command still works. Back up FSUIPC.ini before you edit it.
Thanks Ron, I will give that a try. Even though I have the IFR training flight box checked and the display text un-checked, the direction/distance to the runway I'm headed for are still showing up in the box. I had done this, closed RC and then re-started FS9.Cheers,Scott

Scott Cebula

OK, it just keeps getting more and more strange.I aborted my flight. Closed RC. Edited the FSUIPC ini file as per Ron's suggestion. Also started RC and checked/entered the appropriate boxes in the RC keyboard menu to coincide with the keyboard settings entered into the FSUIPC ini. Closed RC. Restarted ASA/FS9/FSairlines/RC in that (my usual) order.Initally on the ground I was elated! I could open & close the Message Display window via the keyboard command at will - whether I had need for it or not...and the window was not popping up every few seconds on it's own :-)Now after takeoff and in the climbout phase, the keyboard command will not bring up the message window at all (but at least it's not popping up every few seconds like before). So, I cannot access any of the commands for altitude changes, leave for wx, etc... :( Cheers,Scott

Scott Cebula

Latest update:Now the message display box is working again climbing through 10,000'.....Guess I'll have to just see what happens during the rest of the course of the flight....Cheers,ScottP.S., I really appreciate the suggestions and help!

Scott Cebula