Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

Best screen resolution?

Just wondering what the best screen resolution for Flight Simulator might be...I've tried both 800x600x32 and 1024x762x32 on my 19 inch monitor and, aside from the size of menu bar (flight, aircraft, world, etc.), really can't see any difference between the two. Not in the exterior views of aircraft, ground scenery, clouds, instrument panels, etc.Am I going blind or something? The tiny size of the menu bar fonts and in the screens of the menu items are somewhat difficult for me to read so I prefer a 800x600x32 resolution. Still, I'm wondering if I'm using the best resolution...I was also wondering if I should be using the antilaising (sp?) in the FS settings/display screen or set it via my Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card?

Normally it would be best to run it in the monitor's native resolution. That will give you the clearest image.AA is set active in FS, but AF is done via Nhancer (check this forum on Nhancer postings) for the best settings.

Guest belga1

Hello,

AA is set active in FS, but AF is done via Nhancer (check this forum on Nhancer postings) for the best settings.
Better set AA (Antialiasing filter) using the graphic card AA instead in the game settings.What is AF ?Regards.bye.gifGus.

What is AF ?
Apart from Air France and Air Force, I guess it's anisotropic filtering.

Guest belga1

Hello,

Apart from Air France and Air Force, I guess it's anisotropic filtering.
Those acronysms caught me many time clever-man2.gifSo for "AF" I suggest "4" Regards.bye.gifGus.

If I may, also remember that the screen resolution settings in FS only affect the Full Screen mode. If you fly in Windowed mode those settings have no effect. FS will display at your monitors resolution.Hope this helps,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I'm guessing you're running CRT type monitor. I that case you should just run the highest resolution it can support, as long as your computer can handle it. And depending on the graphic settings, you may not notice a difference, but if you have them cranked up, it should def be noticeable. I'm running 1440x900 on a widescreen LCD but many many people are running might higher resolution on larger screens.

Guest RonB49
Just wondering what the best screen resolution for Flight Simulator might be...I've tried both 800x600x32 and 1024x762x32 on my 19 inch monitor and, aside from the size of menu bar (flight, aircraft, world, etc.), really can't see any difference between the two. Not in the exterior views of aircraft, ground scenery, clouds, instrument panels, etc.Am I going blind or something? The tiny size of the menu bar fonts and in the screens of the menu items are somewhat difficult for me to read so I prefer a 800x600x32 resolution. Still, I'm wondering if I'm using the best resolution...I was also wondering if I should be using the antilaising (sp?) in the FS settings/display screen or set it via my Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card?
Hi Scott,I ran at 800x600x32 for a long time and was happy using the default instrument panels. Then I discovered third party panels and even started designing my own. At some point, I was forced to up the resolution to 1024x768 because some panels had such fine details that they blurred on lower settings. Many panels nowadays are designed for even higher resolutions but usually 1024x768 still works OK.R-

Dunno whether yours is a CRT or a TFT/LCD monitor. Mine is a TFT 19" and running at its native resolution (1280x1024) have no problems to read the items in the menu bar, and my eyes are not so good as they used to be when I was younger... And I need no AA nor AF nor anything else to enhance the legibility of them. If it's a TFT as a fellow said before I'd go for its native resolution: it renders the most clear images. Not sure now if at greater resolutions FS9 scales the fonts though.

Normally it would be best to run it in the monitor's native resolution. That will give you the clearest image.Thanks, Eric!My monitor's native resolution is 1280x1024 which would be even worse than 1024x762. The font size at 1280x1024 is downright microscopic! Besides, I honestly can't see that 1024x762 is any clearer than 800x600. I have my doubts that 1280x1024 would be an improvement...Scott

If I may, also remember that the screen resolution settings in FS only affect the Full Screen mode. If you fly in Windowed mode those settings have no effect. FS will display at your monitors resolution.Hope this helps,Joe
Every little bit does! Thanks, Joe!Scott

I'm guessing you're running CRT type monitor. I that case you should just run the highest resolution it can support, as long as your computer can handle it. And depending on the graphic settings, you may not notice a difference, but if you have them cranked up, it should def be noticeable. I'm running 1440x900 on a widescreen LCD but many many people are running might higher resolution on larger screens.
Actually, it is a Viewsonic VA926 (model #11962) TFT/LCD monitor running at a refresh rate of 60 Hertz (it can go up to 75). According to it's specs it's max resolution is 1280x1024, but 1024x762 seems to be the max my eyes will tolerate (G)! I guess I'll switch to that setting but it might take a while for my eyes to adjust....Scott

Guest Rob3578

I run mine @1680x1050 on my monitor,1920x1200 on my lcd tv.Looks fine either way.

Hi Scott,I ran at 800x600x32 for a long time and was happy using the default instrument panels. Then I discovered third party panels and even started designing my own. At some point, I was forced to up the resolution to 1024x768 because some panels had such fine details that they blurred on lower settings. Many panels nowadays are designed for even higher resolutions but usually 1024x768 still works OK.R-
I guess I'll be switching to 1024x762 then. That seems to be the minimum the consensus is recommending (and the max my monitor is designed for anyway). Another reason I was still using 800x600 is that at one point when I selected a Project Fokker 100 or 70 FS would crash on me if I had the screen resolution set any hight than 800x600. However, I tried doing this a day or two ago and FS didn't crash on me like before. I had upgraded from a GeForce 5500 card since then so perhaps switching to the 6200 resolved that issue....Scott

Dunno whether yours is a CRT or a TFT/LCD monitor. Mine is a TFT 19" and running at its native resolution (1280x1024) have no problems to read the items in the menu bar, and my eyes are not so good as they used to be when I was younger... And I need no AA nor AF nor anything else to enhance the legibility of them. If it's a TFT as a fellow said before I'd go for its native resolution: it renders the most clear images. Not sure now if at greater resolutions FS9 scales the fonts though.
My monitor is the same as yours. I'm going to try running it at 1024x762 for a while I guess. I think 1280x1024 would be more than my eyes could take for very long...I'm going to try running AA and AF through the GeForce too using 4x and 8x settings (recommended for use with the MegaScenery addons)...I've had several freeze ups and a CTD or two of late which I hope these changes will end as well)!