Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

Best screen resolution?

Hey Scott, when you say it's all your eyes can tolerate you mean that the fonts are really small? I run in 1920x1200 on a 24" monitor and they are really tiny when using the default font size. So I normally run my system using an over sized font setting of 125%. All of the normal Window's programs run fine and you can actually read dialogs and folder names.The downside is that there are a number of FS9 software packages out there that don't bother to look at system metrics when displaying dialogs. For instance, if I run an over sized font and then install something like MegaScenery, you cannot see the bottom of the dialog because their programmers didn't check my font size metric before creating their dialog windows. They based it on the default Window's system metric which they probably hard coded into the app...duh. So the work around for the lazy programming technique is to simply change the font back to the default size when using an application that doesn't check the current Window's system metric.But if that wasn't what you're talking about...never mind!Mark

Just wondering what the best screen resolution for Flight Simulator might be...I've tried both 800x600x32 and 1024x762x32 on my 19 inch monitor and, aside from the size of menu bar (flight, aircraft, world, etc.), really can't see any difference between the two. Not in the exterior views of aircraft, ground scenery, clouds, instrument panels, etc.Am I going blind or something? The tiny size of the menu bar fonts and in the screens of the menu items are somewhat difficult for me to read so I prefer a 800x600x32 resolution. Still, I'm wondering if I'm using the best resolution......
We're all getting old. :( and need glasses. lolOn my desktop in the States I would run at 1680x1050-32 or 1280x768-32 (I think that is right) in the 16:10 ratio. I like the lower resolution for the slightly improved performance at times, but prefer the 1680 resolution.On my laptop I run in windowed mode at 800x600-32 and like it a lot. I find that it works for me.

this was mentioned before..but just to make sure. Everyone will LCDs...they should only but ran at their native resolutions due to their design. If they are not, image quality will be much worse.

Actually, it is a Viewsonic VA926 (model #11962) TFT/LCD monitor running at a refresh rate of 60 Hertz (it can go up to 75). According to it's specs it's max resolution is 1280x1024, but 1024x762 seems to be the max my eyes will tolerate (G)! I guess I'll switch to that setting but it might take a while for my eyes to adjust....
You can change the font size on any resolution using Desktop (right click) > Settings > Appearance.Hope this helps.John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Guest napamule

No one touched on this, so I will. I have a LCD with native res of 1440x900 (or 1400x1050). But for the desktop, FS9 and FSX I use 1280x1024x32 for all of them. Works for me. Monitor is at 70 Hertz. Heard somewhere that matching them works better. Not sure.I use glasses to read and got Optometrist Doctor to make them for the monitor distance (ie: not for close up (or book) 'reading'). The eye-to-LCD screen is 20 inch (aprox). I have a grocery store pair of reading glasses ($10) for book and magazine reading (computer related-not the 'other' kinds-hehe). I have been known to use a magnifying glass to read fine print. Simming is 90% visual (and 10% sound) so, do get them 'cheaters', if you need them.Chuck BNapamule

Guest jonthedoors

I'm one of those people who completely dis-regards the monitor's native resolution and cranks FS9's resolution right up. There's definitely a difference between 800x600 and 1024x760 though. You'll notice gauges are easier to read. Especially in the Ready For Pushback 747-200!

We're all getting old. :( and need glasses. lolOn my desktop in the States I would run at 1680x1050-32 or 1280x768-32 (I think that is right) in the 16:10 ratio. I like the lower resolution for the slightly improved performance at times, but prefer the 1680 resolution.On my laptop I run in windowed mode at 800x600-32 and like it a lot. I find that it works for me.
What's the size of your monitor?!

Hey Scott, when you say it's all your eyes can tolerate you mean that the fonts are really small? I run in 1920x1200 on a 24" monitor and they are really tiny when using the default font size. So I normally run my system using an over sized font setting of 125%. All of the normal Window's programs run fine and you can actually read dialogs and folder names.The downside is that there are a number of FS9 software packages out there that don't bother to look at system metrics when displaying dialogs. For instance, if I run an over sized font and then install something like MegaScenery, you cannot see the bottom of the dialog because their programmers didn't check my font size metric before creating their dialog windows. They based it on the default Window's system metric which they probably hard coded into the app...duh. So the work around for the lazy programming technique is to simply change the font back to the default size when using an application that doesn't check the current Window's system metric.But if that wasn't what you're talking about...never mind!Mark
Well, I've only got a 19" monitor, perhaps that's part of the problem. I did try switching to 1280x1024 (which is as high as my monitor will go) a day or two ago and the FS menu toolbar items were, as I predicted, unreadable! I couldn't switch back to 1024x768 fast enough (G)! I hadn't thought of changing the font size in Windows (not sure I knew this was possible!). It would certainly be worth checking out. How do you change the font size in Windows?Scott
You can change the font size on any resolution using Desktop (right click) > Settings > Appearance.Hope this helps.John
Thanks, John! I'll try it....Scott

No one touched on this, so I will. I have a LCD with native res of 1440x900 (or 1400x1050). But for the desktop, FS9 and FSX I use 1280x1024x32 for all of them. Works for me. Monitor is at 70 Hertz. Heard somewhere that matching them works better. Not sure.I use glasses to read and got Optometrist Doctor to make them for the monitor distance (ie: not for close up (or book) 'reading'). The eye-to-LCD screen is 20 inch (aprox). I have a grocery store pair of reading glasses ($10) for book and magazine reading (computer related-not the 'other' kinds-hehe). I have been known to use a magnifying glass to read fine print. Simming is 90% visual (and 10% sound) so, do get them 'cheaters', if you need them.Chuck BNapamule
Hum...I'll have to consult my monitor's user guide to see if it says anything about which refresh rate to use with which resolution mode. Makes sense that using a higher resolution mode with a high refresh rate would improve things...I've been known to use a magnifying glass (even at 1280x768) to view some of the smaller instruments on a panel (like PMDG's and Wilco's 737s) myself (G)! Maybe I need to take a trip to Wal-Mart and pickup a pair of reading glasses...Scott
I'm one of those people who completely dis-regards the monitor's native resolution and cranks FS9's resolution right up. There's definitely a difference between 800x600 and 1024x760 though. You'll notice gauges are easier to read. Especially in the Ready For Pushback 747-200!
Honestly, I can't see any difference! Then, again, I wear glasses (perhaps this has something to do with my problem...). I've got something like 20x200 in my right eye and 20x400 in the left. I'd be close to being legally blind without my glasses.Scott

If using an LCD type with a native resolution..that is usually the highest that the monitor will support, as it would use all the pixels available.