Sign in to follow this  
turner112

I just had my first actual emergency in FS...

I just had a "real" emergency in FS for the first time that I can remember - I'm still not quite sure what happened. I was flying the AFG YS-11 for the first time after downloading it a few hours ago. The flight was IFR from KDTW to KORD and I'd been level at FL180 for a good 15 minutes or so heading direct GIJ and marveling at all the Ultimate Traffic AI in the corridor between DTW and ORD. All of a sudden BOTH engines died and wouldn't restart - I immediately made a right turn to the north and selected KJXN (Jackson, MI) as my dead stick landing site. I misjudged the glide and came in far too fast - I got it down but ended up 20 or 30 feet off the other end of Runway 6. Should have tried a 360 to bleed off speed/alt before landing...Very odd what happened tho - anyone else had this experience with the YS-11?Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest danowat

Hi,Yeah, the YS-11 will cut the engines if you do not fly it "properly", the documentation explains this, basically you can overheat the engines by running them to hard for to long.Also you should turn off the water/methanol injection off after takeoff as this will heat the engines up too.There is a pair of temperature gauges which indicate the temperature of the engines, if you run in the red part for too long the engines will die.As far as I know this is the only add-on that does this, which is a shame because it adds alot to the realismBTW you must have been thrashing the life out of it to get it up to FL180 under IFR guidence :)Dan.

Guest RiddlePilot

Check out the FSD GMax Commander 115TC. It simulates the same thing with the engine.

I'd suggest not to run out of fuel ;-)

Guest Moghdad

The FSD GMAX Commander 115TC did this on my first and only flight with it. It seemed quite arbitrary and mystifying as I was not exceeding any limitations that I am aware. Unfortunately the maintenance feature was not adequately documented in the original release, but perhaps they've issued a patch. When there is a logic to the failure it adds to the excitement and immersion. Otherwise it is a bug.

Guest RiddlePilot

Remember that the TC means TurboCharged. You can't run the manifold pressure outside the green arc for too long, or you'll blow the pistons.

The FSD Cheyenne 400 did that to me the other night--that's what I get for taking it up without studying the manual!

>I'd suggest not to run out of fuel ;-)It was not a fuel problem. I'm betting on the overheat now actually - I hadn't seen that in the manual on the first read through. I was flying with the checklists...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I had something happen a while back with the default 737 (if I remember right)....Just after getting on glideslope for an ILS shoot, I noticed that pulling back the engines didn't seem to do anything... as I smoothly brought them back, I noticed a LOT of right yaw - Then I realized, my left engine was stuck at 80% thrust! Yow....I couldn't kill the engines, either. So I made the best of it, and landed with my right wing way up, about 20 degrees nose up, and yawed right about 15 degrees... Luckily I had about 7 miles to figure things out.Chalked it up to some type of error, not really a sim feature ;)I posted pics way back but can't find them now.Pretty sweet as far as bugs go :)Andrew