Sign in to follow this  
Guest familyguy

2 fsx engine defects that make me not enjoy the sim

Guest familyguy

Hi guys, I would like to share with you my concerns regarding the sim.the first one is a defect with the engine of the sim and as such hinders me (along with many hardcore simmers) to enjoy the sim to its fullest.the second one are Graphical glitches that also make my blood boil when i encounter it.1) NavAID dirfts.. - I subscribed to the Airac services, however most if not all the navigational aids do NOT correspond with real world charts.. if you'd bother to search my post i made in the PMDG forum regarding navaid nagivation in the mD-11 you'll see exactly what i mean..http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=258933&hl=2) Weather glitches - every X amont of minutes there seem to be some sort of "bug" that makes the clouds disspear for a second and then make it visible again ? has anyone encountered this phenom ??scenery glithces - sometimes i can see these scenery corruptions in buildings and such... now this is a general thing.. is there something wrong ith my GFX card (these issues exist only within FS... other games are viewed perfectly great)Would like to read your input on this..thanks

HiYes, two well known and often discussed defects but there's nothing to do except to live with them.The weather thing can be improved somewhat with 3rd party weather programs but no one can expected anyone to maintain a database of files to fix changes to the worldwide network of radio navaids..

I can appreciate being annoyed at the navigational stuff. I'm constantly striving for realistic operations.. and one of the most realistic aspects of FSX, IS that you can navigate realistically. If you can do it in the sim, you can do it for real.I'll admit to rarely flying tubes, because to do it realistically; you have to do it often.. not to mention that it's almost a 2-man ordeal anyway. Since I'm mostly a small, slow GA simmer (and RW instrument-rated pilot), intersections are rarely part of my flying; sim or for real. That aside... when I do encounter an inconsistency between real-world nav data, and FSX data.. I just accept that my virtual world is the world I'm flying in, and adjust my flight plans accordingly. Rest assured.. you'll come across plenty of anomalies when executing complicated IFR flight-plans. I once found myself IMC, picking up ice and when I went about planning a change in course; I lost several, precious minutes trying to tune in VOR that was listed 'high-altitude', but was functioning more like a 'low-altitude' VOR... In other words, I couldn't recieve it, when the chart led me to believe that I could.ANYway.. I know this doesn't solve your problem. But I can't imagine that a slightly dislocated intersection, while flying jet-length legs, intersection-to-intersection, will leave you lost. Even if they're closely spaced waypoints on a STAR, it shouldn't be too difficult to deal with. Now.. for a true solution.. I'm pretty sure you can modify this stuff.. ala AFCAD or ADE. That would probably be more trouble than it's worth.As for the clouds... That's likely a combination of your draw-distance, and the periodic updating that the real-weather engine does (If you have it set as such).The ground texture corruption is your video-card getting overwhelmed.

Flashing clouds can be fixed. I posted how to do this quite awhile back. You'll find my instructions near the bottom of this thread (the original thread has been lost I think). It's a bit involved but effective. A possible side effect is slightly reduced cloud density, though I haven't noticed this myself.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=66115Cheers,-Mike

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

The navaids did match the Real World at the time FSX was compiled. They used the then current world-wide data.That you choose to use today's data which does not match the sim is just that: your decision.There is no practical/reasonable way that FSX could have been released with an "updatable database." There isn't one, single database table after all. The information is distributed amongst several thousand separate files.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yeah, I am beginning to wonder if constantly updating AIRACs through Navigraph makes sense when cycle by cycle I am just departing from the FSX world a little more each time. I like the convenience of the charts, and the complete data for my airplanes, but what is the sense in changing each time? Pick up a tutorial written last year and things may have completely changed.