Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Fall textures here....a sad day!

Flew a quick flight this morning....and alas, when I looked down, my textures have started to change to the Fall textures. Soon we'll have the Winter textures in FSX here in Pennsylvania. In real life, I do enjoy the seasons, but when I fly FSX, the Spring and Summer are the best! I know I can change it, but I let the sim do its thing.Think I'll fly down South a little bit for a few weeks.Stan

Noticed that today - although I am the opposite, looking forward to the snow !!!.. Likewise I know I can change the date on the SIM, but I prefer using the real date.........Sad isn't it.....G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Mix feelings for me too, my favorite season is Fall but it preclude Winter wich i hate :( think i will move to Australia....Alain from Montreal

Guest ightenhill

yep just posted this on another forumWell its that time of year again when FSX decides that autumn (fall) has arrived and everything should be painted in a muticoloured kaleidoscope of colours worthy of Disney on Acid.. Is there a fix for these tree textures available anywhere?1-144.jpg

yep just posted this on another forumWell its that time of year again when FSX decides that autumn (fall) has arrived and everything should be painted in a muticoloured kaleidoscope of colours worthy of Disney on Acid.. Is there a fix for these tree textures available anywhere?1-144.jpg
And the truth of the matter is that this BRIGHT FOLIAGE doesn't even happen until the leaves are ready to fall off - usually late October and into November....NOT September 2nd! Too bad there isn't a "gradual" fall season texture. That I could tolerate better.Stan

Guest Zevious Zoquis
And the truth of the matter is that this BRIGHT FOLIAGE doesn't even happen until the leaves are ready to fall off - usually late October and into November....NOT September 2nd! Too bad there isn't a "gradual" fall season texture. That I could tolerate better.Stan
The simplest solution is to just override the date till late October. I mean there's nothing about doing that that is a really detrimental concession to reality or anything. It's just a number in the sim...

Mix feelings for me too, my favorite season is Fall but it preclude Winter wich i hate :( think i will move to Australia....Alain from Montreal
Alain,That is Ironic, I live in Australia and yesterday I jumped in the default FSX C172 and flew across Vermont just to appreciate the fall textures. Deciduous trees are few and far between in OZ. We are just finishing Winter and it got down to -3

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

A quick fix for the tree color kaleidoscope: Copy all files which names start with 'veg_' from the Scenery/Global/Texture folder to a safe place. From these, copy all the files that don't have their names ending with _FA, _HW, _SP or _WI to another place. From these files change the names of the trees you want to see green at this date by adding _FA to their names. Put these into Scenery/Global/Texture. So in fact, you changed the summer trees to be fall trees.I find Generic Mod Enabler a very handy tool to install (enabling or disabling) such temporary modifications without the need to back-up things manually. http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/...ucts-jsgme.htmlGerritGME.jpg

In Settings > Options, I tick the box "Always Fly in Summer" :(

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Interesting workarounds. Thanks for the suggestions.Stan

Actually the colour scheme and density is pretty accurate for North Central-Eastern Canada. Although maybe it is just a bit early in the sim. I live in Northern Ontario, and the leaves should start to turn anytime now, and put on a show of bright red, orange, amber, and yellow. Once they start, they turn fairly fast. This usually lasts for a month or so until a strong wind storm rolls in and strips the trees.Bill

In Settings > Options, I tick the box "Always Fly in Summer" :(
When I tried X-Plane it was like that all the time, just summer textures.Let's be thankful that FSX offers us seasonal varieties!

Guest jshyluk
Actually the colour scheme and density is pretty accurate for North Central-Eastern Canada. Although maybe it is just a bit early in the sim. I live in Northern Ontario, and the leaves should start to turn anytime now, and put on a show of bright red, orange, amber, and yellow. Once they start, they turn fairly fast. This usually lasts for a month or so until a strong wind storm rolls in and strips the trees.Bill
I agree. Regions at altitude change colour quickly and earlier than lower regions. I used to live in the middle of the Canandian Rocky Mountains (as opposed to next to them as I do now), and the colours were unbelievable. Again, not so many leafy deciduous trees, but a lot of larch, which are needle-bearing deciduous. It was like living in a paint palette, or that creepy Robin Williams film "What Dreams May Come". If anything, the Microsoft colours are understated. In a couple of weeks, get out to Whistler, BC, where the Olympics are at. The colours are changing now, and will look spectacular because they have a greater diversity of tree specie.Winter in the mountains was tough, though. I cannot understand people who look forward to the snow. In my old community, there were hundreds of these colourful plastic flags on long, whippy poles strapped to things. Without snow, they look almost festive. The idea is when the snow does come, hopefully the pole is long enough that the flag doesn't get buried. Then the snowplows can avoid the flags and miss taking out fire hydrants, mail boxes, and stuff. We had so much snow, we completely forgot what the colour green looked like. We had no idea what the boundaries of our lawn were. People had to tunnel to get to their front door. If you had a second storey, it was easier just to climb out a window, although you did risk plunging into a snowbank. One fellow reported his car stolen after a snowfall. It turned out to have been buried up to the roof in snow in the lot, picked up by a snowplow, and dumped into the bank. Police found it in late spring, when the bank thawed enough. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

I was flying around the Adirondak mountains in FSX and the fall colors are absolutely beautiful! A little early, but still nice. I need to remember to set things back to summer for a bit. Even here the leaves haven't started changing quite this early.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF