Sign in to follow this  
claviermichel

Multi computer

Hi,I searched for a "multi computer setup" thread but could not find anything of use for me. Here is the idea:I have 3 computers networked working without problemsComputer 1 runs FSXhow to undock a sub panel - for example overhead - to computer 2 and undock the FMC to computer 3?Which kind of software should I use to achieve this?Important is that any input made on computer 2 and/or 3 should immediately and automatically be read and worked out bycomputer 1 (FSX) equally important is the update of any event on the FSX computer should appear on computer 2 and/or 3. For example the FMC progress page should update on time as the flight proresses.All suggestions and comments are most welcome.Thanks

Hi MichaelI'm not aware of anything that will allow a person to run FSX instruments on another networked computer (with one exception). I did use WideView previously with four CPU's. WideView is an application that will allow networking multiple FSX computers, but the instruments must all be displayed on the Server - the clients are only used for the outside view. It ends up being a bit complicated and I had trouble getting the smoothness in the outside views I was looking for.There is still a benefit with having networked computers for FSX. For example, FSMap is a great utility that provides a moving map complete with AI traffic displayed. Another handy tool is TouchBuddy. For my setup, I have a virtual sim control panel put together to change various things in FSX without having to resort to key strokes or joystick buttons. There's also a pre-made FS profile for TouchBuddy available. And it's free.In my own setup, I use multiple monitors, and multiple CPU's, but all of the FSX panels are run from one computer with two video cards. I'm using TH2go as well. I fly almost exclusively with 2D panels versus VC.Oh, and the one exception I alluded to is the Leonardo SH Maddog MD-80 addon. Perhaps you're familiar with it already. If not, it's a high fidelity airliner addon that some might say, is in a class of its own. It has a feature called "Multi Crew", which allows two PC's to be networked together (LAN or internet) and the instrument panels/switches are kept it sync. Flip the Flight Director on in one, the switch moves and clicks on the other instrument panel of the second PC. It's not the most FPS friendly aircraft, and the overhead panel in particular affects FPS quite a bit. With a second PC, you can just run the overhead panel, FMC and whatever other undocked panel on the second PC. Very slick; it's the only addon I know of that does this. I'm hoping to upgrade in the near future and rearrange my screens so that I can display the Capt's and FO's panels side by side - they will be running on two different CPU's. Note that the Maddog will allow installation on two computers. I have two copies of FSX Deluxe as both computers have to have FSX installed.The home cockpit builders must have some way of running instruments and such with multiple CPU's (Project Magenta?). I'm not familiar with all of that; perhaps someone else can shed some light on other alternatives.BTW, I wrote a long winded post on using multiple monitors a while back which has some details on my current setup.Multi Monitor PostGood luck. Remember, you can never have too many monitors!Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

Hi Noel,As far as I know home cockpit builders are using project magenta software for their purpose. I found a solution which consists of virtual desktops on the main frame the one running FSX whereby I undock sub panels on the virtual desktops and I installed a remote computer manager program to visualize the virtual desktops on the other PCs. Work just fine. Now I have FSX running on PC1 overhead panel on PC2 and FMC as well as other sub panels on PC3. Exactly what I wanted.Cheers

MichaelThat sounds great. Can you provide some specifics? I'd be interested in what you're using, and how it works. I'd love to offload some panels from my main computer.How is the performance?Thanks in advance.Edit: I forgot to ask - are you able to run FSX in Full Screen Mode like this? (versus Windowed Mode).Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold