Sign in to follow this  

Problems with IFR plan out of KSTL

Hi All,Drew up an IFR plan in FSNAV from KSTL (departing runway 30L) to KIND. Exported to FS2K2 to utilize ATC. After departing on the runway heading as instructed ATC vectored me to a heading of 165 degrees and left me there until I flew halfway to Alabama. Tried the flight plan again with a different aircraft and had the same results.Any ideas as to the problem? Thanks in advance.Mike

Was the flightplan correct? It sounds more like an ATC problem. I have had similar issues with ATC vectoring me a direction and never telling me to resume own navigation. I just follow my own flightplan after a while if they forget me, and usually don't have any problems beyond that.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Thanks for the reply Craig. Sorry, neglected to say that I didn't fly the same flight plan twice using a different aircraft the second time, I actually did the plan two separate times with the same results. Both times when I figured ATC had forgotten about me and I attempted to correct the heading they told me to expedite my turn to the incorrect heading. Mike

Guest RonB49

Hi Mike,Was your first waypoint very near KSTL and on a heading of 165 from KSTL? If so, then you probably didn't fly near enough to the first waypoint to satisfy ATC. If that happens, then they keep repeating the only heading they see, the initial 165. I usually notice this when flying a jet and making a big turn right after departing the runway. In this case, you departed runway 30, then ATC said something like, "Turn left, heading 165." But by the time you made your turn, 165 was not the heading you needed to cross the WP; you needed more like 120 or 130.The solution, for me, has been to cross over that first waypoint, regardless of what heading I must fly to get there. Occassionally, ATC will repeat, "Turn heading 165," but ussually the wayoint is near enough that I get there before they cancel my IFR. A more elegant solution is to delete the first waypoint if it is very near the airport (say less than 10 nm). R-

Thanks Ron, that sounds like it might be the problem. First waypoint was called "Fix 1" as FSNAV likes to call them and it was very close to KSTL. I will try it again tonite if I have time and let you know the results. Thanks again!Mike