Sign in to follow this  
MikeDavey777

Problem updating patch to 9.1

So I'm hoping someone can help with what I hope is a simple problem. I'm running my new computer with Vista and can't seem to download MSFS 9.1 patch. I've downloaded it and tried to "run as administrator" but it keeps saying that I already have 9.1 installed, therefore I'm also unable download 744. It keeps saying I nedd V 9.1 which I dont have but it keeps telling me I do. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong so if anybody could walk me through this because I'm obviously doing something wrong here. I'm not the most computer savy, but I think I should be able to fix this problem. I'm wondering if I should just give up and install FSX. Really frustrated, again any help would be much appreciated. MikeDavey777

Mike,More than likely you installed a no-cd crack for FS9 that was the wrong version. There are two no-cd cracks out there, one for 9.0 and one for 9.1. If you install the 9.1 crack on a 9.0 installation, you will get this error because the actual 9.1 patch sees the 9.1 fs9.exe there and assumes you've already updated. That should be enough info for you to know what to do...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

To tell if you have FS9.1, start FS and go to Help on the menu, then click on About. The box should say something like Version 9.1 Build xxxx.If the 747 installer doesn't see FS9.1, it is usually because you are using a crack to avoid putting Disk 4 in a CDROM drive to start FS9. PMDG doesn't support this.Also, be sure the 9.1 patch is located in the flight simulator directory (I don't know if this makes a difference, but when run to do a patch that is where it has to be run from).Ah, Ryan beat me.

Dan Downs KCRP

To tell if you have FS9.1, start FS and go to Help on the menu, then click on About. The box should say something like Version 9.1 Build xxxx.If the 747 installer doesn't see FS9.1, it is usually because you are using a crack to avoid putting Disk 4 in a CDROM drive to start FS9. PMDG doesn't support this.Also, be sure the 9.1 patch is located in the flight simulator directory (I don't know if this makes a difference, but when run to do a patch that is where it has to be run from).Ah, Ryan beat me.
Guys,I appreciate the info, but I didn't install a CD crack, so do you know what else might be causing this issue? And I have checked the version on About MSFS and it says 9.0. I was able to do this on XP I'm just having a hell of a time with this new PC.MikeDavey777

Since it says 9.0, you need to download the update and put it in the FS9 directory and run it. You should be good to go after that.

Dan Downs KCRP

Since it says 9.0, you need to download the update and put it in the FS9 directory and run it. You should be good to go after that.
Dan, the problem is that it won't even let me get that far to download it. It say" You currently have V9.1 installed" then it gives me the option to cancel out. I really don't know what else to do. Is there anything I can reset or uninstall. I've uninstalled MSFS 9 about 6 times. I'm kinda at a lost and wondering is there something on my new computer from preventing this, or should I just hope that windows 7 fixes it?MikeDavey777

I had to install FS9 and the 9.1 patch in Vista after I built my new system. It's not a vista problem, unless you don't have admin rights assigned to the executables. Also, with PMDG you want to assign admin rights to the PMDG folder and subfolders. Otherwise, if this tip doesn't help you could also post a thread in the AVSIM FS9 forum.

Dan Downs KCRP

Are you trying to "Run" it instead of "Save" during the download attempt ? There should not be any kind of error message like you mention on a straightforward download.Can you clarify this please?

mike...it sounds to me like you need to start again.remove fs9 completely and remove the associated folders (do this using the uninstall utilities, don't just delete folders - you need the registry entries to be correctly removed).then:. if it's not disabled already, turn off vista's uac. install fs 9.0 from the disks running the setup proggie in 'run as administrator' (you must also be logged on your pc as a user account that has admin privileges).. once fs is installed and before you try and update it, run fs9 (again as 'run as administrator') and go through the full set up of database builds it does when first installed.. once you're in the sim, load the default flight at least once and then close the sim.. go to your fs9 folder and check that fs9.exe is indeed version 9.0 (this is saved in the properties info when you right clcik on the file with that name in explorer).. if it is 9.0, download the msfs 9.1 patch and make sure you copy it to four fs9 folder BEFORE you run it (the instructions say it should be in your fs9 root folder when you install).. run the patch as 'run as administrator'. when it's complete, run fs9 and let the database rebuild etc. and load the defo flight before closing the sim again.. check the fs9.exe file again and you should show the correct version (9.1...).you should now be good to go with adding your add-ons ('run as admin' when you install them).if you mess up any of this stuff, you can get duff registry entries and things get unpredictible.hth!

May I add that after uninstalling you need to carefully search for items which got left behind.The uninstall routine will only remove what was originally installed - it will not remove items such as the FS9.cfg file etc which were created when you first started up the sim.

Also try running the Flight1 Registry Repair tool... sounds like you may have something screwy going on there...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest ukd113

Hi all If you have a problem with the 9.1 patch like it is saying that it is already there and you can not setup the new MD-11 (and did not installed it in the MSFS directory from the beginning) go to your MSFS directory and look for the uninstall of the 9.1 patch, uninstall it and reinstall the patch in the MSFS directory, you don't have to reinstall the whole flightsim to do so!!Hope it helps you out.Gr Ruud

MikeDavey777 ...I had this same problem when trying to install an aircraft update. There's no need to uninstall/reinstall FS9. The solution is simple, but not intuitive.1. Open your Flight Simulator 9 directory.2. If you have the 9.1 no-CD crack file, move it to the desktop.3. Copy the original FS9.EXE file from your FS 2004 install disc #1 (it's inside the "GAME" folder) into your Flight Simulator 9 directory. 4. Move the folder named "BACKUP" from your Flight Simulator 9 directory to the Recycle Bin. This is very important because the update will not run if it detects this folder in your root FS directory.5. Run the 9.1 update, which should work fine.6. Replace the updated fs9.exe file with your 9.1 no-CD crack file and you should be good to go.It's a good idea to keep a copy of the real version 9.1 fs9.exe file handy so you can pop that back into your FS9 directory in case some third party updater balks at your no-CD crack file.Hope this works out for you.- Jev

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration