Sign in to follow this  
mikejr

Anyone with Word 2000 or above and can give a helping hand?

Hi all,I know this is a rather unusual topic, but since I unusually have no solution to such a seemingly simple problem, I thought I would ask the FS community for a hand. I am a brand new rookie repaint add-on developer, and I have a repaint, my very first, which is literally siting on my hard drive waiting to be uploaded.One problem is, with my perfectionism, I simply had to create a 'brand' with it, mostly to assure people of the quality of the product. Along with an .rtf 'EULA' type file, I wanted to create a pdf 'Info-manual' with it, basically to provide people with information on this new free add-on one man team developer group. Unfortunately I do not have the resources to complete this 'professionalism' idea as I, believe it or not, simply do not have the methods to create a pdf file. With Word 97 (yes, Word 97, I have Windows 95 on one computer too! :( ) and not the funds to get a version or two above (for just one file it seems ridiculous) it seems impossible to convert the file to a pdf file that resembles exactly the original document, even when using trail versions of respected commercial programs. Of course, I tried using many online conversion sites, all with much a similar disappointing outcome. Trouble is, most people don't use Office 97 anymore, so no conversion tool, free or otherwise has the need to put in extra effort for yet another version. :( So, my somewhat unusual request is this:If anyone has all of the following I'd be very content if someone could reply:- Microsoft Office with Word 2000 or above- Access to the Internet- 30 minutes to an hour to sparePreferably someone with these would help, but it's not necessary:- Access to preferably a free, or maybe paying pdf conversion service, they know works every time.- Some little or moderate experience in designing electronic leaflets, manuals etc for a similar type of 'market' :(Anyone with preferably the first three above, and possibly the last two will be perfect, and you'll get 'acknowledged' in my dreaded 'Info-manual'! :( Any replies and we can discuss this unusual, frustrating, but no doubt easy to fix problem further and sort it! I'd like to release my 'proffesional' repaint soon! Thanks in advance.

Mike 

So, my somewhat unusual request is this:If anyone has all of the following I'd be very content if someone could reply:- Microsoft Office with Word 2000 or above- Access to the Internet- 30 minutes to an hour to sparePreferably someone with these would help, but it's not necessary:- Access to preferably a free, or maybe paying pdf conversion service, they know works every time.- Some little or moderate experience in designing electronic leaflets, manuals etc for a similar type of 'market' :(Anyone with preferably the first three above, and possibly the last two will be perfect, and you'll get 'acknowledged' in my dreaded 'Info-manual'! :( Any replies and we can discuss this unusual, frustrating, but no doubt easy to fix problem further and sort it! I'd like to release my 'proffesional' repaint soon! Thanks in advance.
I think I meet the three first requirements and almost surely the 4th one, unless your documentation uses really weird edition features. I'd gladly lend you a hand absolutely for free, of course. What type of access/Internet sevices do you require?

With Word 97 (yes, Word 97, I have Windows 95 on one computer too! :( ) and not the funds to get a version or two above (for just one file it seems ridiculous) it seems impossible to convert the file to a pdf file that resembles exactly the original document, even when using trail versions of respected commercial programs.
Have you tried this here: http://www.dopdf.com/I am using that, but must admit only for simple documents.Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Mike,Please send me your information and I can help you out, no problem.jim(AT)hifisim.comThanks,

Google and download "Cute PDF Writer". It is fast and easy.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I think I meet the three first requirements and almost surely the 4th one, unless your documentation uses really weird edition features. I'd gladly lend you a hand absolutely for free, of course. What type of access/Internet services do you require?
Thanks for all the replies guys! :( Hi palafox. I just need access to a web based conversion service such as http://www.convertfiles.com/ . But what I was after was, maybe if a Word 97 .doc file seriously doesn't work at all anywhere, then I'd ask someone with Word 2000 or above to have my file sent to them, along with the font I used (or just send an 'Arial' font version) , and to check it looks the same, by comparing with pictures of each individual page as it appears on my system, which is how I want it to appear, exactly, as a pdf. Then once this is checked, a web based conversion service could be used to convert, or if someone has there own application that converts doc files to pdf fail safe, and is free of charge to use, then this is the best option.The file itself has a table (literally the table of contents) and a few banner pictures, the rest is all in text boxes, and there's just a few other pictures with captions overlaying them. It would seem though this makes it all rather difficult. Should there be no tables or text boxes whatsoever? What about pictures? If all this sounds good to you then let's get rid of this stupid problem! :(
Posted Today, 02:44 PM Mike,Please send me your information and I can help you out, no problem.jim(AT)hifisim.comThanks,
JSkorna, will do, but first, can you meet all the things and deal with all the stuff above? Looks like you might know your stuff.

Mike 

Guest LCSims

PrimoPDF allows you to create PDF files and is free.OpenOffice suite allows for the exporting of a document as a PDF file, made a few of those last night.

Thanks for all the replies guys! :( Hi palafox. I just need access to a web based conversion service such as http://www.convertfiles.com/ . But what I was after was, maybe if a Word 97 .doc file seriously doesn't work at all anywhere, then I'd ask someone with Word 2000 or above to have my file sent to them, along with the font I used (or just send an 'Arial' font version) , and to check it looks the same, by comparing with pictures of each individual page as it appears on my system, which is how I want it to appear, exactly, as a pdf. Then once this is checked, a web based conversion service could be used to convert, or if someone has there own application that converts doc files to pdf fail safe, and is free of charge to use, then this is the best option.The file itself has a table (literally the table of contents) and a few banner pictures, the rest is all in text boxes, and there's just a few other pictures with captions overlaying them. It would seem though this makes it all rather difficult. Should there be no tables or text boxes whatsoever? What about pictures? If all this sounds good to you then let's get rid of this stupid problem! :(JSkorna, will do, but first, can you meet all the things and deal with all the stuff above? Looks like you might know your stuff.
Ok, Mike. Feel free to send your files to my email address that follows (previous anti-spam trick application) and I'd try to do my best.My faked address: notme@potatonics.comAnd please replace: notme--> marburg potatonics.com --> telefonica.netEDIT: Have you tried the free/shareware tools fellows suggest? Maybe some works for you...

By far this is the simplest method in the world. PDF995 (free!) simply installs itself as a print driver, and even adds a small icon to your MS Word program.Create your .doc or .rtf file as usually, then click on the PFD995 icon to generate your .pdf file...I've been using it for years! :( http://www.pdf995.com/"The pdf995 suite of products - Pdf995, PdfEdit995, and Signature995 - is a complete solution for your document publishing needs. It provides ease of use, flexibility in format, and industry-standard security- and all at no cost to you."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hmmm, so many choices!
I should point out that since PDF995 pretends to be a print driver, it will quite happliy work with ANY program, including notepad.exe! :( Just for fun, I set PDF995 as my "default printer" temporarily, then created a .pdf file from a "Command Box" (aka DOS window) using:dir /s > prn :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ah Bill, I want to hang out at your house for a good laugh.Mike,Might be too late for this project, but Open Office does almost all of what MS Office does, and will export to PDF. It should open your Word 97 file also.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Might be too late for this project, but Open Office does almost all of what MS Office does, and will export to PDF. It should open your Word 97 file also.
i moved to Open Office a bit over a year ago. freeware and does everything and a it more than MSword, excel, etc.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/