Sign in to follow this  
tanker

ATC Text Size

I must be getting old - it's hard for me to read the RC atc window information in FSX. I've tried both red and white text, but I need a larger font. Is there any way to specify the text size in FSUIPC? (I have the registered version). I'm using the monitor native resolution (1400 x 1050) for both FS and the desktop.Any help would be most appreciated,Dale

Dale

I must be getting old - it's hard for me to read the RC atc window information in FSX. I've tried both red and white text, but I need a larger font. Is there any way to specify the text size in FSUIPC? (I have the registered version). I'm using the monitor native resolution (1400 x 1050) for both FS and the desktop.Any help would be most appreciated,Dale
i think you could switch out to pete's showtext, and make the font bigger. by i'm not very familiar with that code.

i think you could switch out to pete's showtext, and make the font bigger. by i'm not very familiar with that code.
It isn't my program, actually, but contributed freeware. And thanks for reminding me. I must unpackage that now from the defunct AdvDisplay ZIP and put it on my Forum as a separate downloadable. In fact I'll get on to that right away.The RC text in the default FS windows might be more readable if the user undocks the window. This gives a solid background, which might be better. It's a shame I know no way of changing colours nor font nor text size. They all seem to be fixed in the routines in FS I know of.RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

It isn't my program, actually, but contributed freeware. And thanks for reminding me. I must unpackage that now from the defunct AdvDisplay ZIP and put it on my Forum as a separate downloadable. In fact I'll get on to that right away.The RC text in the default FS windows might be more readable if the user undocks the window. This gives a solid background, which might be better. It's a shame I know no way of changing colours nor font nor text size. They all seem to be fixed in the routines in FS I know of.RegardsPete
Thankyou to both of you. I will watch for the downloadable at Pete's site.I've also noticed that the clarity of the text is much better in windows mode compared to full screen mode, which makes me think it may be because of anti-aliasing settings in Nhancer. I'll experiment with these to see what happens.Dale

Dale

Thankyou to both of you. I will watch for the downloadable at Pete's site.I've also noticed that the clarity of the text is much better in windows mode compared to full screen mode, which makes me think it may be because of anti-aliasing settings in Nhancer. I'll experiment with these to see what happens.Dale
Ok, I had antialiasing set to "combined 8x" in Nhancer (Based on NickN's guide). Changing that to "multisampling 4x or 8x" makes the text much easier to read. Visual quality is still very good, and performance (fps) is unchanged or slightly better. The text is still smaller than I would like, but I can now read it without a magnifying glass!Dale

Dale

Thankyou to both of you. I will watch for the downloadable at Pete's site.Dale
Thanks for raising the issue Dale. Yes that will be just what I need, I also will keep a look out for it on Pete's site.John

Thanks for raising the issue Dale. Yes that will be just what I need, I also will keep a look out for it on Pete's site.
I put it up on my site within half and hour of saying I would, last week.You are LOOKING in the right place I hope? The Support Forum announcements, where all my updates and additional goodies are provided? If you are only looking at Enrico Schiratti's page, that is not mine (at it does actually say) -- that is Enrico's own collection of major releases of my software for links to be made throughout the inter-world. I've no direct control over that page.RegardsPete

I put it up on my site within half and hour of saying I would, last week.You are LOOKING in the right place I hope?
Thanks for the clarification Pete as I was looking in the wrong place so I have just downloaded Show AdvDisplay Text. I have read the attached pdf and assume that I ignore any reference to AdvDisp of Peter Dowson ( as you point out in your forum message that it is now defunct.On my current setup I run Radar contact on my FSX pc so if I install Show AdvDisplay Text will it replace the Radar Contact window? Also will I have to purchase the full version of FSUIPC4 to impliment this or will the Radar Contact version be suffice? RegardsJohn

Thanks for the clarification Pete as I was looking in the wrong place so I have just downloaded Show AdvDisplay Text. I have read the attached pdf and assume that I ignore any reference to AdvDisp of Peter Dowson ( as you point out in your forum message that it is now defunct.
Ah, does his document refer specifically to Advdisplay? Sorry -- yes, ignore such references.
On my current setup I run Radar contact on my FSX pc so if I install Show AdvDisplay Text will it replace the Radar Contact window?
If by "Radar Contact window" you mean the one in FS which shows the menu messages, then, no, it doesn't automatically replace it -- if you don't change the options in FSUIPC to disable the FS window one, it will still be there. You'll have two, is all. Just disable it using the options on the main identification About tab in the FSUIPC options dialogue.
Also will I have to purchase the full version of FSUIPC4 to impliment this or will the Radar Contact version be suffice?
There's no difference between a registered and unregistered "version". It's the exact same program. registration gives you access to a load more facilities, that's all. You are lucky in that the Window control feature is one aspect available to freeware users and paid-up users alike. ;-)RegardsPete

Many thanks for that, "Show Text" is now working very well on my (Server)FSX pc; the text is so clear, fantastic. The only negative is that I have to run FSX in Windowed mode to see it so I will try to run it on another networked pc (Client). At the moment I run FSC on a networked (Client) pc using your WideFS. Can I somehow configure Show text to display on this (Client) PC rather than the (Server) pc, or do I have to install Radar Contact and Show Text on the Client to achieve this?RegardsJohn

Can I somehow configure Show text to display on this (Client) PC rather than the (Server) pc, or do I have to install Radar Contact and Show Text on the Client to achieve this?
If you already have WideClient running on the client PC, to support FSC, then just run ShowText on that PC too. Nothing else is needed. You can make WideClient start both FSC and ShowText for you, using the Run or RunReady parameters in the WideClient.ini file.Pete

If you already have WideClient running on the client PC, to support FSC, then just run ShowText on that PC too. Nothing else is needed. You can make WideClient start both FSC and ShowText for you, using the Run or RunReady parameters in the WideClient.ini file.Pete
All I can say Pete is that's pure magic, works like a dream. I really appreciate your help on this as it will help me no end with Radar Contact as my eyesight with small text is not 100%. I can now see most clearly all the text, and on a separate screen, WOW! I really now need to fully read your FSUIPC manual, in some detail, to see what I may be missing not being a paid-up user (for FSUIPC that is)!Thanks again for everything.John