Sign in to follow this  
KL Oo

Is there a bug in UT2

Hey guys,I'm looking at buying UT2 however have read in several threads that some people have had a massive frame rate hit. I dont mean the sort of frame rate it you would expect from a traffic addon, but one where the sim goes down to 3-4 frames a second from 60-70 without AI. Apparantly it has something to do with the new way that UT2 'injects' the traffic?Some people claim this is a bug with UT2 that the UT team are aware of, but unfortunatly I dont think you can access their support forums to check on this unless you buy and register the product. Can anybody provide any light on the subject?Cheers,AB

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Yes,Presently, they are using a hodge-podge of models. Although they are excellent visually, some were created for and with the FS9 (or earlier) SDK tools, which are not optimal when used in the context of FSX. MyTrafficX gives much better performance as the models are all optimized for the FSX SDK (SP2). Also, the MyTrafficX models make extensive use of FPS-saving LODs. There are actually a few MyTrafficX models in UT2. Essentially, UT2 needs a few patches to clear things up. I hear that we should expect all of the models to be compliant with the FSX SDK (SP2) in a future update. Still, the innovation in UT2 makes it a good buy for the long-haul.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I'm not so sure all of the models in My Traffic 5.2 are FSX SP2 optimized. I could be wrong, though.Take a close look at the F/A 18, for example. My Traffic will also use FSX models in their traffic database. C-172, Maule.

Most military models in MTX are not FSX SP2 compliant and some of the small GA aircraft aren't either, the free update to 5.2a i.e. 5.2b is coming hopefully in October and will include more FSX SP2 military aircraft and many other updates.

Cheers, Andy.

I'm not so sure all of the models in My Traffic 5.2 are FSX SP2 optimized. I could be wrong, though.Take a close look at the F/A 18, for example. My Traffic will also use FSX models in their traffic database. C-172, Maule.
Your correct Deke. Only some of the military AI have been optimized, i.e. some helos, C-130, KC-135, E-2C, E-3, but it is an ongoing project.Mike

Unless you ignorantly purchased the boxed version like I did, at which point you have to send money and the original CD to Germany for any and all updates. Live and learn.

Guest PPSFA
Hey guys,I'm looking at buying UT2 however have read in several threads that some people have had a massive frame rate hit. I dont mean the sort of frame rate it you would expect from a traffic addon, but one where the sim goes down to 3-4 frames a second from 60-70 without AI. Apparantly it has something to do with the new way that UT2 'injects' the traffic?Some people claim this is a bug with UT2 that the UT team are aware of, but unfortunatly I dont think you can access their support forums to check on this unless you buy and register the product. Can anybody provide any light on the subject?Cheers,AB
Some here have reported what you describe, however I use it without issue on a 3 year old system, so your milage may vary.

Unless you ignorantly purchased the boxed version like I did, at which point you have to send money and the original CD to Germany for any and all updates. Live and learn.
You have the option to crossgrade to the download version from Simmarket for a reduced price with support direct from the developer, please ask over at the official forum for details.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks for the heads up Andy. Now I'll stop the off topics in this thread. Apologies to the original poster.

Guest FxF3

I love and hate UT2 because of the way it injects traffic into FSX. I'm going to try and get a refund for it at Flight1. I just put in a ticket for that will see what happens. I guess my poor computer can't handle any thing other then FSX itself and UTX. :( I guess I will put my old FS9 traffic bgl back in FSX and move the old planes from it back in.

What are the pros and cons? I understand that it managers traffic differently than the older .BGL traffic files. Can anybody explain how so? And why this may slow the sim down?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

What are the pros and cons? I understand that it managers traffic differently than the older .BGL traffic files. Can anybody explain how so? And why this may slow the sim down?
Traffic is updated every 30 seconds in UT2. When this update happens new aircraft are added and others are removed. No AI will show on the ground if you are flying above 10 thousand feet. When on final into a destination the traffic is injected when you are 10 miles out. This injection while on final is what most are not happy with as the sim will pause for a short moment while the traffic updates. THe nice thing is the AI fly real routes and at high AI levels you dont see the swarm effect of ai at busy airports. THe AI models are great looking. I like the add-on but do hope they get the injection issue worked out. If you are reasonable with you AI level I think you will like it.

Jim Wenham

Guest FxF3

Just a follow up. Flight 1 has a great return service. I had to return UT2 and it was quick service back on my Card within 3 days. I hate that UT2 did not work out for me guess my AI traffic hunt is still on. LOL I did learn a new trick if you remove the default FSX AI traffic bgl your FPS jump though the roof even at huge airports.

Funny, for me UT2 is much lighter on framerates than MTX is. I use it exclusively, although I have both.

You probably aren't using the DX10 schedules in MTX then or you are using an old version like 5.0 or 5.1, frame rates are far better in MTX 5.2a by a long way unfortunately for UT2.

Cheers, Andy.