Sign in to follow this  

Multiplayer issue

I have three computers on a network through a router. Two of them can connect to eachother, the thirt cannot so it's nothing to do with the router (I imagine anyway).When I host a game on the offending machine, it generates an IP address that is different than the machines real address. Also, it's different than the address generated by DirectPlay network diagnostics. The fs2002 config file has the correct IP address in it, but FS doesn't use it when you host a session, in addition, this same computer cannot see sessions created by my other two computers.Here's the differences...the two good ones are wireless and running DX8.1, and the bad machine (ironically my brand new fast one) is Ethernet and DX9.1.Anyone who can help me will be in my last will and testiment!-----Little Ray

Your router generates the IP addresses not the computers unless you are using some router software inside your computer that is connected with the ethernet.Several things to check:1. Check each computer and ensure they are all using the same workgroup name, i.e., WORKGROUP, MSHOME, etc.On WinXP, enter control panel, select system, Computer Name tab, and check the full computer name and the workgroup settings. Each computer has to has a unique name but the same workgroup name.On Win98/ME, right click the Network Neighborhood Icon on your desktop and select properties or enter control panel, select Network. Select the Identification tab and ensure each computer has a unique name but the same workgroup name.2. Check to make sure each computer has the proper TCP/IP protocol settings. I like using IPX/SPX with NetBEUI and NETBIOS support for internal LAN communications and only using TCP/IP for internet communications.If you enable file and print sharing, make sure you disable it for the TCP/IP going to your internet connection.If you are trying to run Multiplayer through the Internet to another user, you need to open ports on your router. Internally, you shouldn't need the ports open if you are using two computers to talk to each other.I also recommend you update all the computers to DirectX9.0a.

DX 9....that was the problem. I updated the other two computers and now it works....wierd since dx9 still used direct play 8Thanks