Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bud

JS41 with Keyboard

Guest Bud

Just had a quick glance through the manuals. I didn't see anything about keyboard shortcuts. I assume that there will be a keyboard list as in the past - at least I'm hoping so.Bud

There is not a menu with pmdg keycommands; however, I never missed those during testing. Of course the default FS keycommands that are applicable work and Shift+2 brings up the Ramp Manager and Shift+3 brings up the FMS so I don't think you'll missed special keycommands either.

Dan Downs KCRP

In PMDG MD-11, I have found the keyboard commands extremely useful. I have programmed several functions there and then through FSUIPC to my joystick. Commands such as the autoflight button, a/t disconnect, among other things that is useful to have if you want to keep "hands on controls". I dont know how necessary this is in the J41 though as I havent even studied the plane yet. It looks like an amazing product.

Antti,As Dan says, it's not too necessary. The tools are there through the Ramp Manager to open all the doors and handle the ground equipment, and otherwise, the regular FSX commands will do the trick.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Guest Bud
Antti,As Dan says, it's not too necessary. The tools are there through the Ramp Manager to open all the doors and handle the ground equipment, and otherwise, the regular FSX commands will do the trick.
Just to be clear, are you saying that the regular FSX commands, for example, to operate autoflight functions, are functional in the JS41?Bud

That would be a no Bud, this is a beautiful plane but from the short amount of testing I have done it would appear that the JS41 doesn't use the default keys that allow you to change heading and altitude bugs. This is very very disappointing if it is correct and not an error on my part as it makes the JS41 useless with all my beautiful VRinsight hardware. I should be able to press CTRL SHIFT H and then use the + and - keys to change the heading bug, and a similar set of keys for the altitude, but they just dont work. FSUIPC controls dont seem to work either, I'm not happy.Initial testing also makes the RealAir Duke look like its got blazing frame rates compared to the JS41, it certainly is very framerate hungry, I'd say the MD11 has better frame rates by some way actually.

Cheers, Andy.

Guest Bud
That would be a no Bud, this is a beautiful plane but from the short amount of testing I have done it would appear that the JS41 doesn't use the default keys that allow you to change heading and altitude bugs. This is very very disappointing if it is correct and not an error on my part as it makes the JS41 useless with all my beautiful VRinsight hardware. I should be able to press CTRL SHIFT H and then use the + and - keys to change the heading bug, and a similar set of keys for the altitude, but they just dont work. FSUIPC controls dont seem to work either, I'm not happy.Initial testing also makes the RealAir Duke look like its got blazing frame rates compared to the JS41, it certainly is very framerate hungry, I'd say the MD11 has better frame rates by some way actually.
Thanks Andy for confirming what I was suspecting - that would make Antii's reply rather misleading.There have been a number of threads on this Forum which demonstrate the considerable depth of interest in using commercial and/or home built hardware to enhance the experience of control. I am quite staggered that PMDG has chosen to ignore this interest in offering the JS41. For me it does not matter if a plane is a graphic marvel or if every system is faithfully reproduced to the last detail - if I have to turn a knob by using a mouse all sense of reality is blown away. I believe we have already established that I am not part of a niche market - hardware would not be produced commercially if there was not a ready supply of enthusiasts to buy it. Why oh why, then, is this aspect of reality not part of PMDG's plans.This is very, very disappointing - I had seen the JS41 as a worthy successor to the ageing F1 ATR. It now seems to be a giant leap backwards.Bud

Big disappointment for me too. I have a cr@pload of buttons on my saitek pro yoke and throttle for a reason damnit!! :( Hope PMDG plans to implement keyboard shortcuts in a patch soon!!FRED

Guest Bud

I know that everyone must be terribly busy after the release, but at some point could someone from PMDG please indicate why keyboard shortcuts are not provided with this plane. Is there any chance at all that this could be rectified in a future patch.Bud

Guest sfox72

Hi,Really sceptic about VC only philosophy I'm really impressed about the framerates and the overall feeling in this new PMDG aircraft. But... VC-only without keyboard mappings? There is a lot of I'm missing like to be able to set altitude or heading via keyboard or rotary knobs from GoFlight. I'm sorry but in point of view VC-only must include a full keyboard mapping. Even the workaround via FSUIPC macros is not working. Please add this feature :-)Best Regards

Guest Bud
simply don't buy PMDG ,like me since a long time...the product for PMDG are not for home builder (not for hardcore simmer but the PMDG product are for eyes)... this product ...turboprop works with key mapping Majestic - Dash 8Q 300 Pilot Edition Released the pro edition...Bye
Hi - I don't agree. I do buy PMDG products, I believe they are amongst the finest simulations provided for FS. I use the MD 11 with my home cockpit - all functions are hardware controlled. I have no need of a mouse at all. My query with regard to the JS41 is why PMDG chose not to give us a key mapping facility which they have done previously. Bud