Sign in to follow this  

Hi,My computer is stable @ 4.2 Ghz and the temps are ok for a 965 revision C0/C1 air cooled.But to maintain this stability I have to leave the QPI/DRAM core voltage on AUTO when I see most of the o/c with this value at 1.35.Is there any problem (=danger) letting the computer fix the QPI/DRAM voltage or should I lower my o/c until this value is at 1.35 volts?My specs on my signature.Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest Nick_N
Hi,My computer is stable @ 4.2 Ghz and the temps are ok for a 965 revision C0/C1 air cooled.But to maintain this stability I have to leave the QPI/DRAM core voltage on AUTO when I see most of the o/c with this value at 1.35.Is there any problem (=danger) letting the computer fix the QPI/DRAM voltage or should I lower my o/c until this value is at 1.35 volts?My specs on my signature.Thanks in advance!
Here is the tech skinny DaveIntel spec is 1.375vThat is not the max safe value but the one they published just to cover their arseI know you are safe without any degeneration of component as long as that tower has good airflow up to 1.42/1.43In your case would say the board you have has automatically increased the QPI/DRAM in AUTO mode else you would be just as unstable at AUTO as you are @ 1.35v baring something off in the BIOS itself.The danger with AUTO is that some boards may not increase the voltage as per the rule: .50v within DRAM VOLTAGE. So if you are at 1.65v DRAM then the lowest the QPI/DRAM should be set is 1.15 from its default of typically 1.10. On the flip side if a BIOS is not calculating it correctly it could also be too high, therefore it is usually best to set this value manually when clocking just to sure you are in the safe range. More than likely you are fine at AUTO, its just a precaution since boards and BIOS may set that voltage differently.You are safe to trim up to 1.42/1.43 manually but I do not suggest higher as the memory compaines are telling people to do. Start at 1.37 and work your way up. You will probably find is stabilizes between 1.37 and 1.40

Guest Nick_N

Almost forgot DaveWith a C0 proc >4GHz+ you may need a little PLL/IOH voltageTry thisQPI/DRAM 1.35v - if this fails with the values stated below, raise to 1.37CPU PLL Voltage: 1.80 to 1.88IOH Voltage 1.20ICH Voltage 1.20See if that cures the issue with QPI/DRAM 1.35-1.37If it does you may be able to trim back a touch on CPU voltage.. you would need to test that in order to find out.Do make sure Load Line Calibration is ENABLED with the CE1/Speedstep features disabled

Thank you so much Nick, that's exactly the information I was looking for.I'll follow your advices and report.All the best my friend :--)David

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

:( This board is driving me crazy since I've changed my RAM few days ago from PC12000 CL8 to PC14900 CL7.I've tried different settings and even with the following I get BSODsCPU PLL: up to 1.88QPI/DRAM: up to 1.42IOH volt: 1.20ICH volt: 1.20I have to set both QPI/DRAM + CPU PLL to AUTO to get the system stable (*).The rest of my settings areCPU freq: 4131 (27 x 153)vcore: 1.42500 (I can't reach that CPU freq with less voltage)DRAM : 1844 Mhz @ 7-8-7-20 (Corsair specs)and all Spectrums and other C1E, Speedstep... disabled of course, Load Line Calibration enabled and HT off. (*) EDIT: I thought it was stable because it finished 100 passes of LinX 0.6.2 but OCCT killed my dreams :-((Any idea?

Best regards,
David Roch

:( This board is driving me crazy since I've changed my RAM few days ago from PC12000 CL8 to PC14900 CL7.I've tried different settings and even with the following I get BSODsCPU PLL: up to 1.88QPI/DRAM: up to 1.42IOH volt: 1.20ICH volt: 1.20I have to set both QPI/DRAM + CPU PLL to AUTO to get the system stable (*).The rest of my settings areCPU freq: 4131 (27 x 153)vcore: 1.42500 (I can't reach that CPU freq with less voltage)DRAM : 1844 Mhz @ 7-8-7-20 (Corsair specs)and all Spectrums and other C1E, Speedstep... disabled of course, Load Line Calibration enabled and HT off. (*) EDIT: I thought it was stable because it finished 100 passes of LinX 0.6.2 but OCCT killed my dreams :-((Any idea?
Do you have a chance to monitor the auto voltage value for QPI/DRAM and PLL in Bios or Windows? I bet that the autosettings pushes QPI/DRAM higher than you already have tried. You can set QPI/DRAM to 1.45 - 1.55 for a short time (to show which value is stable). My System runs with QPI/DRAM 1.50 with 2000MHz 7-8-7-20 memory settings. For 24/7 it is your choice if you will go higher than 1.43. It depends on how often you change your Hardware.

Thanks for your answer :--)Asus TurboV shows QPI/DRAM: 1.47500 volts and CPU PLL: 1.81592 .Do you suggest that I set these values in the BIOS instead of AUTO?

Best regards,
David Roch

Thanks for your answer :--)Asus TurboV shows QPI/DRAM: 1.47500 volts and CPU PLL: 1.81592 .Do you suggest that I set these values in the BIOS instead of AUTO?
Hi,I would set PLL to 1.84 and QPI to 1.4750. As for the other Voltages: IOH: 1.14-1.18 / ICH: 1.10 / VDRAM: 1.64-1.66Set voltages manually is always a better choice.If you test your settings with linx, make sure that linx uses all available memory (button All)I wish you luck!

Hi,I would set PLL to 1.84 and QPI to 1.4750. As for the other Voltages: IOH: 1.14-1.18 / ICH: 1.10 / VDRAM: 1.64-1.66Set voltages manually is always a better choice.If you test your settings with linx, make sure that linx uses all available memory (button All)I wish you luck!
Thanks!I will play with these settings.I will probably have other questions if you are around :-)

Best regards,
David Roch

Thanks!I will play with these settings.I will probably have other questions if you are around :-)
You're welcome!I'm not at home but my Notebook is always with me. :(

Thanks again :--))Well... I was using LinX with default 768 memory, that's why it was ok...Using ALL > BSOD after a few seconds.So I used your settings and got a BSOD as well but after 5 minutes.Temps reached 86 C.I must admit that I am lost :( Maybe 4.131Ghz is too high for this chip with air cooling?

Best regards,
David Roch

Thanks again :--))Well... I was using LinX with default 768 memory, that's why it was ok...Using ALL > BSOD after a few seconds.So I used your settings and got a BSOD as well but after 5 minutes.Temps reached 86 C.I must admit that I am lost :( Maybe 4.131Ghz is too high for this chip with air cooling?
An BSOD after 5 minutes can be the heat, in your case, or your CPU and/or QPI needs a little bit more Voltage. But that causes even more heat. If you can't lower VCore, than only a better cooling solution can get you out of this, I'm afraid.Can you try OCCT as well and monitor the heat? Linx causes very high temps but is also a good indicator for 24/7 stability.

An BSOD after 5 minutes can be the heat, in your case, or your CPU and/or QPI needs a little bit more Voltage. But that causes even more heat. If you can't lower VCore, than only a better cooling solution can get you out of this, I'm afraid.Can you try OCCT as well and monitor the heat? Linx causes very high temps but is also a good indicator for 24/7 stability.
Perhaps the sweet spot is a little lower. My 920 D0 is very happy with BCLK 190 x21 = 4Ghz with Vcore and QPI around 1.289V However that slightly under utilizes my 1600Mhz RAM, so I tried to shoot for the moon. To get to 200/4.2Ghz, I need 1.4V on Vcore and 1.43V on QPI, plus other little voltage tweeks elsewhere. Power consumption shot up by over 60W, translated into heat and my hotest core was pushing beyond 75C. I decided it was all to much for a 5% frequency gain that is probably insignificant in FSX terms.Simon

Perhaps the sweet spot is a little lower. My 920 D0 is very happy with BCLK 190 x21 = 4Ghz with Vcore and QPI around 1.289V However that slightly under utilizes my 1600Mhz RAM, so I tried to shoot for the moon. To get to 200/4.2Ghz, I need 1.4V on Vcore and 1.43V on QPI, plus other little voltage tweeks elsewhere. Power consumption shot up by over 60W, translated into heat and my hotest core was pushing beyond 75C. I decided it was all to much for a 5% frequency gain that is probably insignificant in FSX terms.Simon
D0's needs less VQPI and VCore than the C0/C1 stepping. I also think that, if David go for 4000MHz his CPU is stable with less voltages and heat. With a better cooling solution he is maybe able to reach a good 4200MHz. In combination with a GTX-285, 4200MHz CPU can improve the smoothness of FSX, but 4000MHz is also a good value.

Guest Nick_N
Dave based on what you posted later in the thread the AUTO setting is reading the SPD on the memory modules programmed by Corsair and the Asus REII BIOS is calculating that out for you... and yes, you can use the Asus software to check it as I would have pointed out had a manual setup not been successful although I much prefer a scope or DVOM to check such things over the Windows software especially when I am playing with an expensive processor. Corsair memory will tell you to exceed 1.45v QPI/DRAM to run their 1866/2000 memory products and its something I disagree with. None the less if its stable running AUTO leave it please. The 1.475 value being run is higher than I would normally suggest be run however it is well under the 1.5-1.65 they have been telling people to run using their >1600 memory products and just a bit higher than I would post in a forum to run.My conversations with a rep in Intel engineering have provided a non official insight into this issue. His assessment is these memory companies are betting on 2 things.. 1. The damage that may ensue will happen but a critical loss may not appear for a long period of time 2. You are overclocking, tough luckThe heat produced by raising that value can not be monitored which is why it is so very important the tower have good airflow if the user intends to exceed the 1.375 limit Intel officially placed on the spec. This issue is exactly why I do not run 2000 memory. You can obtain higher performance than DDR3 2000 8-8-8 by running DDR3 1600 @ 6-6-6. When I was working with the DDR3 2000 products earlier this year I was forced to run a QPI/DRAM of 1.52-1.62v and Corsair was one of them. When they release stable DDR3 2000 running 7-7-7 or lower in timing (7-7-7 is on the market) and it does not require a QPI/DRAM of above 1.50 to remain stable, or, I don