Sign in to follow this  
3-2-1-Now

J41 Cargo Smoke

Hi,The manual makes reference to the fact that cargo smoke detection is not installed in the sim. Can this also be the case with the real thing?Best regards,Robin.

Guest BlueRidgeDx
Hi,The manual makes reference to the fact that cargo smoke detection is not installed in the sim. Can this also be the case with the real thing?Best regards,Robin.
Robin,The cargo pod smoke detection system was optional equipment. Incidentally, the weight this system added to the aircraft's BOW frequently made flights "weight critical". Even on relatively cool days, we would be really tight on payload. At 15c, departing IAD with an 11,000ft runway, we already had to reduce MTOW by 110lb. It only got worse from there.Regards,Nick

Wow.I noticed that at MZFW the amount of fuel you can get onboard is small (2100 lbs or so). What is the unusable fuel? Do you know?Any idea of ETA? Is it worth me staying up tonight? :DBest regards,Robin.

Guest BlueRidgeDx

Robin,The unusable fuel is pretty insignificant. Something like 4 gallons.You can theoretically load 2,710lb of fuel if you're at MZFW, and still be under Max Ramp Weight (it depends on temperature and fuel density). You'd have to burn 110lb off during taxi in order to be legal for takeoff, though.2,600lb of fuel doesn't sound like much, but in the J41, it goes a long way. Reserve fuel is only 700lb. And as a rough guide, typical burn is about 1000pph. So you can theoretically fly nearly two hours and still land with reserve if no alternate was required.RSR's statement of "likely today" is the best I can do. For what it's worth, I haven't seen any indications to the contrary.Nick

Guest 747-fan

Is "probably today"

RSR's statement of "likely today" is the best I can do. For what it's worth, I haven't seen any indications to the contrary.
Fair comment! Just that I could be up until 0200-0300 just to find out it isn't happening. :D
The unusable fuel is pretty insignificant. Something like 4 gallons.You can theoretically load 2,710lb of fuel if you're at MZFW, and still be under Max Ramp Weight (it depends on temperature and fuel density). You'd have to burn 110lb off during taxi in order to be legal for takeoff, though.2,600lb of fuel doesn't sound like much, but in the J41, it goes a long way. Reserve fuel is only 700lb. And as a rough guide, typical burn is about 1000pph. So you can theoretically fly nearly two hours and still land with reserve if no alternate was required.
That is great!!Best regards,Robin.

Any idea of ETA? Is it worth me staying up tonight? :D
hmm, just what I was thinking!! :(

My bet is it will be right at 5:00pm Eastern, right when my bank appointment is :(

I still haven't made it through all the manuals anyway. While I want it as soon as possible I am hopin to have a good bit of basic knowledge before jumping in. At least there isn't 1,000+ pages of material like the MD-11. Only finished the Pilot Intro and Tutorial so far. Starting the AOM now. :( So far to me it looks like the FMS is going to be the hardest thing to get used to. I just figured out how to use FMC's not to long ago.

So far to me it looks like the FMS is going to be the hardest thing to get used to.
Steven,I thought it'd be hard at first, and having never used anything close to it, it was. There's nothing all that confusing about how it operates, just a bit different than what I, and I'm sure many others, was used to.Just remember, you've got a forum full of people ready and willing to answer your questions. Don't hesitate to ask a question if you need to, no matter how small it seems. :(

I'm halfway through the AOM. Quite easy reading actually! Nice manual.Couple of typos - what is the minimum oil temp for start? ;)Best regards,Robin.

I know I'm straying from the original topic, but she only has a range of 770 nm?????2 hours at Mach 0.50 cruise = ~ 600 nm, on just 2,000 lbs of fuel (working on the 1,000 lbs/hr figure).Apparently tank capacity is 5,818 lbs.Let's say we burned 2,000 lbs in the climb, that still leaves 3,818 lbs, so we could fly 2,290 nm?????Wikipedia is also stating 770 nm range. That means fuel burn is much higher - ~2,700 lbs/hr.Best regards,Robin.

Robin,Fuel burn rate varies pretty widely with altitude and weather, but running the engines as close to EGT limits as I could in Southern California summer weather (unusually hot for the last couple weeks), I'd typically see cruise fuel burn between 1,000 and 1,200 PPH. Bear in mind, though, that the thumb rules given in the tutorial are just that -- a rough idea of how much fuel you need to accomplish a particular flight. They take into account the average climb and descent fuel...you won't need to burn 2,000 lbs in the climb! What the thumb rules mean is that you'll need about 3,000 lbs of fuel to make a two hour flight with reserves. (1,200 lbs for the first hour + 1,000 pounds for the second hour, and landing with 800 pounds aboard.)Don't ask me how they get the 770 mile range number, but my guess is that's based on a "typical profile".

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Robin,I'm guessing the 770 mile range is with 29 passengers on board, plus some cargo.I just fired up the sim and looked, and with 29 passengers, 10 carry ons (10 lbs each), 660 lbs in the aft cargo hold, and 330 lbs in the cargo pod, you can load right around 3,200 lbs worth of fuel (Hopefully I wrote those numbers down correctly, but they should be close).

I was wondering the same.If you could sit in the cruise at Mach 0.50, that equates very closely to 5 miles per minute in zero wind (yes - really - work through it yourself and you shall see...), so 5 x 60 = 300 nm/hr.I haven't read the Tutorial yet - just finished reading the AOM.I desperately want to fly now!!! :DBest regards,Robin.