Sign in to follow this  
ahuimanu

Short turnarounds at remote stations and the GPU

Hello,I've read the intro and tutorial and I am now perusing the manual. One thing I haven't seen mention of is how turnarounds are done at remote stations which may not have a GPU. I remember that the ATR had a mode where one of the engines was used as a GPU (the propellers had a "brake" on them) so that the ATR could continue to run at a remote station. Is this something that the J41 can do or does the direct-drive nature of the Garretts prohibit this? Or, do you just have to make sure you don't run the battery down? Would the J41s get stuck at remote stations?I'm still searching for this answer in the manual, but perhaps someone knows a thing or two on the matter.Thanks!

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Hello,I've read the intro and tutorial and I am now perusing the manual. One thing I haven't seen mention of is how turnarounds are done at remote stations which may not have a GPU. I remember that the ATR had a mode where one of the engines was used as a GPU (the propellers had a "brake" on them) so that the ATR could continue to run at a remote station. Is this something that the J41 can do or does the direct-drive nature of the Garretts prohibit this? Or, do you just have to make sure you don't run the battery down? Would the J41s get stuck at remote stations?I'm still searching for this answer in the manual, but perhaps someone knows a thing or two on the matter.Thanks!
The J41 does not have hotel mode on the Garrets unlike the ATR. You need to use the GPU when you are on the ground and engines off. Many outstations use GPUs or they have an in-ground electrical supply as well as at the gate in many international airports. However we have only modeled the GPU option, this way our pilots can fly the J41 at any airport, big or small :-)The batteries don't last long so make sure you use your GPU BEFORE you shut down ;-)Cheers,Jason

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

Guest BlueRidgeDx

The J41 can do an internal battery start if a GPU isn't available. Sometimes, like you said, there's no GPU, or it's out of service. The other time a battery start is used is after getting de-iced. Typically, you'd start up, taxi out to the de-ice pad, then shutdown while getting sprayed. Afterward, you do a battery start and redo the "after start" and "taxi" checks.Just make sure you have at least 24.0V on the batts before trying it. There's also a restriction on the amps, but I don't remember what it is. Just shut off both avionics busses, and you should be fine.Use the first engine's generator to assist in the start of the second engine.Regards,Nick

Is there a way to do a battery start and not have your flight plan in the FMC get dumped? Or is the solution to start engines from cold and dark then program the FMC?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Guest KHAOS
Is there a way to do a battery start and not have your flight plan in the FMC get dumped? Or is the solution to start engines from cold and dark then program the FMC?
Yep. Flip the GND PWR switch to "BATT ASSIST" to keep your FMC programmed.

Hmm for some reason, with BATT ASSIST on but the GPU disconnected, I still lose the FMC. Guess I'll just have to "rely" on each outstation having a GPU =P

Hmm for some reason, with BATT ASSIST on but the GPU disconnected, I still lose the FMC. Guess I'll just have to "rely" on each outstation having a GPU =P
I've noticed the same thing. The FMC sometimes retains part of the initialization after a battery-powered start (e.g. flightplan gone but weight data and cruise level still there).

For me, sometimes it just keeps the weight data and dumps the cruise level as well. I wonder if it's related to how long the aircraft is disconnected from the GPU.

That's funny because mine retains all input information.Travis