Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

Help with Short Field Takeoff at Bald Mountain.

I'm trying to do a short field takeoff at the following airport:Bald Mountain in Talkeetna, Alaska (2AK7).Trying it in the Cessna Skylane. Is it even possible to get off the ground before the end of the runway? I've tried everything I know about short field takeoffs. Increase flaps, full throttle while braked before going. Is it possible or do I need to find another runway?Whats a good short field practice runway that I can actually get a successfully take off on ;)Please help!

You could try with a STOL plane.I just tried with the DHC-2 Beaver and I took off from Bald Mountain without any problems.Or have a look in the "Bush Flying Unlimited" forum. We are lots of people flying from small airfields so you can find inspration for other STOL planes to download.Cedar

The runway there is 1000ft long at an elevation of 3600ft. Since your above 3000ft MSL, you'll need to lean the engine to peak egt. before takeoff. Shortfield procedures in the 172 are 10

Those numbers are for a fully loaded 172. Looking again, if you lighten the plane by taking less fuel or editing some passengers out of the aircraft.cfg, getting it down to 2200 lbs or less, you can get off just barely under 1000ft, so long as you're flying with standard temp & pressure. If it's warmer than 10

Heheh. When I was flying BFU missions reducing my fuel load was always my "secret" trick for getting off the ground. Of course my predeliction for trying to fly large planes into tiny airports doesn't make it any easier. :)

Guest Smiley

The 182 could have difficulty taking off from a 1000' strip at 3600' elevation. The take off roll on pavement is from 620' to 850' depending on the year of production (stock). Add 10% runway length for grass and 12% per 1,000' of elevation.At 620' SL would be 975' at 3600' on grass.At 850' SL would be 1337' at 3600' on grass.With a full load out.

Guest SlimDady

i dealt with it by treating it as a soft field takeoffIt had a full fuel load I taxied the plane to the very end of the runway. Set 20 degrees flaps, and throttled full. Release the breaks and begin to roll. I then pull full back on the yoke, the second the plane lifts off I level out to prevent a stall, then gain speed just a few feet of the ground once at a decent speed I begin the climb out.I lifted off fairl close to the end of the runway