Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

US NAT'L CHAMPIONSHIP AIR RACES 2009

Captains-A few weeks ago someone asked about this year's air races and whether or not I'd have the team and Race #8 out again this year.The answer is without a doubt: YES!We will begin qualification for the races on 11SEP09, and be running time trials through 15SEP09.The races themselves begin on 16SEP and continue through 20SEP.I will be on field every day (except possibly one day where I must travel to speak at a convention) and then I'll be back..If anyone is planning to attend- please jump into this thread and let me know. We had a few folks stop by to visit last year- and it is always enjoyable to meet like minded fellows- even if the environment can be a bit hectic...So come on up- stop by and visit. We'll give you a chance to crawl around a WWII vintage airlpane- take a few pictures and share some air racing stories... You never know what other opportunities might come up- so let us know if you are coming!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Hi Rob,I`m doing the VS19 into SFO on the 15th so I might try and get up for the day on the 16th if you are there. I`ll look at ways to get up there and let you know.It`ll be my last SFO for a while, they`re putting that pesky A340 on the route for 6 months!CheersJon B

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

I will be there this year for the first time as well - I'll see if I can't get ahold of one of our PMDG shirts to make myself more recognizable ;)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hey Rob.....it was me who posted that. I will definatley be there and I already have my pit pass. Looking forward to see you and Ryan. How about PMDG shirt for those that show ?Peter osborn

Peter Osborn

Hey Rob.....it was me who posted that. I will definatley be there and I already have my pit pass. Looking forward to see you and Ryan. How about PMDG shirt for those that show ?Peter osborn
Peter-We'll see what we can do. :-)Eric-Make sure you ID yourself. Always good to know the neighbors...We made a few good friends last year discovering that there were a few PMDG customers nearby...
I will be there this year for the first time as well - I'll see if I can't get ahold of one of our PMDG shirts to make myself more recognizable ;)
Hey Ryan- Why don't we just shave your head to make you more recognizable? Oh - wait... never mind. :-p

I'd drop in if I had the money for the flight from Australia. I have ALWAYS wanted to go see an air race, like the Red Bull air races. My entire life (I'm 31 now) I've wanted to be able to do one thing only - to be a pilot. Sadly, that will never be due to the fact I am completely deaf in one ear and severely deaf in the other. I now have a Cochlear Implant, which helps and I might one day be able to gain at least my PPL, but I'll never be able to get a Class 1 medical for a career in aviation because no one has been willing to give me a chance to prove my abilities, which depresses the hell out of me at times. But if I had the money to fly over from Oz, I'd love to see the races. Good luck, Robert.

Matthew,I too am deaf in both ears, in fact I am profound deaf and wear hearing aids to help me hear the world go by :( My grandfather gave me this advice about my dreams of getting my pilots license is, do not give up, work hard towards your goal and you will achieve them. Pester people if you have to, beg for your chance and you'll get one. Do not take NO for an answer. Thats exactly what I did, I visited several flight schools here in Vancouver (Boundary Bay Airport), paid for an intro flight, showed the instructor what I was capable of, how we can communicate in the cockpit (note pads and clipboard as well as gesturing and pointing at instruments, thumbs up for all good, thumbs down for all bad). My flight experience prior to that was limited to flying with my grandfather in his homebuilt tail dragger and the majority was with flight simulators. When I approached PRO IFR (local flight school) they were skeptical about allowing me to become a pilot, I had done many research about deaf pilots so I was able to explain to them about what deaf people could and could not do. After convincing them, we went for an intro flight and the instructor was quite impressed with my skills given it was limited to FS and with my grandfather. Actually he was so impressed that they were willing to give me a chance in flight school. The highest certification you can achieve in Canada is a Private Pilot's Licence. I could obtain a PPL however with some restrictions, I must have a qualified pilot with me whenever I am flying into controlled airports.To date, I have 2 standing offers from Pro IFR and Montair to enroll in their flight training school, unfortunately it costs a lot of money, close to $10,000 CDN which includes all ground school, books, cost of aircraft rental, examination fees and taxes. It is my goal one day to obtain a PPL and I am not giving up on this and neither should anybody given their physical limitations. Prove you can do it, bug them, pester them and one day you'll have your opportunity.If it is of any help, there is a great resource site maintained by an organization called Deaf Pilots Association (USA based but the principles are the same anywhere in the world). Here is their site: www.deafpilots.orgDon't give up, keep at it, be stubborn..Cheers,

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

Cool, that's quite interesting Jason! The main thing stopping me from pursuing my PPL at this time is money. It's about (AUD)$10k-$12k to obtain the PPL here and about another $40k for the CPL I believe. I lost my job at Christmas due to the worldwide economic crisis and haven't found work since. This is the first time I've been out of work since 2000! Once I start work again, I hope to be able to continue in pursuing my aviation goals.

I really need to make it out to this one of these years. Although I've been telling myself that for years now. :(

Matthew-I'll echo Jason's sentiments on this one: Get the license!I have been fortunate to fly for a living- an experience for which i am very thankful. Any time I meet someone who is considering learning to fly- even if for his/her own personal recreation- I am ALWAYS a strong advocate.Learning to fly will do wonders for your self esteem, your self confidence, and your outlook on life. It doesn't sound to me like your hearing has inhibited you from getting the best out of life in general- and it won't inhibit you from thoroughly enjoying flying on your own. It might not be glamorous- but sometimes the best flights are those where it is just you, the airplane, and the big marble we call earth spread out around you.So get that job back- and get that PPL... Don't sweat the cost- in the great scheme of things- it isn't that much money when compared to what you'll earn during your entire life.

Matthew-I'll echo Jason's sentiments on this one: Get the license!I have been fortunate to fly for a living- an experience for which i am very thankful. Any time I meet someone who is considering learning to fly- even if for his/her own personal recreation- I am ALWAYS a strong advocate.Learning to fly will do wonders for your self esteem, your self confidence, and your outlook on life. It doesn't sound to me like your hearing has inhibited you from getting the best out of life in general- and it won't inhibit you from thoroughly enjoying flying on your own. It might not be glamorous- but sometimes the best flights are those where it is just you, the airplane, and the big marble we call earth spread out around you.So get that job back- and get that PPL... Don't sweat the cost- in the great scheme of things- it isn't that much money when compared to what you'll earn during your entire life.
Matthew-Back in 2002, Robert and I had a very similar discussion. I completed my PPL about a year later and then my instrument rating after that. Robert was absolutely right on with the benefits he described. It was one of the best investments I have made. It has been a wonderful experience and has brought enjoyment and benefits to my life I never expected. I echo Robert's comments, go for it!

I will be there on the 20th for the final day. Flying inn tomorrow on of our regular DXB-SFO trips. Three of the four pilots are coming(myself included). We land in SFO on the 19th and driving to Reno that afternoon. My first Reno, really looking forward to it. How do I find you and your airplane. I would love to stop by for a chat if your still around on the 20th.Chris.

Quick update (I'll try to post some pics later tonight)RSR's SJN-6, Grace 8, placed FIRST in the T-6 Silver race today and will compete for the silver medal on Sunday! It was the most exciting race of the day, as it was very close between Grace 8 and Big Red for the whole race. Most of the unlimited and sport class races involved one plane getting way out ahead and lapping others etc. Very cool event to see on the whole though, this is my first time going and I was impressed!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Quick update (I'll try to post some pics later tonight)RSR's SJN-6, Grace 8, placed FIRST in the T-6 Silver race today and will compete for the silver medal on Sunday! It was the most exciting race of the day, as it was very close between Grace 8 and Big Red for the whole race. Most of the unlimited and sport class races involved one plane getting way out ahead and lapping others etc. Very cool event to see on the whole though, this is my first time going and I was impressed!
Congrats on the 1st place.... Thats excellent news... It must be a blast throwing the bird around the pylons...Here's to you guys bringing home the Silver Medal on Sunday... Best of luck and skill and be carefull out there...JB