Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

Good news from PMDG !

If there's no 2D, it's not for me!Here's why. (Fokker 100 near Juneau AK)
OK, nice shots. But this is horrible perspective. As a real life pilot I find 2D panels so twisting the perspective that later when I transition to real aircraft I find my sim flying totally alien and unhelpful in my real life flying. And this GPS in the Fokker 100 :( - not my cup of tea.

Guest Tingoose
OK, nice shots. But this is horrible perspective. As a real life pilot I find 2D panels so twisting the perspective that later when I transition to real aircraft I find my sim flying totally alien and unhelpful in my real life flying. And this GPS in the Fokker 100 :( - not my cup of tea.
Couldn't agree more.

Guest PPSFA

I've been flying since 1970 and not once in all that time have I found that "2D panels so twisting the perspective that later when I transition to real aircraft I find my sim flying totally alien and unhelpful in my real life flying" The day my sim flying even remotly affects my real life flying is the last day I fly a sim. I'm with Alex on this, I don't care how good the plane is or who makes it. I use both VC and 2D and to have 1/2 my options limited means my resources (money) go elseware. It's a shame because I try to support every developer who makes a quality product, and their MD11 is one of my favorites.

The Fokker freeware leaves a bit to be desired in the panel. In fact almost all 2D panels were designed for a single monitor-hence the use of popups to conserve monitor real estate. What is needed are 2D panels designed to take advantage of the space available with multiple monitors. The scenery design & organization in Flight Simulator works extremely well with the extra width that monitors 2 & 3 generate- but the airplane designers have yet to catch up & take advantage.Panning and Zooming to me is far more unrealistic as the means of creating a "real life"view, than are the current 2D panels.I'll argue that when the chips are down, I'll choose VIEW and sacrifice panel fidelity. That was the case with the Air Canada 767 "Gimli Glider" that got down safely after running out of fuel. No electrical power except RAT BUT they had VIEW!C'mon designers- wake up to the 2D panel potential in multi monitor sim arrangements!Alex ReidBonanza on final for CYVR R8L. All that monitor space and not yet a good integrated 2D panel to make use of it!

Truly embarrassed to say...but I'm not "fluent" with the FMS navigation. I know...I should be, but I'm not. Guess I finally have to learn it, don't I?Stan

This is another amazing add-on from PMDG but I'm a little disappointed with the framerates. From what they were talking about leading up to release I was expecting something really smooth but it's not that much better than the F1 Mustang or MD-11, FPS-wise.-Alex

Truly embarrassed to say...but I'm not "fluent" with the FMS navigation.
Stan, which aircraft are you referring to? In something like a lower flying turboprop (JS4100) there is even less need for an FMS - you can get by flying visually (on short legs) or just follow VORs. But in terms of complexity of an FMS - the JS4100 is equipped with a relatively simple FMS, much simpler then what you find in Boeings, Airbuses and Embraers so if you ever wanted to learn one - this would be a perfect one to tackle.

C'mon designers- wake up to the 2D panel potential in multi monitor sim arrangements!Alex ReidBonanza on final for CYVR R8L. All that monitor space and not yet a good integrated 2D panel to make use of it!
AlexI've noticed you to take every opportunity to showcase your fancy panel setup :( While I appreciate your enthusiasm for multi screen 2D panel setups, your way is not the way to go for the very large majority. Being a real-world flyer too I can say what you see you in front of you is nothing like the 2D panel setup you have. It may well be comfortable for you, but please do not imply it's the only way to go.Did you know that by flying only the 2D panel setup your missing out on a lot of modern features that make the experience so much more realistic, such as many kinds of turbulence and latency effects and like with the L39, icing and fogging effects?Did you know that ANY 3D cockpit can also be flown in multi-screen? Check this video. Combine that with something like Track IR. Wow!

Wow one of the best looking VC's EVER!!Being a TH2Go & TiR user I haven't used 2d panels in years, I used to re-size the 2d panels to fit but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. The way PMDG has done the VC in the JS41 is the way it should be done at least for my configuration.

Stan, which aircraft are you referring to? In something like a lower flying turboprop (JS4100) there is even less need for an FMS - you can get by flying visually (on short legs) or just follow VORs. But in terms of complexity of an FMS - the JS4100 is equipped with a relatively simple FMS, much simpler then what you find in Boeings, Airbuses and Embraers so if you ever wanted to learn one - this would be a perfect one to tackle.
I will indeed give this one a go. It's time I get with it!Stan

AlexI've noticed you to take every opportunity to showcase your fancy panel setup :( While I appreciate your enthusiasm for multi screen 2D panel setups, your way is not the way to go for the very large majority. Being a real-world flyer too I can say what you see you in front of you is nothing like the 2D panel setup you have. It may well be comfortable for you, but please do not imply it's the only way to go.Did you know that by flying only the 2D panel setup your missing out on a lot of modern features that make the experience so much more realistic, such as many kinds of turbulence and latency effects and like with the L39, icing and fogging effects?Did you know that ANY 3D cockpit can also be flown in multi-screen? Check this video. Combine that with something like Track IR. Wow!
Agreed that the 2D panel is somewhat disorganized due to popups being used to flesh it out across the screens. But for low and slow at least, the 145

Truly embarrassed to say...but I'm not "fluent" with the FMS navigation. I know...I should be, but I'm not. Guess I finally have to learn it, don't I?Stan
As they say, now or never. I have no payware add-ons and through the iFly 747 and the internet I have learned the Boeing FMC inside and out, and let me tell you. At first its very intimidating. I gave up trying to fly the 747 after I found out about the FMC, but a few months later I came back. The internet is a great resource and there are many websites that can show you the full FMS or just a quick guide to get you started with a particular FMC, weather it be real life or FS. If you learn how to use an FMC and the FMS in the plane your probably going to cause yourself a lot less trouble and you'll know how to control everything efficiently and correctly. It's seriously not that difficult and you can learn how to program your flight plan in the FMC to weight and balance, etc all in a few hours. BTW, download anybody that has any complex add-on aircraft... Download PDFKneeboard, it is very handy.PDFKneeboard: http://code.google.com/p/fscode/wiki/PDFKneeboard